Best big guy seat?

Hi guys. I'm usually around 230lbs, and struggled to find a comfortable seat on my last bike (gen2 FZ1). The Sargent was designed for riders under 180lbs, Corbin looked stoopid on that bike, and I wasted a bunch of money having gel pads and extra foam put in the stock seats. I finally settled on custom 'big guy' modded stock seats from Eddie Copeland (Dirt Road Eddie on FZ1 forums). Not perfect, but the best option I found for that bike. I recently contacted Eddie, and although he's done a bunch of FZ09 seats (which he called 'terrible'), he hasn't done an FJ09 seat yet.

I like the idea of the removable back rest on the Corbin, and on the FJ the seat doesn't appear to look too out of place (arguably). Anyone north of 220 lbs happy with the Corbin?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Before my illness, I weighed 218 lbs., I'm at 168 lbs. now, yikes!! Anyway, back then I rode my Corbin for 10s of thousands of miles and it was perfectly comfortable. 700 mi. days? No problemo!! I have a Corbin for the FJ and had them give me a softer foam layer on top and it's also very comfortable even with my new, boney ass. I also kept the backrest when I sold the bike and now have it mounted on the FJ's seat. I think it looks very nice and pillions really like having that extra support and security. Go to the Corbin site and lookup the FJ-09 - that is *exactly* what mine looks like...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member

I like the idea of the removable back rest on the Corbin, and on the FJ the seat doesn't appear to look too out of place (arguably). Anyone north of 220 lbs happy with the Corbin?

Mark.

I'm 6'4", 32" inseam and weigh 250. Tried the Seat Concepts rebuild and didn't like it. Ordered the Corbin and I love it. It is a bit firm, but it is still breaking in. Even given that, I can do many hours in the saddle without squirming. I do like to move around on the saddle, and can easily with the Corbin. One of the best I've ever ridden. 

>>...Corbin. One of the best I've ever ridden. <<

Right on, brother!!  Wait until you get 20,000 mi. on the seat - you'll be looking for a place to mount a home theater system and popcorn machine - a LazyBoy on two wheels!! :D   Good on ya....

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Mark.

I'm 6'4", 32" inseam and weigh 250. Tried the Seat Concepts rebuild and didn't like it. Ordered the Corbin and I love it. It is a bit firm, but it is still breaking in. Even given that, I can do many hours in the saddle without squirming. I do like to move around on the saddle, and can easily with the Corbin. One of the best I've ever ridden.

Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I might just bite the bullet and give the Corbin a try. The nice thing is since the Corbin uses it's own seat pan I can send the stock ones down to Dirt Road Eddy for his 'big guy mods', and have two sets of custom seats. Moar choice = moar better. :)

Is the pillion noticeably smaller than stock? It looks like Corbin was very generous with the front seat dimensions. Any feedback on it's comfort?

Thanks,

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Corbin is willing to customize the seat's dimensions to allow for more pillion room if you so desire. Me? I rarely carry a passenger, and that passenger is only 5' 4", 118 lbs. And if she doesn't like it, tough noogies, babe!!
-CD-

• 2 weeks later...

Archived