Is first gear too tall?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on first gear. 

If you don't pull the clutch, it seems like the engine wants to start lugging at about 30 km/h and below (about 18mp/h), even in B mode. That can't be right. I feel like Im forced to feather the clutch constantly in traffic and unless the car ahead of me rockets forward, I have to VERY SLOWLY let out the clutch when accelerating at every stop light, and put extra focus into not lugging the engine (especially during the break-in period). There are a lot of streets around here that are 30km/h zones and too many people drive even slower, so I feel like I'm on the clutch all the time. Only going to about 5600 RPM the bike can easily do 50km/h (30mp/h) in first gear. Is it just that I've never had a bike with this much oomph before, or is this bizarre? 

ive actually had the same thing going on... ive rode many bikes, from single cylinder thumpers, to v8 behemouths.
this is common but not always.

ive been having what i would say a slight issue with the throttle upon start. from a stop, you really need to concentrate on the clutch pull and throttle because the engine lugs alot. seems like you really need alot of trottle to get the bike moving without lugging.

does anyone know what "Lugging" the engine on this bike really is? at what rpm at what speed in what gear.... sometimes i just feel like im alittle to high in the gear range

what speed are you guys going in first gear if the bike is just idling?

Don't know. Trying not to lug the engine during break in, and that's exactly what happens if I let go of the throttle and let it pull itself.

It's idle at stop is about 1,200, which the manual says is normal, but it seems to start lugging below about 2,500 - 3,000 RPM (it's crap weather today, or I'd get out and confirm that number).

Next dry day, I'll get out there and write things down. I don't like speaking in rough guesses.

Guest eatpasta
I would assume that you could let the clutch out and just let the bike idle and it will pull itself along....doubt that would cause any harm to the engine.

Just curious. Tall first gears are annoying!

I wrote about this in another thread. I agree 1st seems a little tall for the bike's weight and intended purpose. I think the issue is aggravated somewhat by the lack of flywheel mass, too. Combine those two things and it makes for tricky launches from a standstill.

To answer a question someone asked, the bike is moving around 7 mph in first gear at idle, but the engine is not happy doing this. It's too cammy and it bucks when you try and do that. 

What size front sprocket do these come with?
Sounds like it is geared high/long perhaps they've geared it up from the fz09 to give it more top end. 
I'd drop it a tooth on the front sprocket maybe?

What size front sprocket do these come with?Sounds like it is geared high/long perhaps they've geared it up from the fz09 to give it more top end. 
I'd drop it a tooth on the front sprocket maybe?
Front & rear sprockets are the same on the FJ & FZ-09's. 16 front, 45 rear.   

Guest eatpasta
I wrote about this in another thread. I agree 1st seems a little tall for the bike's weight and intended purpose. I think the issue is aggravated somewhat by the lack of flywheel mass, too. Combine those two things and it makes for tricky launches from a standstill. 
To answer a question someone asked, the bike is moving around 7 mph in first gear at idle, but the engine is not happy doing this. It's too cammy and it bucks when you try and do that. 
 Interesting.....is the FZ the same way?  I would imagine that it is considering its essentially the exact same bike at its core

I find that the gearing is perfectly fine when running in STD riding mode. However, when in "A" mode you have to be more careful starting out and also going through low-speed turns in 1st gear.

One of the things that swayed the decision for me in favor of the FJ-09 compared to the Tiger 800 was the gearing. The Yammy had:

15% lower 1st gear
7-8% lower 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears
5% lower 5th gear
1% higher 6th gear

I don't like a tall 1st gear but I do like a tall 6th gear. The Yammy also has a higher redline, more overall torque, and more top-end power (115 hp vs. 95 hp).

So, if you think the FJ-09 has a tall first gear, try the Triumph Tiger 800 on for size. :)

I find that the gearing is perfectly fine when running in STD riding mode. However, when in "A" mode you have to be more careful starting out and also going through low-speed turns in 1st gear. 
One of the things that swayed the decision for me in favor of the FJ-09 compared to the Tiger 800 was the gearing. The Yammy had:

15% lower 1st gear
7-8% lower 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears
5% lower 5th gear
1% higher 6th gear

I don't like a tall 1st gear but I do like a tall 6th gear. The Yammy also has a higher redline, more overall torque, and more top-end power (115 hp vs. 95 hp).

So, if you think the FJ-09 has a tall first gear, try the Triumph Tiger 800 on for size. :)
Yes I'm on the Tiger 800 now and first gear is definitely tall.  I killed it from a standing start a few times right after I bought it.  Since then I've learned to feather the clutch and match the revs but I still have to "think" about it.  I hope the FJ-09 is better than that.  I hope it gives off less radiant heat than the Tiger as well!!

Archived