D-Mode

Does anyone know why the owners manual states "Do not change the D-Mode while the vehicle is moving"? Is this for safety reasons or can the system be damaged? I've been changing the modes while riding and then I read this in the owners manual. It seems strange to have to come to a complete stop every time you want to change between the different modes.

The Mode is supposed to be changeable only if the bike is at a standstill. This is so someone wouldn't accidentally switch from B Mode to A mode while in the midst of a wheelie and such. Did you get and ECU flash? If so, maybe the stock mechanism has been jiggered with....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
The Mode is supposed to be changeable only if the bike is at a standstill. This is so someone wouldn't accidentally switch from B Mode to A mode while in the midst of a wheelie and such. Did you get and ECU flash? If so, maybe the stock mechanism has been jiggered with....
You can only change the mode if the throttle is closed so you are unlikely to get into any trouble changing mode whilst moving. Just be aware that an MT09 rider may appear to be slowing but will then disappear at a rate of knots as A mode has been engaged. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
You can only change the mode if the throttle is closed so you are unlikely to get into any trouble changing mode whilst moving. Just be aware that an MT09 rider may appear to be slowing but will then disappear at a rate of knots as A mode has been engaged. 
Just like Captain Kirk ordering warp speed!  Everything gets streaked and :o  blurry !!

I think you've confused D-Mode settings with the Traction Control/Anti-Wheelie control. 
The modes, A, Standard, and B, can be changed while underway, so long as the throttle is closed.

The TC can only be turned on or off while the bike is stationary, likely because the TC uses data from the wheel speed sensors.

>> I think you've confused D-Mode settings with the Traction Control/Anti-Wheelie control.<<

Why, I do believe you're right, my bad! As me dear old dad used to say "I was wrong....once"

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
So, (FJ Noob here...) TC is still engaged in "sport" mode? You have to turn it off manually?
yes - and if you turn off TC, next time you cycle the ignition switch, TC will be back on 
a yellow LED lights when TC is turned off
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks.

I've had my FJ a week and just today wound it tight enough to experience my first TC-induced bunny hops.  In standard mode, no less.

I suspect it will be a considerable while before I'm ready for sport mode and TC off.

Damn, I love this bike...

Archived