Lean angle questions

• Premium Member
I encourage anybody to read Total Control by Lee Parks.  
Body positioning has allot to do with lean angle needed. I see arguments about people dragging a knee on the street all the time on the internet. While I don't drag a knee I get off the bike allot after reading this book. ...
Anyway my point is that you can gain allot of lean angle by getting off the bike a bit. Technique and form are important to not upset the bike so I recommend reading Total Control or one of the other books that apply racing techniques to the street. It helped me allot. It's not just about going faster it's about being safe and building confidence.
I have read Total Control and I second your recommendation. It discusses traction, braking, suspension, ... in addition to body positioning. Since reading it I have learned to lean my head and shoulders off the bike and into the turn in order to keep the bike more upright where it has better traction. It gives me an additional method of controlling the bike in addition to the counter-steer.  
I am less likely to slide my butt off the seat towards the turn. I know that will enhance traction even more, and I have tried it a little, but I feel more secure with my butt on the seat. Even so, hanging the head and shoulders off the bike in the direction of the turn is effective and easy.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I thought the tail and the swingarm were different on the FZ? Also who cares about lean angle? Just go ride it. It's not a track bike.
Exactly - there is no need to worry about numbers. I don't recall anyone disagreeing with my real world experience in that the ground clearance for leaning into corners is more than adequate for road riding.  
This doesn't apply to the Tracer/FJ09 but anyone that watches MotoGP will see Marc Marquez do everything he can to keep the bike as upright as possible when cornering. That may mean spinning or sliding the rear wheel or hanging off like a gibbon so that his elbows or shoulders are scraping the floor. Or all of the above

Marquez is incredible , best rider in the world  

the lean angle is fine, you should try to keep the bike more upright when navigating curves. I occasionally get the hero-peg-scrape, but that just tells me my body positioning is bad.RgiN5m8 

mz_Ckne_Mh.jpg

No offense, but there is no reason to be hanging that far off the bike at that lean angle. Looks more like an attempt to "drag a knee" to me

• Supporting Member
the lean angle is fine, you should try to keep the bike more upright when navigating curves. I occasionally get the hero-peg-scrape, but that just tells me my body positioning is bad.RgiN5m8 

mz_Ckne_Mh.jpg

No offense, but there is no reason to be hanging that far off the bike at that lean angle. Looks more like an attempt to "drag a knee" to me

Since he is in a parking lot, I'd assume he is practicing cornering and running parking lot drills.  I could be wrong.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Since he is in a parking lot, I'd assume he is practicing cornering and running parking lot drills.  I could be wrong.

You're right, I was just practicing. Hence the suit in a parking lot. Also, the peg is scraping there, or very close to it, so I'm not really gonna get any more lean out of it. My point is that the max lean of the bike is plenty, if you really feel the need to go faster you just need to work on body positioning. As is it's plenty to make B group on the track with a fairly decent rider, not sure why you're buying an FJ if you need to move faster than that!

there are quite a few schools of thought on lean angle/body position...

stay old school- keep body inside bike but swing arse out off seat

go new school with 2 slightly diffrent styles by -either keeping bike upright as possible and literally hang off the bike past the bikes lean angle or - lean the bike as much as possible by using elbows and knees as a prop

or go MX rut railing style by putting the inside leg up on the handlebar and sitting on outside side of the seat pushing/controlling the lean angle to near 90° like so...

Rookie-_Talk-_Michael-_Mosiman.jpg
137414idstyle.jpg
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

there are quite a few schools of thought on lean angle/body position... 
stay old school- keep body inside bike but swing arse out off seat

go new school with 2 slightly diffrent styles by -either keeping bike upright as possible and literally hang off the bike past the bikes lean angle or - lean the bike as much as possible by using elbows and knees as a prop

or go MX rut railing style by putting the inside leg up on the handlebar and sitting on outside side of the seat pushing/controlling the lean angle to near 90° like so...

Rookie-_Talk-_Michael-_Mosiman.jpg

137414idstyle.jpg

Yeah, these are all valid I guess, but it's definitively safest to keep the bike upright as much as is possible and comfortable. That way your suspension has the ability to work fully and you have the maximum amount of grip

Archived