Stock Suspension Sucks

root

... I have not tried to set sag because every time I do that with stock suspension I have to end up winding in so much preload to get the sag that the spring is effectively at coil bind.

So If I read that right, it sucks because you haven't bothered to set it up because you *know* it won't work. 
Got it.

• Premium Member
So If I read that right, it sucks because you haven't bothered to set it up because you *know* it won't work. 
Got it.

Exactly, but just for you, I went through the useless exercise.

Results were exactly as predicted. Not able to achieve desired sag on either end (about 38mm), and the ride is harsher than before.  Getting a sag number by adding way too much preload just makes it stiff and causes coil bind.  

Springs on both ends have so much preload that they get into coil bind with very little additional travel.  There is NOTHING you can do with clickers and preload to compensate for a spring that is grossly under the required rate.  I have done lots of suspension setups, and I don't have to do this to know when it is futile.

Fork          Stock     Notes                              After
Preload        16mm     Top of cap nut to top of adjuster  0mm
Rebound       7 FFH     FH=Full Clockwise                  7 FFH
Comp            n/a     not adjustable
Unladen sag    35mm                                        30mm
Rider sag      58mm                                        55mm
Travel        137mm
Desired Sag 34-45mm

Shock         Stock     Notes                              After
Preload    Notch #4                                     Notch #7
Rebound 1.5 CCW FFH     FH=Full Clockwise
Comp            n/      not adjustable
Unladen sag     6mm                                          6mm
Rider sag      44mm                                         40mm
Travel        130mm
Desired Sag 33-42mm

• Premium Member
Knew it wouldn't work before even considering buying it. Ignore the smarmy condescension (usually that's my job). 
Have the same issue. Never expect stock Japanese bikes to be sprung or valved to my needs but would be a bigger fan if it came with components worthy of just a respring/valving at this price point. Until upgrade one short of full preload front and rear and about in the middle on the other settings. Soft and wallowing is easier for me to "ride around" than hard/sharp. YMMV.
Couldn't agree more, on all counts.  Usually the smarmy condescension comes from those who are not well informed.

Knew it wouldn't work before even considering buying it. Ignore the smarmy condescension (usually that's my job). 
Have the same issue. Never expect stock Japanese bikes to be sprung or valved to my needs but would be a bigger fan if it came with components worthy of just a respring/valving at this price point. Until upgrade one short of full preload front and rear and about in the middle on the other settings. Soft and wallowing is easier for me to "ride around" than hard/sharp. YMMV.
Couldn't agree more, on all counts.  Usually the smarmy condescension comes from those who are not well informed.
Just to be clear, I never professed to know anything. Quite the opposite if you've come to know me from my previous posts. Moving along now.

Archived