Best windscreen?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After short rides with the factory windscreen my hearing was damaged (rock concert) for a while with the turbulence/pressure changes at the helmet. Stand on the foot pegs for a moment, up into the clean air, and it gets nice and quiet. Started using earplugs for a few rides and that helped. Read this forum on screens, liked the concept of the MadStad....airflow on both sides of the screen to reduce turbulence. I'm 5'11 / 31 leg Shoei RF1200, was advised to get the 20 inch screen. I can now ride without discomfort and without earplugs, with just a little air at the top of the helmet. Get a screen too high and there may be too little air to clear the fogging on cold days. I can see well over the top of the screen. Went for a clear screen as to not change the look of the bike...the bike does not look any taller. Any fine tuning adjustment stays put, screen is fixed well in place. If you go with MadStad, and if you don't pull the factory brackets together while tightening on their plate, there is play in the mount..won't feel firm. I like my MadStad.

I, too, have a Madstad screen, 22", clear. I'm 6' 1", 34" inseam. I can see well over the screen and yet can tuck down behind it when the occasion calls for it. As mentioned before, the slipstream of air coming in under the screen makes a big difference in the smoothness of the air flow - still some wind noise, but no buffeting whatsoever. This is a very nice screen....

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
5'10" 32" inseam 24" madstad Shoei Qwest. In low position, I get lots of air. In high position, it's like being on a touring motorcycle. :-)

In crosswinds I get some mean buffeting, but that might be unavoidable.

My advice: get 24", keep it low for short rides, and raise it for cold or long rides.

Also I am a huge fan of ear plugs and this for maximal quiet: WINDJAMMER 2 "REDUCES WIND NOISE" fits all Full Face Helmets. The original often copied ! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FHLNVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Zh-Wwb7KBYNKW

• 3 weeks later...
Update on my National Cycle Sport/Touring middle size:

My first ride to get the FJ inspected I was sort of feeling a little buffeting over 50 mph.  Yesterday I did some more miles on the bike with strong wind conditions.

I gotta tell ya, the screen was perfect.  I had it in the lowest setting.  BTW, having this shield in the highest setting your massive hand guards will make contact with the screen, limiting your ability to turn the bars for low speed maneuvering!

The only change I made was I wore my brand new Kali Carbon Blackness helmet.  The day before I wore my trusty, old and crusty Nolan N-102 flip up.  Maybe the helmet makes a difference.

So let's just say everything was perfect on yesterday's ride.  Except I couldn't get over 6k rpm for break in.  Seat on the FJ moves around a little, like it's missing a rubber cushion somewhere.  Gotta fix that.  But so far this bike is so wonderful to ride.  Just perfect seating position, although that is subjective.  I'm 5'8", 210 lbs.  Seat in low setting.  This bike is so nimble low speed turns are a piece of cake.  

I'll be back with more feedback soon!

• Premium Member
That's strange, I have this screen and in no setting is there any risk of the standard hand guards making contact. Neither on the even larger touring screen.
nor have I - I think it depends on the position of the handguards on the handlebars. I think they must be able to rotate and would be a dealer fitment as part of the pre-delivery prep, like the front wheel, which is also cocked up causing the ABS fault.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
That's strange, I have this screen and in no setting is there any risk of the standard hand guards making contact. Neither on the even larger touring screen.
nor have I - I think it depends on the position of the handguards on the handlebars. I think they must be able to rotate and would be a dealer fitment as part of the pre-delivery prep, like the front wheel, which is also cocked up causing the ABS fault.
Same with me and the V-Stream touring - no hand guard contact at any setting. I do keep it in the lowest setting though.

• 2 months later...
Installed the Puig "touring" windscreen on my bike and went for two rides in the mountains (plus some freeway to get there).  Very good wind protection and I am 5'10". Wear a Shoei RF1200.  Pretty quiet pocket behind the Puig, much better than the stock shield. Of course, you have to want to bike to look like more of a touring bike than a sport bike but I intend to use this bike for long trips--I have other "sportbikes" when I want that.

I should mention, the hand guards had to come off (at least the outer cosmetic cover anyway) for the Puig. As I made some other changes, handguards are permanently off the bike. No biggie as it's warm in So Cal and I want the wind to reach my vented gloves. I think the bike looks nicer without them as well--of course, that's a matter of personal taste.

Hey Rickrides, So the handguards come off permanently with the Puig. I am assuming it is bacuase when you turn they hit the shield, correct??? I read one guy on the reviews saying he was going to take hhis rotary tool and notch it out!  

Archived