Couple Day Trips, Breaking In The New FJ-09

michael

• Premium Member
I find Highway 89 over Monitor Pass kind of boring. I don't like the arid Eastern Sierra landscape nearly as much as I like the West side, and although Highway 89 is nice pavement, it is just not demanding enough to get my attention. The only interesting part of it for me is the ride down from the summit to 395 where there are some interesting downhill switchbacks.

I mostly just use it as a way to connect the Highway 4 Ebbett's Pass route to the Highway 108 Sonora Pass route, both of which I find exhilarating and demanding.

• Premium Member
I had a phenomenal ride over Tioga once, no traffic at all on a Sunday in June. Impossible? Not if you enter the park at sunrise. I passed through Lee Vining around 5:30am and hit the park entrance before 6:00am so I didn't even have to pay the entrance fee. With the sun rising at my back the light was amazing, and I had the road completely to myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
My friend termed our back and forth rides over the Sierra passes "doing the zipper". Makes no sense at all, but the name stuck. So much fun and so much great scenery. We typically meet up in Oakdale (since some live in the San Jose area) and then roll out hwy 132. It is a fun little way to brush off the mental cobwebs and be ready for more challenging roads.
Hwy 41 done on a weekday, post labor day can be a glorious experience. The curves and all the corner cambers make me feel like a hawk swooping thru the forests.
Also, hwy 198 thru Sequoia is a beautiful and run road and the endless hair pins at the southern end can be quite fun if you get lucky with traffic.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

My friend termed our ................................. Also, hwy 198 thru Sequoia is a beautiful and run road and the endless hair pins at the southern end can be quite fun if you get lucky with traffic.

Cheers
Last year I rode over from Laguna on Thursday before the races and did 180/198 through Sequoia NP.  On the North end I came up the hill on hwy 245 making both the No. and So. very twisty.  This was one of the best rides I did last year.  I was lucky that there was almost 0 traffic on both these roads.  I don't expect that to happen again. Excellent Choice.  As I recall, I counted 365 turns on 245, and it felt like 465 turns, it could have been 465 as there are so many 15mph corners, one after the other for 20 miles that it is hard to maintain concentration on counting.  I consider any road with 10 curves/mile twisty, otherwise not, as the road may have twisty sections, but not twisty as a whole, and should be at least 5mile long.  Hwy 245 is twisty starting about 20+ miles before Hwy 180.  I was very happy I was on the FJ vs the FJR.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
My friend termed our ................................. Also, hwy 198 thru Sequoia is a beautiful and run road and the endless hair pins at the southern end can be quite fun if you get lucky with traffic.

Cheers
Last year ..... Hwy 245 is twisty starting about 20+ miles before Hwy 180.  I was very happy I was on the FJ vs the FJR.
Hwy 245 is on my short list.  Hope to pick it off this summer.  It is kind of a haul from Santa Rosa, but my friends and I know we need to hit it.Glad you had such a good time on it! 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Last year ..... Hwy 245 is twisty starting about 20+ miles before Hwy 180.  I was very happy I was on the FJ vs the FJR.
Hwy 245 is on my short list.  Hope to pick it off this summer.  It is kind of a haul from Santa Rosa, but my friends and I know we need to hit it.Glad you had such a good time on it!
Great road but sanded right now. Its 30-40 miles from my back yard going the even twistier back way. Hywy 245 to Miramonte is where I was riding this last Wednesday when I ran into my first issue with my FJ-09 and no start.  
If you time it right, try Mountain House for some good eats. Breakfast and lunch only though. The bread pudding with whiskey sauce is dynamite. 

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

My friend termed our back and forth rides over the Sierra passes "doing the zipper". Makes no sense at all, but the name stuck. So much fun and so much great scenery. We typically meet up in Oakdale (since some live in the San Jose area) and then roll out hwy 132. It is a fun little way to brush off the mental cobwebs and be ready for more challenging roads. Hwy 41 done on a weekday, post labor day can be a glorious experience. The curves and all the corner cambers make me feel like a hawk swooping thru the forests.
Also, hwy 198 thru Sequoia is a beautiful and run road and the endless hair pins at the southern end can be quite fun if you get lucky with traffic.

Cheers
Let me know if your group heads down this way. There's  lots of very scenic country back roads with days of riding I'd be happy to suggest. Spring and Fall is best as summer is too dang hot. I'm heading up Trimmer Springs Rd along Pine Flat Reservoir tomorrow. Full of Poppies and wild flowers right now as its an early spring here.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member

Let me know if your group heads down this way. There's  lots of very scenic country back roads with days of riding I'd be happy to suggest. Spring and Fall is best as summer is too dang hot. I'm heading up Trimmer Springs Rd along Pine Flat Reservoir tomorrow. Full of Poppies and wild flowers right now as its an early spring here.
Thanks.  I appreciate the offer of good intel! Let me know if you head towards the northbay (San Francisco north) and I will fill you in on what I like to ride and where to eat.Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived