Service Manual?

8-) Hey Cruizin, would it be permitted if ALL members pay you US$XX via paypal and you PDF a legit version and make it available to members to print what sections they require?
I'm not going to tear down the engine or gearbox (I've done that to far too many V-twins in my time...) but, servicing forks & swingarm bushes and the like would be great?

Say, I'm taking a stab here...how many members are on this great forum? Pay you X amount each... Your time to scan a legit version to PDF and make pages available to download & print?

Like I said, I don't require the whole book.... Just the details.....

Cheers,
Steve 

HEY! Let me be clear, thought I was above. I DO NOT SCAN NOR DO I SELL OR SHARE SERVICE MANUALS!

AS STATED ABOVE, there is a guy on ebay in the UK who does and he is working on getting a service manual and will be selling PDF's, like he does fr the FZ-07 and FZ-09. I never said that I will be selling this crap. Don't wanna get sued and thrown in jail.

I would have no problem ethically downloading a PDF of the manual if I buy a legal hard copy. I would be allowed to format shift it anyway under fair use. But that would be personal and have nothing to do with the forum.

I would not post links here though, and as a mod, would remove any I see. We cannot come to the attention of Yamaha for any kind of possible infringement, especially since they could also try to take the forum's domain as a trademark violation in retaliation. 

Examples:

Harley Davidson
http://www.ydr.com/business/ci_20406551/biker-website-changes-name-following-trademark-clash-harley

Yamaha (Took the FZ6-forum.com domain, forcing them to change it to 600riders.com)
http://www.600riders.com/forum/site-announcements/53706-please-report-broken-links.html

Have him quote a price to ship anywhere in the US through USPS, and add it to the price. We can confer on time to participate, payment method and shipping dates.

Maybe others can reach out to their dealers as well. I will call the one I goy my bike from. It's cold in PA, and they may appreciate some business.

I reached out to Cruizin to see if he wants to put up a dedicated group buy sub-board.

Well I just spoke to my local dealer (here in Virginia) and he says he can do this:

(Shipping not included)
$85 per manual - 1+ order
$80 per manual - 5+ order
$75 per manual - 20+ order

The part number for the service manual is LIT-11616-28-46. He does show them as available.

Shipping:
He ships via UPS and will charge you whatever it cost him to ship it.

Payment:
Unless there is a better way, you can call him yourself and place the order over the phone.
So no need to give me any of your information.

I have no idea how many people are truly interested in this group buy so I gave him what I thought was an optimistic number of 20 manuals to see what he would do on price, $75 was the number. I did not ask but I figure if we get anywhere close to 20 he would probably do the $75 price.

Let me know what you think......

Gabe

I think it makes more sense to have a dealer commit to a good price if we send volume their way. They handle shipping and everything. It's getting drop shipped anyway.
Cruzin, can we see if one of us can get an "official fj-09.org dealer" or something?
I dunno. I just think we could get these for $70 delivered or something. Especially if we're moving 20 or 30 of them.
Let's not forget, most dealers get money on the backend for gross sales.

??? Sorry Cruizin,
I didn't quite make myself clear when I stated a legit version.
As it clearly states on page 1 pic 2, "...without the written permission of...." So, why not write to Yamaha Global legal to seek permission? What could they say? Shut the forum down before saying "NO!" as pay back?
Commercial interests for both parties. Tell them... we'll buy 10 copies for every 50 members... Sell 9 for those that prefer a printed version. You are going to do that anyway.
What if they say ok? What if they say buy 50? Tell them you'll have 1000 members before too long! Work it both sides.

It was a suggestion. Unclear, yes.

Cheers,
Steve

??? Sorry Cruizin, I didn't quite make myself clear when I stated a legit version.
As it clearly states on page 1 pic 2, "...without the written permission of...." So, why not write to Yamaha Global legal to seek permission? What could they say? Shut the forum down before saying "NO!" as pay back?
Commercial interests for both parties. Tell them... we'll buy 10 copies for every 50 members... Sell 9 for those that prefer a printed version. You are going to do that anyway.
What if they say ok? What if they say buy 50? Tell them you'll have 1000 members before too long! Work it both sides.

Cheers,
Steve

It'll never happen. At least not officially. Internet distribution would supersede the the franchise rights of all the dealers in the world since it's globally accessible. Yamaha dealers pay franchise fees and have certain AOR (areas of responsibility). A site on the internet would allow one "dealer" to compete across all markets against all other dealers. Yamaha wouldn't allow that because it would piss off every dealer and might even breach existing contractual obligations with existing dealers.

I know it's just one small thing, but that's all it take with dealers. These guys go apesh1t over every little thing if they don't have a monopoly in their market. 

I'm "in the biz", so I see a lot of this sort of crap everyday.

I just contacted a dealer here in Oregon to check the price. $89.50. I think the $80 group buy from the VA dealer is what we would likely get. It will cost $7-$10 to ship it to me from there. That's a lot of hassle to save $3. I'm just going to get one locally. You can take me off the list. Thanks.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

??? Sorry Cruizin, I didn't quite make myself clear when I stated a legit version.

Cheers,
Steve

As a sales manager, I totally appreciate your line of thinking. But no way that Yamaha will go for that. And I'm worried about Yamaha shutting me down as it is. They have shut down other Bike forums before and I worry about them seeing FJ-09 in the domain name as it is. In fact, I have a couple of other back up domain names in case a ceast and desist letter comes my way.

Thanks again for the suggestion Steve, I wish we could.

• 1 year later...