Seat Concepts Seat

michael

• Premium Member
I have done several trips now, some over 100 miles in a day, on my Seat Concepts cover and foam conversion.  It looks great.  It's not comfortable.  After 40-50 miles I get tired of it scrunching my goodies up against the tank.  My butt starts to burn, and i start having to stand up every few miles.  By the end of 100 miles I wish I was in a car.  I don't think this is a good solution at all for the FJ-09, and consider it money wasted.

I hope Sargent comes out with something as comfortable as the Sargent seats I have had on previous bikes.

seat-concepts-seat.jpg

I have done several trips now, some over 100 miles in a day, on my Seat Concepts cover and foam conversion.  It looks great.  It's not comfortable.  After 40-50 miles I get tired of it scrunching my goodies up against the tank.  My butt starts to burn, and i start having to stand up every few miles.  By the end of 100 miles I wish I was in a car.  I don't think this is a good solution at all for the FJ-09, and consider it money wasted. 
I hope Sargent comes out with something as comfortable as the Sargent seats I have had on previous bikes.

seat-concepts-seat.jpg

The Sargent seat I bought for my gen2 FZ1 was a waste of money in my case. The consensus on the FZ1 forums was that it was designed for people under 180lbs. Being north of 230lbs it was a poor fit for me. My sitting bones completely bottomed out on the pan.

I've been waiting on information from Sargent on the release date of their FJ09 seat before I plunk down a large sum of cash for the Corbin, but haven't heard any details lately. Michael, in your experience were the Sargent seats you've had in the past suited for guys my size? I would like to order a seat this week so I'll have it in time for spring, but so far the only option for me seems to be the Corbin. Wondering if it's a good idea for me to wait a bit more...

Thanks,

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

i found this as well:

http://www.sellerie-moillo.com/sellerie/fr/265-selles-confort-moto-yamaha-personnalisees-sur-mesure/1173-mt-09-tracer

I have the SC seat and its not all that. I hate the look and feel of COrbin so I just bought a seat poad for now. I'm still taking care of "must-haves" before I get back to buying things "just because"  P-)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I put a Russell Daylong on my V Strom. My lord was that thing ugly. OTOH, it was more comfortable than ANY other seat I have ever sat on. That tractor seat just lifts and separates, while suppporting each cheek on cloud of angels. Unfortunately I cannot uglify my FJ like that. On the the V, meh, whatever.

The last Sargent seat I had was on my 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650. It was excellent, and I am north of 250lbs. It wasn't a special either, although I did order the low version of the seat. 

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I agree, those Russells are way ugly, like someone bolted a couch onto a motorcycle.  That said, I bet they are comfy.  That would be OK if only my ass could see it, but unfortunately my eyes might catch a glimpse once and a while and I would go blind.

lol, all true. But on a hot summers ride, 8 hours into busting my hump in the backwoods I would stand up, air out the behind, and when I sat back down.... lets just say that was the biggest smile I could get out of the V.

I agree, those Russells are way ugly, like someone bolted a couch onto a motorcycle.  That said, I bet they are comfy.  That would be OK if only my ass could see it, but unfortunately my eyes might catch a glimpse once and a while and I would go blind.

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I had a custom sest made by Bill Mayers Seats in Ventura , CA made. I did the ride in option since they were in town. It took about 3 hours from ride in to ride out including trial ride on mock up seat. They build a quality seat but they are not cheap. It was about $500 for the rider seat covered in vinyl. My butt says it was well worth it. They do mail order too. They ship world wide. BMS uses your seat pan as a base.

I liked the 3/4" thick medical gel insert I put in a saddle. I paid $70 back in the day. But these might work too. Some shaving and cutting needed. I would probably put a race foam in the pan to fill in any gaps and then put the Gel right under the cover material.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/21510/i/saddlemen-saddlegel-raw-gel-pad
http://www.saddlemen.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=raw%20gel

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CUHJSK
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Protection-Wheelchair-Cushion/dp/B002VWJZHE

• 4 weeks later...

I've been waiting on information from Sargent on the release date of their FJ09 seat ...
I just visited Sargent's website today and it says that the target release date for their FJ-09 seat is April 2016.  Fingers Crossed! 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 3 weeks later...
I had a custom sest made by Bill Mayers Seats in Ventura , CA made. I did the ride in option since they were in town. It took about 3 hours from ride in to ride out including trial ride on mock up seat. They build a quality seat but they are not cheap. It was about $500 for the rider seat covered in vinyl. My butt says it was well worth it. They do mail order too. They ship world wide. BMS uses your seat pan as a base.
Can you post some pictures?

Can you post some pictures?
I'm planning to go BAGSTER seats.   Far from cheap, but have excellent reviews from guys who seem to know their stuff.   Plenty of posts here about them.   I had a SEAT CONCEPTS kit on my last FJ - some improvement over stock, but not brilliant.
[em]W [/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived