stinky bike !

Guest bobh380

Guest bobh380
Hey everyone , 
My bike has developed a really bad smell from the exhaust . It's done it for awhile now but seems to be getting worse. More noticeable when I'm in A mode . I usually don't smell it until I turn off the bike but today as I stopped at a traffic light it stunk really bad. 
It smells really bad , very toxic . I have just done over 3000ks .Living in Japan and my second service isn't due until 4000ks. They do everything different here ! Anyone with any ideas ? Throttle bodies out of sync ? 
thanks in advance .
Bobh 

It seems something is being burned by combustion (duh!) resulting in the smell. How long have you noticed this? If only recently, maybe a bad load of gas? Do you have little children? I ask this because toddlers will do the damnedest things and perhaps a toddler dropped something down into the exhaust can. My brother in law's VCR stopped working one day and when I examined it, we found that his 2 yr. old daughter had been feeding coins into the loading slot of the player. Maybe something similar here.

That's all I got for ya...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Hey everyone ,  My bike has developed a really bad smell from the exhaust . It's done it for awhile now but seems to be getting worse. More noticeable when I'm in A mode . I usually don't smell it until I turn off the bike but today as I stopped at a traffic light it stunk really bad. 
It smells really bad , very toxic . I have just done over 3000ks .Living in Japan and my second service isn't due until 4000ks. They do everything different here ! Anyone with any ideas ? Throttle bodies out of sync ? 
thanks in advance .
Bobh 
My guess is there's something inside the can that should not be there - your in A mode when it's the worst probably because you've got the revs and heat up in there. My wife's car had a problem like this once, we took it to dealer and they found a plastic grocery bag had wrapped around the manifold. 

I have been smelling this as well. NOT your normal cosmoline burn off smell. I was hoping it would go away in time, but if your at 4 and it still smells.... please follow up and let us know if you find anything out.... i really dont believe its a plastic bag shoved in your exhaust.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Guest bobh380
Thanks everyone for you input .
My bike is always covered and away from the street .
I have to agree Docsimple I dont think its something stuck in the exhaust .I had a look and couldnt see anything .
Its a really evil gas smell. 
It's a  headache inducing ,stomach churning spots in your eyes type of smell. 
Will have to get the shop to check it out . 

• 3 months later...
This is happening to my bike as well. Got it a month ago, put 1200 miles on it in standard mode only. The second I tried A mode the smell started. I keep it in A mode now and have 1400 on it. Ill see if it continues. Almost smells like un-burned fuel but a little worse/different.

I've noticed this smell lately, too. Particularly since getting my ECU reflashed. I notice it mostly in A mode or when I'm giving her the beans in Standard mode and come to a stop. Almost a fuel-mixed-with-eggs smell. I've just chalked it up to the catalytic converter doing its thing...

• 4 months later...
Did anyone ever find out what's causing this smell? I've had my 2015 fj for about two months and I have always noticed this smell after riding. It was brand new when I bought it too. After pulling it in the garage and closing the garage, the smell lingers for quite a while. It's a mixture of sulfur/gas smell and is very noticeable.

Hey everyone ,  My bike has developed a really bad smell from the exhaust . It's done it for awhile now but seems to be getting worse. More noticeable when I'm in A mode . I usually don't smell it until I turn off the bike but today as I stopped at a traffic light it stunk really bad. 
thanks in advance .
Bobh 
Mine emits the same obnoxious smells. It did it with the stock exhaust, but does it more-so with the 'gutted' stock exhaust. ( I have two OE exhaust pipes) I never noticed if "A" mode is worse than "STD", but I'll pay attention to it in the future. FWIW, 7.7K miles. 
It does seem to be more noticeable if I've been running hard for a long period of time, i.e. the exhaust is very hot.

By comparison, my FJR had a similar stinky smell when running hard, but it was more of a (phantom) burning mounting-point grommet smell.

Since the FJR had a similar smell, it makes me wonder if it's a by-product of how Yamaha does their valve timing. Is the smell mildly annoying? Yes. Am I going to do anything about it? No.
Keep Asheville weird!

thanks in advance .
Bobh 
Mine emits the same obnoxious smells. It did it with the stock exhaust, but does it more-so with the 'gutted' stock exhaust. ( I have two OE exhaust pipes) I never noticed if "A" mode is worse than "STD", but I'll pay attention to it in the future. FWIW, 7.7K miles. 
It does seem to be more noticeable if I've been running hard for a long period of time, i.e. the exhaust is very hot.

By comparison, my FJR had a similar stinky smell when running hard, but it was more of a (phantom) burning mounting-point grommet smell.

Since the FJR had a similar smell, it makes me wonder if it's a by-product of how Yamaha does their valve timing. Is the smell mildly annoying? Yes. Am I going to do anything about it? No.

Maybe it is just a Yamaha thing. I've not noticed any performance issues yet. But compared to my Honda nc700x I had previously, I never noticed any kind of smell coming from it after riding.

They are just holding the " fart in " till it's appropriate to, just polite manners or your bike is getting a steady diet of prune juice ...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Mine stank so bad the first couple hundred miles. Chalked it up to the catalytic converter burning in and all the assembly oils burning off. Still kinda has a stank every once in awhile but I chalk that up to chain lube hitting the exhaust etc. But at almost 1100 miles the horrible stank is pretty much gone

Mine stank so bad the first couple hundred miles. Chalked it up to the catalytic converter burning in and all the assembly oils burning off. Still kinda has a stank every once in awhile but I chalk that up to chain lube hitting the exhaust etc. But at almost 1100 miles the horrible stank is pretty much gone

I'm up to 1500 miles and still have it after every ride. Oh well. I guess I'll just stock up on my rescue inhalers.

If you're in the habit of using the same brand of fuel, try switching to another one especially if it has a different octane rating, and see if it makes a difference.

Sulfur smells are most commonly the catalyst, breaking down sulfides and sulfur containing additives in the fuel.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived