Please help choosing a new bike, between CBR I'm 650F and M

I'm indecisive between CBR 650F and MT 09 Tracer, and hope kind members of this board and lend a hand.  First, I live in Thailand, and the retail prices of these bikes are:
CBR 650F ABS $ 8,500.76
FJ 09              $13,438.49

I'm 5'7", inseam 29.5" and weigh around 154lbs.

The bike will be used 50% for track(for fun, not racing), and 50% for light touring (no camping and cooking, will stay at motels), carving hills.   Both bikes have more performance than I need.  I'll not be using it for commuting.  Preferably, I don't want to modify suspensions for track. I'll be putting on steering damper and better tyres. I can fill in more details if needed.

For your size and the massive price differential, the CBR seems the proper choice here...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Thanks for all kind suggestions. I had the MT 09 Tracer in mind, favouring alloy frame, electronics etc, but will heed your suggestions. Budget is not a concern, but saving dough is always appreciated. The reason why MT 09 Tracer is much higher priced is because it's imported from Japan, while the CBR 650F is locally manufactured. Maintainance should be lower for CBR 650F as well.

I owned the CBR650F before trading to my current FJ09. I only owned that CBR for about 2 months and needed to get rid of it. I found it had massive vibration issues, my hands were numb, my feet were numb, my bum was numb, all in under 30 minutes of riding. I had a custom gel seat made, gave me an extra 10 to 15 minutes before numbness set in. Put different hand grips on, didnt help... It seemed to be an issue for a lot of owners as it was a big topic on any CBR650F forum I visited. I owned a ZZR250 and Ninja650, and have riden my hubby's Versys1000 before, and never had this problem, and currently don't on my FJ09 either. The CBR fit me a bit better though, I'm 5'6" with a barely 30" inseam, so the FJ is kinda tall. But I shaved down the seat about an inch almost and it is pretty good now. I think the FJ might be just a bit too tall and tippy for you and the CBR will likely fit better, but perhaps try and get an extended test ride on the CBR if possible, as apparently it wasn't just me with issues regarding the vibrations on that bike.

• Premium Member
Wow @bettyboop! I was considering the CBR650F when I bought my FJ. Glad I went with what I... went with.

@wheelinthai , I was really jonesing after the CBR, but my needs were more for commuting and possibly some light touring with a spirited run to get some BBQ in the country here and there. I was going to say it sounds like the CBR would meet your needs, but after what @bettyboob said, I'd definitely look more into those issues/concerns.

I gotta say, I absolutely loved that CBR650F for its handling and looks. It also just 'fit' better, but I just couldn't see doing a 5 or 6 hour day on it.... I also found issues with missed shifts, something I haven't had with any bikes before or after. Also had to immediately change out the clutch and shift levers to adjustable ones, as the CBR had a clutch lever that the friction point was soooo far out. Its too bad.... it would have been my perfect bike i think.
It took me a few days too get used to sitting so upright on the FJ, as all my previous bikes were a bit more 'sporty', but found I am comfortable sitting back a bit further on the seat so I can get a bit of a lean to my body.

• Premium Member
Wheelinthai - Triumph's new Speed Twin is going to be made in Thailand, maybe that will be reasonably priced. While it will be down on performance, it might be a fun alternative and I have loved every Triumph I have had.

Good luck and take Bettyboop's comments on vibration seriously. Vibes ruin the joy of riding.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

The FZ-09 will be a LOT of bike unless he's experienced with very powerful bikes. An FZ-07 might be the better option. But it's still made in Japan and will probably be similarly expensive. But he *did* say money was not an issue.

And that new Suzuki  (or the GSX-S750Z) looks to be quite a nice scooter, too:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX-S750/2015/GSXS750.aspx
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
New rider I would look at the cbr500r. The FJ is a lot of bike. The 650 is more of a sport rider, that is crouched over with your knees up your nose. The riding position on the 500 is a bit more upright and comfortable for longer rides. It is a typical Honda meaning a very well rounded bike, brakes, suspension all good. Light, it is super and as fun as you can imagine on curves. The engine is not the most powerful, but revs so well you will not care. It will not scare you as a new rider but enough power you will not feel the need to upgrade after 6 months and your skill grows. Plus it is less expensive than both the FJ or the 650.

......It took me a few days too get used to sitting so upright on the FJ, as all my previous bikes were a bit more 'sporty', but found I am comfortable sitting back a bit further on the seat so I can get a bit of a lean to my body.
 Just in case you're not aware the FJ's bar risers are reversible and turning them around which moved the bars forward and slightly up alleviated my issue which was sitting too upright.

New rider I would look at the cbr500r. The FJ is a lot of bike. The 650 is more of a sport rider, that is crouched over with your knees up your nose. The riding position on the 500 is a bit more upright and comfortable for longer rides. It is a typical Honda meaning a very well rounded bike, brakes, suspension all good. Light, it is super and as fun as you can imagine on curves. The engine is not the most powerful, but revs so well you will not care. It will not scare you as a new rider but enough power you will not feel the need to upgrade after 6 months and your skill grows. Plus it is less expensive than both the FJ or the 650.

My bike before the FJ was a CBR500RA. I really enjoyed that bike. If the OP wants to go to the track with it, it might be underpowered for that sort of work depending on skill level. I found it was most rewarding when riding solo, but when I rode in groups with larger capacity bikes, the temptation was to push myself and the bike too much to keep up. It was a comfortable, decent handling bike for the money.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I do know about the reversible risers on the FJS bars but actually needed them in the closer position and then slightly rotated the actual bars downwards a bit, making them closer to me and also lower. I found them to be way too far away and high for my arms in the upper forward position resulting in aching shoulders. I'm happy there is a lot of adjustment in the FJ so it fits me better.

I'm not sure if the CB 650F (not CBR) is available for the op, but it is more upright in the seating, although I never found the CBR650 too be to leaned over in the posture, not like the CBR600RR, or kawi ZX636 for example, but JMO.

Archived