Tools for FJ-09

skunkmilk

I have a fairly limited set of tools (at least compared to everyone else in my family) and I was wondering if I was going to buy a tool set to help work on the FJ09, what should I get? Seems to be a lot of Allen head bolts. Is there a set that covers most of the sizes found on the bike? 6mm - 12mm? Not even really sure what the range would be.

Anyway... pretend money is no object but you want the most coverage for the least amount. What's needed?

• 2 months later...
You will need a 12mm deep well socket and rachet with a 3" extension for exhaust work.
10, 11, 12. 13, 14 and 17mm box open wrenches, with matching sockets with a ratchet.
A 27mm deep well socket for the axle nuts and a 32mm socket for the steering head bearings.
You will need 4-8mm hex (allen) wrenches, a flat blade and phillips tip screwdriver and a torque wrench that goes from 0-100 pds/ft.
And a small adjustable wrench to screw off the pesky footpeg feelers.
A steel ruler or vernier caliper for measuring/setting fork spring preloads. And an oil filter wrench with drain pan.

Everyone else, weigh in.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
I use a Mastercard more than anything else
I'm definitely lighting the Amex on fire this week myself :-).
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I use a Mastercard more than anything else
I'm definitely lighting the Amex on fire this week myself :-).
I gave the Amex a rest. It rolls over to the next monthly cycle in 6 days and I need luggage...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Couter, If I can wrestle one out of the hands of a Yamaha shop manager, you can bet I'd share!  P-)
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
for those in the UK, Halfords have their pro range heavily discounted this weekend - the pro range has a lifetime guarantee and a formidable reputation for quality and not far below Snap-on in terms of warranty service.
This is quite good value and has a 27mm socket for the rear axle (but they are only 3 quid from Amazon)

If you can register as a trade customer then you may get items cheaper 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Another important item to have: torque wrench, best to have something that goes from 10-150 ft lbs. which usually means a 3/8" drive and a 1/2" drive.

Part number for the service manual is LIT-11616-28-46

You can order it from your dealer.

-Skip

• Premium Member
if you want a torque wrench then this is a good buy from Amazon  UK for £17 - and here's the 27mm socket for the rear axle for £3. Silverline seems to be a decent brand, not in the Snap-on category but up there with Draper so fine for amateur use. 

if you want a torque wrench then this is a good buy from Amazon  UK for £17 - and here's the 27mm socket for the rear axle for £3. Silverline seems to be a decent brand, not in the Snap-on category but up there with Draper so fine for amateur use. 

That is one device I would no skimp on.
A torque wrench is to accurately tighten fixings and a £17 torque wrench will make a click for sure but at what pressure is anyone's guess.
My torque wrench cost me £400 but I can trust it 100% and is calibrated every 6 months.
£100 will get you one worth having.

Archived