Side bags or Top Box ?

ilanr1

• Premium Member
What is better in terms of price , functionality and of course what is more practical , please share your thoughts with me. 
Thanks 
For me, it's not a question of which is better, I use both, but not in combination. Top Box (Givi V47) in town, for commuting and going to the shop etc. I have side cases (Shad) for longer trips away when I need the capacity. I supplement the side cases with a Kriega dry bag for tools and heavy items such as locks and chains. When I get to the destination, for day trips I use the Kriega bag and tank bag. The tank bag is also very handy during the commute. I have a Bagster cover and tank bag, although I have now ordered a SW Motech tank bag - the Bagster tank cover works well but they don't have a bag that fits the tank shape.

• Premium Member
You will find posts about my luggage options in the Accessory section.

Like @johan, I use a topbox for everyday use. This is my trusty Givi E45 used on previous bikes using a Givi SR2122 fitting kit. It's great for the work laptop, spare gloves, puncture kit etc. My helmet fits inside as long as I don't have the laptop with me.

For longer trips where a topbox is not adequate (a very full topbox might cope volume wise but is just too heavy that high up) I use Kappa side cases on Givi monokey rails. Kappa/Givi stuff is interchangeable as they are the same company (just make sure everything is either Monokey or Monolock).

My side cases are Kappa K40 - any one of these cases can be used as a topbox, which is handy when away using a base hotel as I can leave one case in the hotel and take the other as a topbox on a day trip. The K40 cases offer plenty of spare capacity to bring back souvenirs from the trip

I also use a Baglux tankbag on longer trips - I have the universal harness which is okay but you do need to keep tensioning the straps. I use a Baglux Alpha bag which does the job but does interfere with full lock. The Alpha bag is an old retainer that has been in use since 1996. I'm waiting for @johan to identify a bag in the range that works better and beta test it for me. I don't use this for adding capacity rather convenience to hold my phone if it is charging or playing music, hold a paper map or written instructions in the window, documents needed for Eurotunnel, tickets for péage, credit card for tolls & fuel, sunglasses, drink and any other odds & sods needed during a journey.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I think Wessie and Johan pretty much nailed it, top box for everyday, 'round town use and, additionally, panniers for longer outings. Keep in mind that really loading up a top box will severely affect the handling of the bike by noticeably increasing its center of gravity. So try to not do that if you plan on doing any riding that places a premium on handling.

And do not fail to secure, strap down, items contained in a top box. Having a heavy item suddenly slide across the inside of the box whilst mid-turn can lead to a severely ass puckering moment. Don't ask me how I know this....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
I have a different opinion: I prefer sidecases for commuting and daily use because they have less negative effect on handling. Side cases place the weight lower and closer to the center of the bike.

Top cases are easier to load, especially larger objects like helmets. And if you live in a place where you can lane split/filter, side cases reduce clearance. Although, I split lanes all over the SF Bay Area with a BMW K100RS for years and I never hit anything with the factory side cases.

Finally, and most importantly, sidecases look more dignified.

I have the Yamaha City Cases, and the 50 Liter Yamaha trunk with backrest pad.

I bought the bigger trunk because it will fit 2 full face helmets.  My plan was to keep the trunk mostly empty, so that I could stash a helmet or 2 in the trunk when I'm off the bike.

That turned into enough space for 1 helmet, and a bunch of other stuff rattling around in the trunk.

Recently, I bought a small Givi TankLock tankbag, and I intend to keep a lot of the former trunk refuse in the tank bag.  Faceshield spray and rag, ball cap, tire pressure gauge, earplugs, water bottle, etc etc etc.

I'm hoping the tank bag will help me keep the trunk nice and empty, light, and ready to secure helmets again.

• Premium Member
I have a different opinion: I prefer sidecases for commuting and daily use because they have less negative effect on handling. Side cases place the weight lower and closer to the center of the bike. 
Top cases are easier to load, especially larger objects like helmets. And if you live in a place where you can lane split/filter, side cases reduce clearance. Although, I split lanes all over the SF Bay Area with a BMW K100RS for years and I never hit anything with the factory side cases.

Finally, and most importantly, sidecases look more dignified.
you could lane split with a Humvee in SF Bay - not so easy on our roads designed for Roman legionnaires and Saxon donkeys. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

As far as functionality, Practicality and Price a top box wins them all.

I can't stand the look of them. I hate them so much. I'm going to use my side cases for 90% of my luggage needs.
I'm going to put the top box on when my GF comes on longer trips and we need more storage and she wants a back rest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I know Yamaha says you can not run with side and top cases at the same time, but I do all the time. I run Givi v35 side cases and the v46 top case. I have had the bike to over 90 mph in all sorts of weather with no problems other than a slight reduction in mpg. YMMV.

• Premium Member
I have the Hepco and Becker Side hard bags. I like the fact that they top load. They do make a top case but I didn't want that. I'm going to get the top soft bags that strap on top of the hard bags. Still looking for some kind of strapable soft bag for the passenger seat.
The mount frame for these bags are awesome. Very sturdy.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 3 weeks later...
I know Yamaha says you can not run with side and top cases at the same time, but I do all the time. I run Givi v35 side cases and the v46 top case. I have had the bike to over 90 mph in all sorts of weather with no problems other than a slight reduction in mpg. YMMV.
I agree, I don't know why Yamaha say this.  If it's a weight thing, a pillion could weigh more than than luggage.   
If it's a speed thing, I know for a fact that the top-box is good for 180kph, and the combo with side cases is good for 150kph (naturally on a private road/racetrack).  Given Australia generally has a top speed of 110kph, it's a moot point.

I run the Yamaha (made by Givi) top-box around town, it is just too hard to lane split with the side cases.  The side cases go on for longer trips, and I have a net for holding light and bulky gear on the pillion seat (sleeping bag/tent/swag).  

What I do miss is an accessory that I had on my R1150GS; a nice bit of aluminium plate that that replaced the pillion seat, turning it into a rack.

I do the same as well. 
Heck...This past weekend I rode two up, with my Givi E41 side cases and V47 top case all fully loaded with zero issues. Had the bike as fast as 94, and it rode like a dream. Very smooth. We did 400 miles, and managed to average 49.8 MPG!!!! I was VERY impressed.

Archived