RAM balls for GPS & Radar Detector

• 4 weeks later...
Update on RAM Ball mount for GPS and Radar Detector. I moved the RAM Balls to the aft handlebar bolt and put in a 1/4" spacer to raise the ball higher as the RAM brackets touched the handle bar brackets and restricted the movement. gVLNfVT.jpgNow I can see over the GPS and Radar Detector to see the dash better.pFRCLGv.jpgRAM Balls set on 1/4" spacer.sU6FVxY.jpgIf you are wondering how all this works?  I plug my tank bag into the outlet on the left side of the dash.  In the tank bag I have a splitter and 4 outlets plus 2 USB outlets.  I plug into the outlets in the tank bag for the GPS, Radar and in the tank bag I carry my phone, plugged in, and also a Auto Com which I plug into my helmet.  Old school, but it works.  Music is carried on either the phone or the GPS and feed through the Auto Com to my helmet.  GPS is Bluetooth to the phone and will notify me of a call.  I always stop to talk on the phone.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Good stuff! I like it! What model GPS unit is that? 

The gps is a Garmin Nuvi 780.  I bought one of these 4-5 years ago new and now I have (4) operating units.  One has a broken case but still holds together, from a crash.  I put it in the RAM holder and it does fine.  I mount two on the FJR, and one for each car.  They do require a zip lock bag cover when it rains.  Real easy to slip over the top and you don't even need a rubber band, but you can if you like.  I picked the last two up this year off ebay for around $30+shipping.  These were top rated units costing around $800 when new.  I know people that have paid over $600 for their gps and don't even know how to program a route or how to use other find features to locate a gas station.  Go figure. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Update on RAM Ball mount for GPS and Radar Detector. I moved the RAM Balls to the aft handlebar bolt and put in a 1/4" spacer to raise the ball higher as the RAM brackets touched the handle bar brackets and restricted the movement. gVLNfVT.jpgNow I can see over the GPS and Radar Detector to see the dash better.pFRCLGv.jpgRAM Balls set on 1/4" spacer.sU6FVxY.jpgIf you are wondering how all this works?  I plug my tank bag into the outlet on the left side of the dash.  In the tank bag I have a splitter and 4 outlets plus 2 USB outlets.  I plug into the outlets in the tank bag for the GPS, Radar and in the tank bag I carry my phone, plugged in, and also a Auto Com which I plug into my helmet.  Old school, but it works.  Music is carried on either the phone or the GPS and feed through the Auto Com to my helmet.  GPS is Bluetooth to the phone and will notify me of a call.  I always stop to talk on the phone.
Sorry to raise an old thread from the dead, but where can I get the spacers? Also are the bolts that came with the ram mounting kit long enough or did you have to buy new bolts to work with the spacers? Don't want my handlebars splitting apart if the ram bolt isn't long enough. 
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

fitrider82: 1/4" spaces can be found at any ACE Hardware store. Just take the bolt in and you can buy spacers that will fit right over them in many different lengths. So if you want 1/4, 1/2 or 1", they have them.

fitrider82: 1/4" spaces can be found at any ACE Hardware store. Just take the bolt in and you can buy spacers that will fit right over them in many different lengths. So if you want 1/4, 1/2 or 1", they have them.
Ok thanks. Are provided ram bolts long enough to use with the spacers or wil I need new bolts? thanks 
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

Ok thanks. Are provided ram bolts long enough to use with the spacers or wil I need new bolts? thanks 
IIR, the long bolts that came with the Ram balls were just right with the 1/4" risers. 

Archived