FJ-09: The Obvious Choice

caferacer

• Premium Member
Hey all, two-stroke/v-twin/cafe racer (and future sport tourer) enthusiast checking in! Hoping to pick up an FJ-09 soon, first accessory will likely be luggage, any suggestions for non-OEM lockable, waterproof luggage that isn't ADV style?
The Shads are nice. The two side cases and mount kit can frequently be had on fleabay for <$500 from shadoutlet. FJ09%20SIDE%20CASES.gif

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Givi V35 sidecases with PLXR rack
Hepco Becker Alurack and Orbit TC54 topcase.

I love this luggage. Had a V Strom ADV with the aluminum cases. Hated them, ugly wind blocks.

VhAgJCn.jpg?1
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

The only reason I went with the Shad over GIVI is that the Shad 3P Brackets look much better when the cases are off the bike.
While I respect your point of view I disagree. Between the HP Alurack and the PLXR racks I love the way it looks in the back.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Givi V35 sidecases with PLXR rack Hepco Becker Alurack and Orbit TC54 topcase.

I love this luggage. Had a V Strom ADV with the aluminum cases. Hated them, ugly wind blocks.

VhAgJCn.jpg?1
That's a good looking set-up, Doc. If I hadn't negotiated a deal on the factory bags when I bought the bike, I would've gone with those.

Givi V35 sidecases with PLXR rack Hepco Becker Alurack and Orbit TC54 topcase.

VhAgJCn.jpg?1
Do you ride with all 3 cases on? How does that effect handling? 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have ridden with all three on but only some light clothes in the side bags. Plus 20ish in the topbox. I suspect the bike will turn a shade slower when they are stuffed and the top full + camping gear. There is some wind shear from having the boxes that you can feel a little trying to roll on at low rpms/high speeds. 
Honestly it feels in the closer to my WR250R with full Dirtbagz and 1.75 gallon gas tank up top (very manueverable/flickable) than to my V Strom ADV with stock boxes and 53l topbox (solidly planted, not flickable). If that makes any sense, trying to put a real world comparison....
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Yeah that makes sense. I like the idea of having all three, but lately I've been leaning towards just the side cases, a tank bag and a trunk bag if needed instead of the top case.  This bike is already pretty top heavy and wheelie prone so I don't really want to increase that.

I currently have Cortech sport bags and a trunk bag and don't really notice them while riding.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Yeah ................  This bike is already pretty top heavy and wheelie prone.................. while riding. 

Say what?  Use your TC and you won't have any problems.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Hey all, two-stroke/v-twin/cafe racer (and future sport tourer) enthusiast checking in! Hoping to pick up an FJ-09 soon, first accessory will likely be luggage, any suggestions for non-OEM lockable, waterproof luggage that isn't ADV style?
The Shads are nice. The two side cases and mount kit can frequently be had on fleabay for <$500 from shadoutlet. FJ09%20SIDE%20CASES.gif

I like the looks of the bags, but for some reason it looks like the bike has put it's tail between it's legs and is running away.  Do you see that?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Yeah ................  This bike is already pretty top heavy and wheelie prone.................. while riding. 

Say what?  Use your TC and you won't have any problems.

I use the TCS all the time and don't ride around trying to do wheelies.. All I meant by that was since the bike has an innate tendency to want to lift the front wheel, I was unsure about adding weight high and behind the rear wheel.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

As noted previously, the TC stops any wheelies that might be pending. The biggest effect is upon handling and how the bike reacts to gusty winds coming from the side. A top box acts like a little sail and rudder, taking weight off the front and causing the bike to meander a bit in stronger winds and higher speeds. I'd forgo the top box and keep the luggage low and as close to the bike as possible. Shad or the stock Yamaha bags would be what I would go with...

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived