FJ vs First Gen FZ1 in the twisties

So at the beginning of the fall I traded my '05 FZ1 for the FJ and 1600 miles later I really love this bike! I haven't had the chance to get the new bike anywhere that there are some good twisties, here in northern Indiana it is straight flat and square. I like to get at least one trip to the Smoky Mountains in each and was wondering how the FJ does. I do get the feeling that maybe the FJ has a little less cornering clearance? So for those of you that can compare I was wondering how the two bikes compare in the twisties?

Having never ridden an FZ1, I am not qualified to comment on its cornering abilities. However, our FJ's have more than enough clearance for even *very* spirited on-road riding. I have several roundabouts quite close by that I use as my own personal "skid pads" and I can tell you that I have gradually increased my speed around those until I've eliminated all but about 3mm of the chicken strips on either side of the back tire. I have yet to touch down the peg feelers and this bike has been lowered approx. 15 - 20 mm fore and aft.

And that's about as much as I'll ever do on the street - I always want to leave myself a wee bit of a safety margin just in case I come upon a surprise bit of spooge on the road...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Hotboot would be more qualified at answering this question than me as I never got near to testing the cornering clearance of either bike. I personally feel more confident and find it easier to ride my FJ as compared to my 03 FZ1. FYI my FZ had the R6 shock and the forks overhauled and set for my weight.

I'm not sure how far you are from the Bloomington/Nashville IN area but there are some surprisingly half decent roads down there. I lived in Indianapolis for many years.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

Hotboot would be more qualified at answering this question than me as I never got near to testing the cornering clearance of either bike. I personally feel more confident and find it easier to ride my FJ as compared to my 03 FZ1. FYI my FZ had the R6 shock and the forks overhauled and set for my weight. 
I'm not sure how far you are from the Bloomington/Nashville IN area but there are some surprisingly half decent roads down there. I lived in Indianapolis for many years.
From where I'm at it's about a four hour ride down there to the Bloomington/Nashville area, but I am well familiar with those roads and usually take a weekend trip down there and love it! I've had my FZ1 to Deals Gap many times and really put that bike through its paces, that is why I was looking for a comparison. Thanks for the responses! 

• Premium Member
I had a first gen FZ1, but I had GP fork internals and Penske shock. It did fine in the twisties, but not as good as my F-Jay. Probably due to the lightness of the F-Jay? It was a great bike though with all my mods. The FZ1 always felt top heavy to me. I have also added Andreani fork internal and Penske shock to my F-Jay, and now it rails. I removed the hero bobs and do not scrape anymore. On the track nothing touched down, but I have seen the center stand touch down on a friends bike, but he was well over 250 lbs (maybe over 300 lbs, sorry buddy), stock suspension, and rode that thing like a Moto Gp bike. For the average mortal (myself included), there is nary a problem. I rode Friday and Saturday in the twisties, and the smile is still there. Ty and I were chasing a BMW s1000xr through lower Big Tujunga, and he could not loose us. He let us pass, and we could not loose him. It was fun. Did I mention I love this bike?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

ULEWZ, that is awesome and I love to hear it. I did get out for a little riding yesterday, but it's winter here and there's not been much riding for a couple months, temps have been mostly below freezing until the last couple days. I'm getting a little stir crazy and ready for some real riding! Plus, I am anxious to try this bike out somewhere where there are some real corners!

Had an FZ 05 sold Ito a friend.
Bought an FJ09 back in August have 3800 miles on it.
I am tall 6'3" and about 220 pounds. I did the suspension on the FJ09 with Traxxion ($$$$) on and put a new Penske shock on the back. I can tell you the FJ09 rides better than the FZ1.
More flixable, lighter, and steers better overall. The suspension made a huge difference.
I like the way I fit on the FZ 09 compared to the first generation FZ1.
The FZ09 handles about 85% of what my Ducati multi-Strada can do.

I currently ride a Gen1 Fazer 1000 (what you call an FZ1) with the R6 rear shock fitted. Last September I hired a Tracer in southern Spain for three days on some of the best roads in Europe. Riding solo, the Tracer was great fun as being a little lighter then the Fazer, and having a more upright seat with wider bars, it felt more flickable and was thoroughly enjoyable on the roads to Ronda, and was at least as good as the Gen1. However, with a pillion, the suspension on the Tracer was totally overwhelmed making it a handful to maintain progress. The lack of comfort from the seat became a factor pretty quickly almost to the point where it stopped being fun to ride. I have not bought a Tracer yet and though I am still tempted, I will wait and see what solutions existing buyers come up with to sort the suspension and seat.

• Premium Member
I currently ride a Gen1 Fazer 1000 (what you call an FZ1) with the R6 rear shock fitted. Last September I hired a Tracer in southern Spain for three days on some of the best roads in Europe. Riding solo, the Tracer was great fun as being a little lighter then the Fazer, and having a more upright seat with wider bars, it felt more flickable and was thoroughly enjoyable on the roads to Ronda, and was at least as good as the Gen1. However, with a pillion, the suspension on the Tracer was totally overwhelmed making it a handful to maintain progress. The lack of comfort from the seat became a factor pretty quickly almost to the point where it stopped being fun to ride. I have not bought a Tracer yet and though I am still tempted, I will wait and see what solutions existing buyers come up with to sort the suspension and seat.
Many options are already in play and amply reviewed here on the forum. "Search" up on the task bar at the top is your friend. Just type in what you want to see, and click search. You gonna like it! If you are going to ask a question about a post, be sure and click "Quote" up on the right hand side so we will know who you are addressing. And most of all, welcome! 

I'm a fat guy that rides aggressively in the twisties (slow end of fast group at the average track day). Stock it does about as well as my '02 FZ1 did stock. Until I at least re-spring it's not on a par with the FZ1 with re-sprung + re-valved forks and a penske shock. Don't anticipate any clearance issues compared the to the FZ. My butt likes the stock seat a lot better than the stock FZ1 seat. Eventually I'll probably do a ride in at Bill Mayer Saddles as I did with the FZ1.
I remember your screen name from the FZ1 forum and I'm glad to see your input! My FZ1 had the stock suspension, but I never knew enough to complain about it. To me the bike just felt like it was on rails and I was able to push it as far as I was comfortable to go, which certainly was not slow. The reason I mentioned clearance is there is so much more legroom, but then again the seat seems a bit higher too. Thanks for the input, I'm loving my FJ so far! 

As PEPoerter observed: "Many options are already in play and amply reviewed here on the forum..."

I tend to agree, by searching this site diligently, I have been able to find many writeups and reviews for virtually every farkle available for these bikes. And there are quite a few reviews of the various suspension mods and the companies making them: Penske, Traxxion, Race Tech, etc., etc.

We are fortunate indeed that the FZ-09 predates the FJ-09 since they became our lab rats for all of these wonderful products. I am really quite amazed at how much stuff is out there for a bike that is just now entering its 2nd production year.

FWIW, my bike has a full Race Tech Gold Valve and springs setup up front and a heavier duty Race Tech spring out back. And I'd have to say that it is one of the better suspensions I've ever ridden. It's a wee bit firm, yet still supple, when riding 1-up with no baggage and such attached. I'm betting that after allowing a few more miles to accumulate (less than 500 mi. right now) and when I do go to full-on Tour mode, it'll be nice and cushy without wallowing about like a drunken sailor with 3 daze of liberty ...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

So at the beginning ................ I like to get at least one trip to the Smoky Mountains in each and was wondering how the FJ does. I do get the feeling that maybe the FJ has a little less cornering clearance? So for those of you that can compare I was wondering how the two bikes compare in the twisties?
I have ridden two FZ-1's back to back with my FZ-09.  I know, FJ and FZ niners are different, but similar in the twisties.  I pretty much go by how I place with the other guys I ride with all the time.  First, I can't ride as fast as my friend on his FZ1, on my FJR, on my FZ-09 or my FJ-09.  Six years ago, I could ride faster then him on my FJR, him on his FZ-1, but we are talking no more than 2-300 feet difference in 10 miles of very twisty roads.  Now, I lag on all my bikes by about 1200 feet in 10 miles.  Conclusion, it is all good and we pretty much end up at the same place with in seconds.  I have found, over time, being faster isn't important.  Arriving safely is.  Know your skill level and ride around 96% of that to keep alert and to stay with in range of your friends.  End the end, these two bikes work well together and are good matches for having a great time in the twisties.  It won't be the bike that separates you from your friends, it will be your ride skill level.  To answer your question:  They are pretty much equal in the twisties, but so very much different bikes.  The FZ-1, you will run above 6-7K rpm in the twisties, while the FJ can be run as low as 4K or you can run it at 6-7K.  If the FZ-1 is run at 4K in the twisties, the FJ will pull ahead. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I would like to be able to say thanks for the advice, but I have already used the search bar. More than once. At the moment, the cost of basic saddle and suspension options puts a new Tracer into Versys 1000 territory, and in my mind, there is no clear winner in that competition. One option I am looking at is that the high sales numbers and rider discomfort means there will be quite a few low mileage second handers on the market in spring/early summer that will depress the price further and that might make it a more tempting option.

• Premium Member
This is probably not very useful, but I rode a friend's 1st gen FZ-1 back-to-back in the twisties with the TT600 I had at the time. I was impressed by the motor on the FZ, but in terms of handling it was kind of a tank compared to the Triumph.

Compared to the TT my FJ certainly lacks suspension quality and brake feel, but "tank" isn't a word I would use. The FJ offers a similar flickability and user friendliness to the TT, but with vastly superior power and ergos.

So following the logic that if A=B and B=C then A=C, I'd say the FJ is more fun in the twisties than the FZ. Like I said, probably useless.

Archived