Denver - Picking up my new FJ-09 tomorrow

motorberus

Upgrading from an FZ6 and a DR650SE. I know, the FJ-09 will not be nearly as dirt capable as the DR650. I got a new plated WR250F last year and didn't ride the DR650 at all after that. The FJ will be my street/light adventure bike. The WR250F will be used for all the gnarly off road stuff. The dealership let me test ride the FJ before pulling the trigger, looking foreward to putting some miles on her. Accessories will be the adventure cage, heated grips, SHAD side cases, and possibly a radiator guard.

• 3 months later...
3 months later. 600 mile service is done (weather has been crappy for a while so not much riding). Upgrades so far are Higdonion cage/bash plate, Madstad windshield, heated grips, and SHAD SH36 side cases. LOVE this bike. Looking forward to putting on some miles this summer.

Been thinking about getting a WR250R as a second bike.. how do you like the 250? How is it in terms of speed/power? I don't want to get bored with it...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Been thinking about getting a WR250R as a second bike.. how do you like the 250? How is it in terms of speed/power? I don't want to get bored with it...
I bought a new wr250r last summer.  Actually I find it is totally  gutless except at almost full rpm.   Like it otherwise.  Maybe mine is just a dog. 

You both put WR250R. Mine is a WR250F. The WR250R is a totally different animal than the F. The F has a YZ race engine, the R has a relatively gutless but easy to maintain engine. Even before you put the competition kit on the F it has way more power than the R. The F weighs in around 250 pounds while the R is 50 more at 300. F's suspension is MUCH better than the R's. The R comes street legal stock and will ride on the highway if necessary. I would never dream of riding my F on the highway unless I was just going a couple miles to get from trail to trail. The F does not come street legal, but has lights already on it so was really easy to get tags for (atleast in Colorado). If you are going to be riding everything out there (easy fire roads/trails, ATV trails, Gnarly single track, steep rocky trails, motocross track, literally everything except long stints on pavement), get an F. If you are going to be riding mostly pavement, dirt roads, and easy trails, get an R. I ride everything and am lucky enough to have a friend with an R. He let me ride it and I knew pretty quick that it was not the right bike for me. Below is a short review of the F.

Mine is a '15, which is different than previous years. It has the new backwards YZ engine. It was gutless in stock form. Yamaha had to detune the hell out of it for emissions or something. The GYTR competition kit is a must on the WR. It consists of a different ECU and instructions on how to remove the restrictors from the exhaust and intake. I got a power tuner as well so I could fine tune once the kit was on. Once you install the comp kit it brings it up to the performance of the YZ250. I have had 10+ dirt bikes over the years, and this WR is by far the best one I have ever had. It has made me a much better rider. I literally can't find a flaw with it. Suspension is perfect and the engine is incredible for a 250. Electric start and street legal are just icing on the cake. Worth ever penny.

@motorberus Thanks for that post.. that's what I needed to hear. I don't have a lot of experience with dirt bikes. I really want a second bike that is pimarily for off road use but street legal. I just need to get out and ride a few as well as look into what it takes to make a bike street legal in GA.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived