Female rider survey

Can you really flat foot an FZ-09? I am 5'6" and can't do more than put toes down when in gear (I weigh about 185# in full cold weather gear). The suspension is much stiffer than the FZ and will not compress nearly as much.
Yeah, that's "almost flat footing" on the FZ. I have no idea what my inseam is, and my boots have a decent sole. On the hubby's FZ I can very firmly get the balls of my feet down, but my heels won't touch. I still haven't been able to sit on an FJ yet. The stiffer suspension may prove to be a bit of an issue. 20 min until 5pm, then I'm running to the dealer!!

Guest eatpasta
Can you really flat foot an FZ-09? I am 5'6" and can't do more than put toes down when in gear (I weigh about 185# in full cold weather gear). The suspension is much stiffer than the FZ and will not compress nearly as much.
Yeah, that's "almost flat footing" on the FZ. I have no idea what my inseam is, and my boots have a decent sole. On the hubby's FZ I can very firmly get the balls of my feet down, but my heels won't touch. I still haven't been able to sit on an FJ yet. The stiffer suspension may prove to be a bit of an issue. 20 min until 5pm, then I'm running to the dealer!!
 There are a few ways to get the tail of the FJ down if that's what you've decided that you want.  Also as you've stated, the narrowness of the FZ's seat allows you better access to the ground, you might be able to shave the FJ's seat a bit.
    If/when you get one you should start a thread about your findings especially if you start to change to bike to make it suit you.  Im sure there are going to be more ladies interested in the work you put into the bike. 
Maybe you and @puddles can team up on a Lady FJ09 thread as you two will be our leading Female experts.   Hell I think puddles has the most miles on hers by a large margin, so she's the leading expert on the bike around here, period.

Puddles will definitely be the reigning queen of the FJ for some time I think!

And I'm in love! It is on the tall side but I was not in my boots and as had been mentioned, there are ways to bring it down slightly without going to lowering links. I was comfortably on my toes, but not quite the balls of my feet. I'll definitely have to get used to leaning on one foot at stops I think.

Not a huge fan of the aesthetics of the hand guards, and I'd love to see it in red in person too before deciding. Well now off to call my insurance company and see what insurance will set me back!

As a short guy who was used to flat footing his prior bikes, you get used to leaning left pretty quickly. Your three years experience on the Ninjette help a lot since you will at least know to keep the front wheel forward at stops, which prevents most drops anyway. The low seat helps a bit, as does possibly dropping the front end a little, which will sharpen up the steering a little. Increasing preload helps as well, since you probably did not do so for the test sit.

And yes, red is prettier, and faster.  :D

• Premium Member

And I'm in love! It is on the tall side but I was not in my boots and as had been mentioned, there are ways to bring it down slightly without going to lowering links. I was comfortably on my toes, but not quite the balls of my feet. I'll definitely have to get used to leaning on one foot at stops I think.

Not a huge fan of the aesthetics of the hand guards, and I'd love to see it in red in person too before deciding. Well now off to call my insurance company and see what insurance will set me back!

You will buy the bike me thinks. The red color is great. What state are you in? We can all search for you. I know they have both colors in Cali where I live.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I'm in Ohio. I'm having a huge conundrum right now. The ninjette is red, and I've wanted a white or gray bike. But then my hubby bought a gray FZ-09 in October. Looking at the gray in person, it just seems a little dull. But at the same time, I don't really want another red bike...it doesn't match my pink gear. ;) The dealer said that their supplier currently has both colors in stock, and they could have a red one by Tuesday if I ordered it.

Maybe 2015 isn't the year for me. Maybe I'll just be patient for a while longer and see what the future holds for the FJ. Perhaps heated grips and cruise control? Maybe they'll tweak the suspension and gearing and make it a true tourer.

I find out what my 2014 bonus at work is next week...perhaps that amount will allow me to make a decision.

Pics of a red FJ-09 with the hand guards removed. First pic with plastic support bars still on, the later pics with the supports removed too: http://fj-09.org/thread/246/removed-handguards?page=1&scrollTo=2201

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Ooooh hot damn that looks good with the guards removed. How hard was that to do? Looking at the mounts it looks like you have to remove the mirrors and maybe the master cylinder mount?
You have to remove the mirrors (one of them has reverse threads), but not the master cylinder - on that side just undo nut on the bolt at the brake pivot, slide the guard holder off, put the nut back on.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

she is a newby to m/c's.
I recommend she start here riding on a bike similar to the bikes used in the MSF new rider training classes. A used beater about 250cc would be my recommendation, a beater because it's not a matter of[strong][em] if[/em][/strong] an new ride will drop a bike.... it's a matter of [strong][em]when[/em][/strong]! I was a MSF instructor/rider coach for several years and offered this advice to all my new rider students.  After a year or two when she's build her riding skills, street smarts, taken the Experienced Rider Course,  and developed her self confidence she'll be better prepared to decide which bike bests fits her needs. The mistake many new riders make is that their 1st bike is too big, too powerful, too intimidating..... they quickly loose interest and it soon becomes a garage queen.
Paul

This is excellent advice. Don't spoil the experience for her by overwhelming her and increasing the risk of injury. As a new rider she needs confidence, probably the single biggest factor in her learning curve and future enjoyment. Kenny Roberts used to take factory road race riders to his ranch and put them on XR100s until they could flog the snot out of those bikes, then he'd move up in size and speed. 
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

Archived