The Patient Is Ready

• Premium Member
The operating room has been cleaned and the patient has been prepped for surgery. 
I will get more pics of the actual surgery up a little later...this is so much more interesting than football.

Very organized garage. You should see mine, crap everywhere, two cars, and two motorcycles!! Have fun.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Well, we were at it from 9:00am until 7:00 tonite....and we are still not done. We have the crash bars, wheel stripes, GPS mount and windshield left to mount. Will get back after it in the morning. Should be done by noon. I had to make a couple of harnesses for the Knuckle Guards so everything is plug and play with OEM connectors. That slowed us down a bit, but it is very nice to use the OEM style connectors...everything looks so good when you are done. I do have one other item that is delayed...Mama Yamaha must have had a few employees goofing off when they were packing my OEM Yamaha Rear Rack...we opened the packing and noticed they managed to include 2 right side mounts in the package instead of a right AND left. Called the dealer I got it from, a left side bracket is on the way. Should get to that sometime next week.

I'm just about to fit the crash bars, did you have the bike on the center stand when you removed the bolt at the bottom on the LHS and did you need to support the bike as the long bolt holds the center stand on the bike?

That bolt you are referring to is the rear engine mount bolt. It runs completely thru to the other side. I supported the engine with my jack. Just enough pressure to hold it. I drove the bolt out from the right side with a piece of rod and let that rod sit inside just in case. Gently tapped the bolt back thru when reassembly. Didn't have any problems. We are wrapping up for this go round. We will have one more day wrenching later this winter to finish a few things. I have my oiler and cruise control left to install. I am waiting to get the cruise control from McCruise. We decided to wait till we have that to tear into removing the tank. We want to do that job once. Pics are coming. The boy is out putting on the wheel stripes as I type...

Once he gets the wheel stripes on in the rear we will install the rear fender and call it a weekend. Here are a few photos of what we do in Minnesota in the winter...this is as close to riding as we get. A nice toasty 70 degrees in the garage. Thank God for unit heaters...

P1315204_zps9fna69zo.jpg

The missing link...bracket is on the way...

P1315205_zpsl9ktrarn.jpg

New front turn signals and Knuckle Guards, mirror extanders, VStream, Fender Extender...

P1315207_zpsr1ruahjx.jpg

New view from the cockpit...

P1315208_zpsmitv6qtk.jpg

Givi in place...

P1315209_zpsiinnkupf.jpg

Great work there desertfjr!!

I'm loving the look of that screen. I've seen from another thread on here this is a new manufacturer VStream?
Is it the medium or tall version.

Also, how did you mount the GPS above the instrument panel???  Special brackets???

k

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

The windscreen is the new tall VStream unit from National Cycle.

The GPS was mounted using the old support bracket for the stock windshield and a slight modification to the RAM Ball mount that came with the unit. I milled off the two support "arms" with the rubber bumpers that back the stock screen. I then took the bar mount that came with the GPS and milled it down to thin it down by about 3/16". I drilled the mount in the center and put a second sheet metal screw in it for lateral stability. The ball lands just about perfectly centered in the gap between the windshield and dash pod. Wired the GPS into the power supply for the second power outlet. It comes on when the key is turned on.

• Premium Member
Looks great! Which flush mount turn signals did you use?  

I just finished putting on my OEM heated grips, knuckleguard lights (amber version with turn signal module), and some LED strips on the radiator as seen in this thread.  So the turn signals are next, but I've seen extremely cheap up to $100 a pair, and with all the other light up front my concern is a cheap set might be too dim.

Here are the turn signals...

Flush Mount Turn Signals

I did make a mod for the FJ. I used a fender washer that I bend in the shape of the opening, basically a triangular cup, as a retainer to get the light to pull down flush and stay centered in the opening. The plastic retainer just wasn't cutting it.

They are VERY BRIGHT! I have the turn signal circuit wired into the knuckle guards also. Makes for a very busy indicator of turn signals that should be harder to miss by other drivers.

Archived