reverse shift pattern

com3

so, pretty much every bike (aside from supermotos and dirtbikes) i've owned over the last ten or so years, i've flipped to reverse shift (some people call it GP shift..but not all GP riders run reverse, so i call it what it is).  

the very first thing i went to do with the FJ was flip the shift pattern...BUUUUTTT, the silly way yamaha designed the MT/FZ/FJ is so that the rearsets are bolted on thru the swingarm pivot (wtf?!)... and the shift rod will hit the rearset if you try to flip it...

sooooooo....out came the dremel!  hahaha!  structurally, it should still be good.  time will tell! but at least now i'm back to having reverse shift!

measure once...

20160212_210733-01-XL.jpg

cut for 15 mins!

20160212_213313-01-XL.jpg

• Premium Member
That's cool and all but...I don't get it??  Please excuse my ignorance, but why do a mod like this?  What's the purpose/benefits of it? 

Thanks to anyone who can patiently explain it to me.

Chuck
I believe the theory is so you don't have to get your toe between the shifter and the ground (reducing ground clearance) for upshifts when you are in extreme lean positions (racing).  Racing, typically you get your downshifts done before the corner, but you might well be upshifting while still at an extreme lean angle exiting the turn. They stomp down for upshifts.  
My dangly bits are too small to have ridden in such lean angles, so it doesn't seem useful for me.  But guys who spent a lot of time on racebikes that were set up for reverse shifting might well want it on their street bikes for consistency if nothing more.

This is the only way to shift. I have the gp shifting on the sport bike and it is much smoother then factory shifting. I was going to do the same as you did but decided to wait. There is a company here in portland that make rear sets for the fz and fj that will allow for gp shifting Maybe I will get a set with my tax returns.

• 3 weeks later...
I simply prefer reverse shift, as all my other bikes are reverse (they're track only bikes. The fj is my only street legal bike).

Easier to click up-shifts (no stomping, just clicking), particularly while at lean. Back-shifts are more natural for me as well.

About 8 years ago, I rode a buddy's gsxr at the track, identical to mine...except it was standard shift... As I went to short-shift from second to third while going down a steep, off camber right hander, I accidentally clicked to first...I reached lower orbit momentarily, but somehow landed back on the bike, upright. I only made that mistake once. Haha

• 7 months later...
I have had my FJ 09 3 weeks now. I am coming off a sport bike with GP shifting. I saw your image. How is it working out?  Do you think it degraded the structural integrity of the rear set?. I would love to hear from you
Wallace
707 239-2000

• 3 weeks later...
I have had my FJ 09 3 weeks now. I am coming off a sport bike with GP shifting. I saw your image. How is it working out?  Do you think it degraded the structural integrity of the rear set?. I would love to hear from you Wallace
707 239-2000

Sorry! I suck at forums... I replied to your pm! It's great! :)

Archived