Well I laid it over....

Sorry for your loss. And thanks for the very productive and informative post.
I think I remember reading about it on the BARF Forum many years ago. I am not against us being critical and wanting to improve each others riding and safety. It's just how we do it.
Love the Santa Cruz Mountain Roads. I've ridden there since the 70s and ride there a couple of times a month now.
Let's all do everything we can to make sure we all get home.
Ride safe,
RC

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very sad story. As we all know this is or can be a very dangerous pleasure and our decisions ultimately effect the ones who love us.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

I laid my FJ09 over last summer too. I had just been through a vasectomy a few days earlier and felt "okay". I went for a quick ride to work and aside from a bit of soreness on bumps felt good. When I came to do a tight right turn to park my motorcycle into it's spot, the exact moment I pulled out my legs to stand the bike I "pinched" a ball and it really @!@#$ hurt and lost balance. I dropped the bike on the right side and scratched my hand-guard and bent the rear brake lever :(

Lesson to the story? Don't go riding shortly after a vasectomy. I hope this story helps someone in the future :P

• Premium Member
Sorry for your loss. And thanks for the very productive and informative post. I think I remember reading about it on the BARF Forum many years ago.
Thanks.  Yes I was pretty active in BARF back then.  I posted it to BARF, SBR, Keith Code handed out printouts of it for a while.  It was published in City Bike as well. 
My intention posting this now was not a sympathy grab.  My grieving for Brett was over many years ago, although I still miss him.  But I did want to show why I feel strongly that when you see your riding buddies screwing up, it is important to talk to them about it.  I wish I had tried harder with Brett.

On motorcycle boards though, if you say any more than "sorry to hear about it man, glad you are alright", people will come down on you.  I DON'T CARE.  When I see BS, I will call BS.

• Premium Member
I laid my FJ09 over last summer too. I had just been through a vasectomy a few days earlier and fell "okay". I went for a quick ride to work and aside from a bit of soreness on bumps felt good. When I came to do a tight right turn to park my mortorcycle into it's spot, the exact moment I pulled out my legs to stand the bike I "pinched" a ball and it really @!@#$ hurt and lost balance. I dropped the bike on the right side and scratched my handguard and bent the rear brake lever :( 
Lesson to the story? Don't go riding shortly after a vasectomy. I hope this story helps someone in the future :P
Your vasectomy went terribly wrong if you "pinched a ball" afterwards.  (rofl)  

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

New parts ordered at the dealer- I don't see the appeal of riding without the handguards on this bike, it just feels so wrong :-S  

Now, lets not go picking on those (us-me) for taking the handguards off.  We have our reasons and they serve us well. (you can't put mits over the handguards)  We may even like it that way.  If you like them on, that is your business.  Those that take them off is their business.  Anyway, how did that get thrown into this crash discription? 
Crashes?  Here is mine and it is a bit longer than yours as it is part of a ride report.
I was never picking on anyone, only stating my opinion.  ;)

Why on so many of these forums when somebody describes a mishap they have to be TOLD that they screwed up, how to correct it and with an attitude that you would not use on your own riding buddies. Also with a tone that the person telling them is a perfect rider 100% of the time.
I agree 100% that corrections need to be discussed but can we please do it like we were talking to the person as a riding buddy, after all I consider everyone on this site as a riding buddy.
Sorry for your mishap and I feel for the damage to your bike.
You didn't even mention if you were hurt until the end.
Typical motorcycle guy talks about his bike damage first and then a broken bone second. LOL...
i appreciate the knowledge we can all share that will keep us all safer, but let's share in a productive way.
Just my opinion.
RC

I never thought I'd be treated so hostile, like nobody else here has made a mistake before. We all do, it's part of motorcycling and nobody is perfect (as much as some proclaim to be). I've been riding on motorcycles for as long as I can remember so I am no novice by any means, I think part of my issue is the TCS caught the spinning rear wheel and killed it- had it just let the wheel spin I probably could have kept it relatively composed and upright (much like I would with a dirt bike). I too don't mind everyone sharing riding tips or their own individual experiences but the snobbish attitudes associated with some people (and I am not saying anybody here is being like that) is not a very confidence inspiring thing.

Oh well though, shet happens. As long as my bike is okay that's all I care about lol8.giflol8.gif  (rofl)

I've been there when some of our other riding buddies had extremely close calls, close enough to prompt him to give up motorcycling entirely (I think his wife may have had something to do with that...) after being air lifted out on a life flight helicopter. He sticks to 4 wheels now, and that's probably the best thing for him. As for me, I don't actually ride all that fast, I tend to stick with the speed limits mostly (+/-10mph), don't lane split unless traffic is stopped, and always check my mirrors and my surroundings- call me conceited but I am very situationally aware (remember how I noticed the truck out of the corner of my eye?). I keep the shenanigans for the backroads where almost nobody drives and only with buddies.

Why on so many of these forums when somebody describes a mishap they have to be TOLD that they screwed up, how to correct it and with an attitude that you would not use on your own riding buddies. Also with a tone that the person telling them is a perfect rider 100% of the time.
I agree 100% that corrections need to be discussed but can we please do it like we were talking to the person as a riding buddy, after all I consider everyone on this site as a riding buddy.
Sorry for your mishap and I feel for the damage to your bike.
You didn't even mention if you were hurt until the end.
Typical motorcycle guy talks about his bike damage first and then a broken bone second. LOL...
i appreciate the knowledge we can all share that will keep us all safer, but let's share in a productive way.
Just my opinion.
RC

I never thought I'd be treated so hostile, like nobody else here has made a mistake before. We all do, it's part of motorcycling and nobody is perfect (as much as some proclaim to be). I've been riding on motorcycles for as long as I can remember so I am no novice by any means, I think part of my issue is the TCS caught the spinning rear wheel and killed it- had it just let the wheel spin I probably could have kept it relatively composed and upright (much like I would with a dirt bike). I too don't mind everyone sharing riding tips or their own individual experiences but the snobbish attitudes associated with some people (and I am not saying anybody here is being like that) is not a very confidence inspiring thing.

Oh well though, shet happens. As long as my bike is okay that's all I care about lol8.giflol8.gif  (rofl)

I've been there when some of our other riding buddies had extremely close calls, close enough to prompt him to give up motorcycling entirely (I think his wife may have had something to do with that...) after being air lifted out on a life flight helicopter. He sticks to 4 wheels now, and that's probably the best thing for him. As for me, I don't actually ride all that fast, I tend to stick with the speed limits mostly (+/-10mph), don't lane split unless traffic is stopped, and always check my mirrors and my surroundings- call me conceited but I am very situationally aware (remember how I noticed the truck out of the corner of my eye?). I keep the shenanigans for the backroads where almost nobody drives and only with buddies.

IMHO a crash thread is not a place to teach the crash victim what he did wrong unless they ask for tips to avoid it in the future. I didn't see @xpress ask for that anywhere in this thread. I know this is the internet, but I hope our members can stay respectful. @xpress please do not overlook all the members that were respectful.

Making mistakes is normal. It is something we all do and as long as we learn from them, they can actually be very helpful. Making a mistake and pretending we didn't or that it wasn't our fault is also normal, but it means we don't/can't learn from them and that is never helpful. Worse is that you or others can start to believe the excuses and that can make you think what you were doing was the right thing to do, and that is harmful. Good manners means we tend to overlook or ignore the minor mistakes of others and fear of embarrassment means we tend to avoid admitting to them. Both behaviours are (in my opinion) counter productive when the cost of the mistake is potentially as high as it is on two wheels. So I am sorry some people are offended or upset but a crash thread is exactly the right place to call out the real reasons for a crash.

• Premium Member
No matter how good the intentions are, most unrequested critiques come off as condescending and preachy (kind of like the teacher in Charlie Brown, wah, wah, wah, wah, wahaaaaaa). I think this thread has run it's course. As others have suggested, start a new thread on TOTW, or riding techniques, target fixation, etc.. "Things that I learned to keep from crashing" would be a great title.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived