New variant on the MT/FJ-09 platform

checkereddemon

I think I understand checkerd's sentiments.

To be clear, let me get this out of the way. Not all of humans on the road, at any given time, will be competent drivers and so for the sake of the rest of us, I am absolutely on board with electronic doodads trying to save us from them. On cars and motorcycles and anything else that is going to be out there.

And for the significant number of riders who actually want to further their skills, I believe it is done more safely with the electronic rider aids. A lot of them can add a bigger safety net to experiment in and have 'oh shit' moments without necessarily laying it down most times. The characteristics that you aspire the riders to have can be achieved with the aids and in a safer fashion for all involved.

• Premium Member
I think I understand checkerd's sentiments.  

This is what I got from his post: apparently the best way to learn is to ride a 1960s BSA on Avon Deathslides, mow down a group of nuns at a bus stop whilst shattering your femur into 1000 pieces. You'll come back from your time in hospital and prison a rider who is slightly shorter on one side but having learnt a valuable lesson about the threshold in grip of tyres under unmodulated braking. This will boost your confidence and ability to an extent that you will show everybody your undoubted prowess when riding back to look down your nose at mere mortals at the camp fire. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Whatever, Wessie....

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 3 months later...
I like the look of the XSR900, think they really nailed the styling. I bet it sells well.

I'm a sucker for the flexibility the FJ offers. Same engine. Just as much fun (for me). Better able to hold a passenger/bags.

• Premium Member
During Yamaha Demo Days, I rode both the FJ-09 (which I bought) and the XSR900. The XSR900 seat sucks. Other than that, it's a great bike for twisties. Coming from a Katana, the slipper clutch felt too loose for me. As for looks, the bike is beautiful in person.

Archived