Why did you buy your FJ-09?

• Premium Member
I was looking for a bike to replace my DL1000 V Strom that was getting a little long in the tooth. I used it to do a Great Divide Ride, and a ride to the Arctic Circle. I had it fitted with Jesse Panniers, and a Wolfman tank bag. I went equipped to camp along the way, and did so quite a bit. When I turned 70, I decided that camping on the ground was no longer that attractive what with the set up and tear down involved. I also decided I had done enough dirt road riding, and would probably stick to paved surfaces if at all possible. I was attracted to the FZ-09 because of the weight and the engine, but put off by what it would entail to get it into touring shape. Then came the FJ, and a lot of questions were answered in a very handsome package. And, with a bit of farkling, it would be a great mid-weight tourer. I like the weight, the engine performance, and, after suspension re-work, the handling.

My objective was to keep it as light as possible and maintain the lean profile. I opted for the SW Motech Blaze saddlebags and Ventura luggage system. My goal was to pack everything in a 90 liter or less luggage space, and keep it all as close to the rear axle as possible. I don't tour with a passenger. A Madstad 22" screen took care of the buffeting and wind noise issues. The Corbin saddle took care of the sore butt problem and the Traxxion Dynamics AK20s' along with the Penske Double Clicker took care of the handling. I also opted for the 2wheel flash and the Motorcycle Cruise Control while I had the tank off, both worth every penny! And I have other farkles that I picked up from members of this forum which I am extremely grateful for!
So, I bought my FJ-09 to have fun with, and so far, mission accomplished!
What's your story?

• Premium Member
As we all know there are so many brands out there that choosing is mind boggling. I came to realize that I had to be honest with myself in what I was looking to do with a new bike. The FJ kept drawing me in. I researched it for over eight months with a demo ride starting that journey. I'm very happy with my choice.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

This was my second bike. My first bike was a SFV650 that i put 12,000miles on it. I loved the bike, but I wanted more power. From riding my sfv I realized I valued low end tq over high rpm power, I used by bike more and more as a daily driver so I needed something more suited to that and I valued nimble handling. I almost bought a fz-09 and would have had to outfit it for more commuter duties, but along came the fj and it fit me like a glove. Aside from the horrible wind noise about the only thing I miss is the sound of a vtwin, the tripple sounds good, but it just can't compare.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

To put it as simple as possible I wanted a sport touring bike with a engine that wasn't "retuned for sport touring" I've heard nothing but great things about the FZ-09's engine, when I found out the FJ-09 was coming and the price it was I knew I wanted one.

I have yet to ride mine as It's the middle of winter, but I have a new white one waiting to be picked up from the dealer as soon as all this snow melts.

• Premium Member
A clever dealer loaned me an MT/FZ07 when my Super Tenere was serviced. The MT07 is a great bike but I wanted something better for longer trips to Continental Europe. 4 months later the MT09 Tracer demo bike arrived and I was the first customer to get a go. Placed an order the same week as the engine and lower weight impressed. Happy so far.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I went out looking at the FZ1 as I've had them in the past and enjoyed them very much. While checking the local dealers I found the FJ-09 and started doing some research, and I liked the fact that it was a new model with the traction control and abs. I don't commute or take long trips anymore so the lighter weight and plenty of power were very appealing to me and $9200 price tag sealed the deal. My favorite thing besides the power to weight ratio is how easy the luggage is to remove and replace, and I've had allot of bikes and this is by far one of my favorites.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09

2015 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail

2015 Polaris Rzr Xp1000

• Premium Member
It's a fairly long story, but I will try to keep it short. I have owned a lot of bikes over the years, and I have always gravitated towards sport bikes. My all time favorite bike was my '09 Speed Triple. Enter Wife 2.0 who loves riding and traveling, and I needed something more accommodating.

My local Suzuki dealer tried to scam me on a left-over 2014 V-Strom 1000 (price bait and switch). The Triumph Tiger felt like a bigger/better V-Strom 650 (extremely competent, but not very exciting), and the Versys 1000 felt heavier than what I was looking for.

One test ride on an FJ-09, and I knew I had the right bike. 3200 miles later, and I couldn't be happier.

• Premium Member
I was a re-entry rider after a seven year break. Based on past experience I knew I wanted a sport tourer, something like a Bandit or Sprint. Both were gone, so I looked at the FZ-1 but was unhappy with the riding position.

I had just about settled on the new Versys 1000LT, but then I noticed the FJ-09. It offered a similar riding position and technology (ABS, TC), but the FJ undercut the Versys by 70 pounds and was $3000 cheaper at my local Kaw/Yam dealer. These two things made the decision easy.

• Premium Member
My knees and right arm had been making it very clear to me for over three years that my beloved Daytona 675 was no longer suitable for more than a 2 hour ride. Since I like to ride 300+ miles in a day it was time to go shopping. Didn't see anything I liked for 2 years and then the FJ was announced.
Once I read that the FJ had a triple in it all I had to do was convince myself to buy what seemed like an elephant of a bike compared to the Daytona.
7,000 miles later I am one happy guy.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Wanted something lighter than my S10, without losing much power and still having the comfort of a dual sport riding position..... the new V Strom 1000 was on my radar at the time, then i test rode the Tracer.
I was sold on it within an hour of riding it. Rode back to the dealer on the demo bike and did the deal on a new one, trading in my S10 for it.
A year on, i've never regretted it.

I was considering a V Strom, BMW GS or honda's africa twin but after reflections. I am better keeping my '99 DR 350 for on & off road uses. This bike doesn't break even if dropped 10 times. Its light and cheap to ride. For 2-up rides, trip and commuting. The FJ09 is a blast! This is my first brand new bike and I'm in love. I was tired of heavy bike like my super blackbird and the inclined driving position. Tired of high mileage used bikes that are more than 15 years old. The FJ is light, fast and full of technology. Led headlight, 12v plug, adjustable seat and windscreen position, crossplane 3 cylinder engine, etc. Its the first bike since my 2002 VFR that I want to keep as long as I can. 

Archived