stinky bike !

Guest bobh380

If you're in the habit of using the same brand of fuel, try switching to another one especially if it has a different octane rating, and see if it makes a difference. 
Sulfur smells are most commonly the catalyst, breaking down sulfides and sulfur containing additives in the fuel.

Hmm. That's actually a good idea. I have only used premium octane on this bike and have always noticed the smell. But for my honda I just used regular gasoline. Do different octane ratings smell different from each other?

The RON or octane rating is just a way of standardising the contents of the fuel according to when they ignite under pressure, with higher being normally a more premium fuel. To achieve that a manufacturer can add a variety of materials, not just octane, so trying a different brand may give you a different smell.

Crude oil naturally contains some sulfur compounds (its formed from several million year old plants and creatures after all) and refiners try to remove them as they contribute to acid rain formation. Your catalyst does the final job of working on the sulfur to meet emissions regulations and the blend of precious metals Yamaha has chosen may just be a poor combination with the fuel you've been using, so again, switching is worth a try.

I'm in the UK and Vauxhall (General Motors) used to be notorious for smelly exhausts in traffic due to the catalysts they fitted.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
If you're in the habit of using the same brand of fuel, try switching to another one especially if it has a different octane rating, and see if it makes a difference. 
Sulfur smells are most commonly the catalyst, breaking down sulfides and sulfur containing additives in the fuel.
Hmm. That's actually a good idea. I have only used premium octane on this bike and have always noticed the smell. But for my honda I just used regular gasoline. Do different octane ratings smell different from each other?
Petrol/gas is a commodity and is a mix of many different hydrocarbons depending on the source crude oil and processing. There is no guarantee you get the same mix of octane, decane, toluene and ethanol from the same forecourt on consecutive days, just that it meets the minimum standard for that grade of fuel. Your Exxon branded fuel may have been refined by Petronas in Asia, just that Exxon bought it cheap on the spot market 2 years ago when currencies were in their favour!  
I would try some fuel from another source and then take a ride on a road where you can get the engine and cat up to a high temperature.

I too remember the days of early cat equipped cars making rotten egg smells for the first few hundred miles. Modern fuels should have the sulphur removed but as I say, petrol is a commodity and maybe the garage you use was unlucky enough to get a batch of fuel made in an old school refinery in China or Siberia where they give less of a fúck about acid rain. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived