Soft bags v. fender eliminator

aggiedaddy

• Premium Member
Being fairly new (my fj-09 is less than a year old), I have the twistedthrottle.com soft bags that look like and are cheaper than yamaha's.  If I install fender eliminator on the rear, I was wondering if the bags interfere with the relocation of the stock turn signals.  Thanks for any input/pix.  

• Premium Member
They will. The signals will be mushed up against the bags. And if you use smaller signals, they will be hidden from the side and less noticeable from the rear. I never understand why so many guys want to shrink up the license and lighting on their bikes. It's not a track bike. The stock unit looks good, except for the indicators themselves. I switched out the stockers for some modern led ones that match the look of the bike better, but they are still out there, clear of the luggage and visible so people actually can see that I am going to turn.

I have those Blaze Sport bags too and really like them.
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the input.  I watched a few videos on the fender eliminators.  I think I will keep the stock turn signals, take off the flapping rubber and mount them closer to the eliminator that way and see how that looks. Its a $35 experiment, so easy to revert back in time and money.

mh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Thanks for your advice.  I got the fender eliminator in and mounted the old tail lights on it without the rubber spacers (bringing them in an inch or 2) and the bags fit will, but the lights are somewhat tucked up underneath (not too badly). I ordered the break/tail light led combo from motodynamic.com for $85 (cheaper than some other sites).  It looked great and I decided the stock tail lights did not go well with them, though they can be kept with the purchase of an additional harness.  I ultimately removed the stock lights all together, leaving the motodynamic sequential led/brake light.  Looks more clean, very bright.  Kept the fender eliminator to draw the license plate back in with the included led license plate lite.  

Guest bruinfj09guy
Hey Jeff. What lights did you buy?
I've been kinda on the fence about the eliminator myself, but you've convinced me not to for now. I don't have bags on there often, but when I do I don't want the signals encumbered, or the bags.

They will. The signals will be mushed up against the bags. And if you use smaller signals, they will be hidden from the side and less noticeable from the rear. I never understand why so many guys want to shrink up the license and lighting on their bikes. It's not a track bike. The stock unit looks good, except for the indicators themselves. I switched out the stockers for some modern led ones that match the look of the bike better, but they are still out there, clear of the luggage and visible so people actually can see that I am going to turn.  
I have those Blaze Sport bags too and really like them.

Archived