Alaska here I come...

• Premium Member
I'm planning a June/July Alaska trip this year with a friend of mine.  I'm in the process of getting my FJ set up for it, and I'm looking for insights from anyone who has made this trip.  These could be FJ-09 specific, route suggestions, places that are "must see", places to stay, or whatever you feel would be helpful.  I've done quite a few long tours in the past, but this will be my first ride into Alaska.

I'm planning on doing the oil pan "fin of death" removal along with installing the low profile drain plug.  I've ordered the Madstad 22" screen (I'm 6'2", 34" inseam), and the KTM hand guards.  I'm giving up on waiting to see what Sargent might do, and will be ordering the Corbin (or maybe riding up to Hollister to see about getting it put on there).   I'm also looking strongly at getting a radiator protector, and will probably go for it soon (checking out the different options).  I know I don't need to turn the FJ into an off-road machine as all kinds of bikes make this trip every year, but wanted to get comfortable and take some basic precautions. 

Thanks for any insights/suggestions etc.

I'm planning a June/July Alaska trip this year with a friend of mine.  I'm in the process of getting my FJ set up for it, and I'm looking for insights from anyone who has made this trip.  These could be FJ-09 specific, route suggestions, places that are "must see", places to stay, or whatever you feel would be helpful.  I've done quite a few long tours in the past, but this will be my first ride into Alaska. 

You don't say what roads you will be taking.  The Haul Road?  etc.  That could make a difference in what tires you might be using.  Other than that, I did Alaska in 2010 on my FJR and had no problems with PR-3s, although you will want to expect the tire to wear more.  Afterwards I figured about 20% less mileage.  Like all roads are chip seal.   I camped and moteled when I had to due to weather.  I did it towards the middle of May into June.  I had good weather.  Less mosquitos that time of the year, yet towards the end of the trip, it got bad in some locations.  I used the online map The Mile Post, and it had up to date info.  I didn't take months to prepare, pretty much put it together in just a couple weeks before I left.  Biggest problem is distance between towns with services, including hotels.  There is a Yamah dealer in Whitehorse, Prince George, Anchorage and Fairbanks.  AIR.  Good luck, have fun.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member

You don't say what roads you will be taking.  The Haul Road?  etc.  That could make a difference in what tires you might be using.  Other than that, I did Alaska in 2010 on my FJR and had no problems with PR-3s, although you will want to expect the tire to wear more.  Afterwards I figured about 20% less mileage.  Like all roads are chip seal.   I camped and moteled when I had to due to weather.  I did it towards the middle of May into June.  I had good weather.  Less mosquitos that time of the year, yet towards the end of the trip, it got bad in some locations.  I used the online map The Mile Post, and it had up to date info.  I didn't take months to prepare, pretty much put it together in just a couple weeks before I left.  Biggest problem is distance between towns with services, including hotels.  There is a Yamah dealer in Whitehorse, Prince George, Anchorage and Fairbanks.  AIR.  Good luck, have fun.
I fully agree with Ken, tires are one of the most critical choices, especially if you are going up the Dalton Dirtway.  I went up beginning the end of June, and finally made it home around the first week of August. Go over to www.philsplace.smugmug.com and check out "To the Arctic Circle While There Still Is One"  If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change the route at all.....except maybe going over to Dalton.... GREAT trip, one of the most fun I've had! 

• Premium Member
I fully agree with Ken, tires are one of the most critical choices, especially if you are going up the Dalton Dirtway.  I went up beginning the end of June, and finally made it home around the first week of August. Go over to www.philsplace.smugmug.com and check out "To the Arctic Circle While There Still Is One"  If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change the route at all.....except maybe going over to Dalton.... GREAT trip, one of the most fun I've had!
Thanks!  The reason that I didn't post a route was that we haven't nailed one down yet.  All of that is totally open at the moment.  It looks like we'll be spending almost a month in Alaska so we've got options.  I'm looking at the tire situation.  Depending on my tire's mileage when I leave (I'm putting on my first replacement rear tire now, Roadsmart II, after 6500miles with the OEM) I may replace one or both tires in Canada before entering Alaska, or arrange to have one or more somewhere in Alaska.  I'm thinking doing it before entering Alaska might make the most sense, but not sure yet. 

I've looked at the MilePost website (very informative) and may get the book to bring with me.  I'll check out the "philsplace" website too.  When getting a hotel, did you have any problems with finding a vacant room?  I've heard that June is a peak time and hotel rooms can be scarce.

• Premium Member
Awesome and good luck! So there's Alaska and then there's Alaska. EG if attempting the Dalton my recommendations would be different than if staying on paved roads.  
This is not FJ-09 specific but I did Los Angeles to Dead Horse August of 2014 on an FJR. Here's the ride report with some details on planning/prep on the first page: http://www.gotfz1.com/alaska2014/

Great!  I'll take a look at it!  Thanks!  

I'm planning on doing the oil pan "fin of death" removal along with installing the low profile drain plug.  I've ordered the Madstad 22" screen (I'm 6'2", 34" inseam), and the KTM hand guards.  I'm giving up on waiting to see what Sargent might do, and will be ordering the Corbin (or maybe riding up to Hollister to see about getting it put on there).   I'm also looking strongly at getting a radiator protector, and will probably go for it soon (checking out the different options).  I know I don't need to turn the FJ into an off-road machine as all kinds of bikes make this trip every year, but wanted to get comfortable and take some basic precautions. 

Hi Steve  (why do I think of "Multiplicity" everytime I say 'Hi Steve'  :D).  Contacting participants of the Alcan5000 Rally might yield some insight.  I did the 2012 Alcan5000 Winter Rally, and it was an amazing adventure.  They alternate between summer and winter rallies every two years.  The summer rally usually has 50% motorcycles.  The route changes every rally as well, but usually end in Alaska.  We started in Seattle, through B.C. to Whitehorse, Dawson City, and (not quite) to Tuktoyaktuk, before heading to Alaska - Fairbanks, Valdez, and finally to Anchorage.  Driving highlight of my life.  I'd love to do the summer rally, but not sure the FJ is the best bike for the trip.  A lot of guys pick up used KLR's, and sell them at the end of the trip in Anchorage (often at a profit!).  Also allows you the avoid the return trip and fly home (significant when you're on the opposite side of the continent)

https://www.alcan5000.com/

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member

I think the radiator protector should be one of the first things you add on-cheap insurance.  I would also consider the Fender Extender for the front wheel. Since you mentioned riding in to Hollister for a Corbin saddle, I'm assuming you will be launching from California. If so, my recommendation would be to go up through Seattle-Vancouver (be sure to take your passport) up through Prince William and then west to the Cassiar highway up to Stewart-Hyder Alaska. Beautiful ride, then back over to the Alcan, up to Whitehorse, and on in to Alaska. the 110 mile stretch between Destruction Bay and the border is the worst highway I've ever ridden. All in all, it's a great trip, and you can save some bucks by staying in the dorms of the University of Alaska, both in Anchorage and Fairbanks. It was a blast for me! 

• Premium Member
will be ordering the Corbin (or maybe riding up to Hollister to see about getting it put on there). 

If you do that, they will ship your stock seats back home for you.  They also have a very cool motorcycle & car museum there and a good cafeteria.  I am no longer a big fan of their seats, but they sure know how to treat their guests!

• Premium Member
will be ordering the Corbin (or maybe riding up to Hollister to see about getting it put on there). 

If you do that, they will ship your stock seats back home for you.  They also have a very cool motorcycle & car museum there and a good cafeteria.  I am no longer a big fan of their seats, but they sure know how to treat their guests!
Sounds good!  I was debating on how I was going to get them home.  Would have probably just bungee'd them on the back seat or something.  If they ship for free, that's definitely a better deal.   The ride south on Hwy 1 would be that much more fun too. 

• Premium Member
I think the radiator protector should be one of the first things you add on-cheap insurance.  I would also consider the Fender Extender for the front wheel. Since you mentioned riding in to Hollister for a Corbin saddle, I'm assuming you will be launching from California. If so, my recommendation would be to go up through Seattle-Vancouver (be sure to take your passport) up through Prince William and then west to the Cassiar highway up to Stewart-Hyder Alaska. Beautiful ride, then back over to the Alcan, up to Whitehorse, and on in to Alaska. the 110 mile stretch between Destruction Bay and the border is the worst highway I've ever ridden. All in all, it's a great trip, and you can save some bucks by staying in the dorms of the University of Alaska, both in Anchorage and Fairbanks. It was a blast for me! 

I just ordered the radiator protector (Evotech), and have been thinking about the Fender Extender.  Maybe even for the rear.  I will be launching from CA, and my friend from Florida.  Unclear whether we're meeting up in CA or somewhere more north.  Those routes sound great and I'll check them out.  Also the dorm idea is one I hadn't considered.  Thanks!   

• Premium Member

Hi Steve  (why do I think of "Multiplicity" everytime I say 'Hi Steve'  :D).  Contacting participants of the Alcan5000 Rally might yield some insight.  I did the 2012 Alcan5000 Winter Rally, and it was an amazing adventure.  They alternate between summer and winter rallies every two years.  The summer rally usually has 50% motorcycles.  The route changes every rally as well, but usually end in Alaska.  We started in Seattle, through B.C. to Whitehorse, Dawson City, and (not quite) to Tuktoyaktuk, before heading to Alaska - Fairbanks, Valdez, and finally to Anchorage.  Driving highlight of my life.  I'd love to do the summer rally, but not sure the FJ is the best bike for the trip.  A lot of guys pick up used KLR's, and sell them at the end of the trip in Anchorage (often at a profit!).  Also allows you the avoid the return trip and fly home (significant when you're on the opposite side of the continent) 
https://www.alcan5000.com/

Mark.

Thanks!  I'll check that out!  

• Premium Member
Even if there is some nominal charge, I'd pay it.  They can ship a lot cheaper than you can due to the volume they do with the shipping companies, and they might just comp you the shipping for coming in to buy the seat.  Either way it beats hauling those useless seats with you.  Call 'em and ask!

• Premium Member
You don't say what roads you will be taking.  The Haul Road?  etc.  That could make a difference in what tires you might be using.  Other than that, I did Alaska in 2010 on my FJR and had no problems with PR-3s, although you will want to expect the tire to wear more.  Afterwards I figured about 20% less mileage.  Like all roads are chip seal.   <snip>
I fully agree with Ken, tires are one of the most critical choices, especially if you are going up the Dalton Dirtway.  <snip>
Regarding tires, I've seen what I would describe as universal road knobbies (more of a block tread, not off-road trail knobbies) in many of the pictures I've seen of bikes traveling in Alaska.  Do you feel that those might be the best choice for overall traveling there?  I'm thinking that I might put on a set before leaving Canada.  I imagine they'll be ready for replacement by the time I get back home and I can return to a good set of road tires again (or if not I can set them aside for another trip).  I'm not planning on doing any off-roading, but they might be better as an overall tire design for that part of the trip.  They might also be over-kill.  Thoughts?  

• Premium Member
Conditions are impossible to predict. On the way up the haul road pure street tires did fine. On the way back, lots of construction, grading, rain, calcium chloride... deep muddy mess. If I was doing it again this year I'd plan to install an 80/20 tire in Anchorage.
If I were doing it again and going all the way to Deadhorse, I think I would be putting Conti TKC 80s' on both ends. There's a guy on the south side of Fairbanks that specializes in tires, and you can book a tire swap through him. You have to order in advance and schedule a time for the work though. WELL worth the effort in my opinion. Sorry, don't know his name or address (even though I've been there) but you might pick it up over on ADVrider forum. 

• Premium Member
Conditions are impossible to predict. On the way up the haul road pure street tires did fine. On the way back, lots of construction, grading, rain, calcium chloride... deep muddy mess. If I was doing it again this year I'd plan to install an 80/20 tire in Anchorage.
If I were doing it again and going all the way to Deadhorse, I think I would be putting Conti TKC 80s' on both ends. There's a guy on the south side of Fairbanks that specializes in tires, and you can book a tire swap through him. You have to order in advance and schedule a time for the work though. WELL worth the effort in my opinion. Sorry, don't know his name or address (even though I've been there) but you might pick it up over on ADVrider forum.
Looking at the Conti TKC 80's, I also see the Conti TKC 70's which (according to their "Spider Diagram") land in the 70/30+ Road/Off-Road capability area.  Less aggressive than the 80's but more than street tires while maintaining better road qualities.  Has anyone tried these? 
See http://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro/tkc-70
and http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/continental/tkc-70/

*** Edit (2/13/16):  I think, for my use, that the TKC80 is overkill.  I've been doing some research on the TKC70 tires and have read a number of reviews that basically state they love the rear tire, but the front can have severe wobble and tracking issues.  I don't know if anyone on this forum has tried them and experienced any of this.  I'm currently thinking about the Conti Trail Attack 2.  80/20 tire (road/offroad) that seems to have high mileage capability, does well on curvy roads (again, not peg scraping here), and handles dirt, gravel, and general light offroad use well.  Nothing seems to work well in the mud or sand short of more aggressive knobbies so...   I would most likely put them on in Canada, and they should last me until I get back to SoCal.  Is anyone here using them on their FJ? 

Archived