2015 versus 2016

tc1127l

Wondering if there are any major differences between 2015 and 2016 FJ-09 models (besides color choices)??

'16 models are supposed to come with newly designed oil pans (drain plug not on the bottom), but it's unconfirmed if they introduced them midway through production or not.
'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member
Going forward it would be in your best interest to look under the bike for that new oil pan. It should be a recall on the old style pan. JMHO. Other than that I'm not sure of any other change?
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 3 weeks later...
The 2015 may or may not be affected by the shifter shaft recall. I just picked up a 2015 and the dealer is doing the recall work before I take possession. 2016 has the factory fix in place.
This is true.  If you buy from a reputable dealer, it won't get sold at this point without being fixed.  That being said, it's still worth it to check that the recall has been done if affected.

• Premium Member
I stopped by the Yamaha tent out at the Daytona Speedway during Bikeweek. Looked at a new Silver FJ09. It had the plug on the bottom. I asked a Yamaha rep if this would be a recall change. He got mad at me as if I called his mother something bad. He even cursed. He said that unless Yamaha sees it as a safety issue they would not do a recall. Basically the customer would have to pay to replace the pan if you want one. The rep calmed down mainly because I kept my cool and kept the conversation civil but IMHO that's no way to react to a customer. Once he got past the dreaded,"Recall" word he actually was a decent fella. Who knows maybe he was needing a break from pain in the ass customers like me..;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I stopped by the Yamaha tent out at the Daytona Speedway during Bikeweek. Looked at a new Silver FJ09. It had the plug on the bottom. I asked a Yamaha rep if this would be a recall change. He got mad at me as if I called his mother something bad. He even cursed. He said that unless Yamaha sees it as a safety issue they would not do a recall. Basically the customer would have to pay to replace the pan if you want one. The rep calmed down mainly because I kept my cool and kept the conversation civil but IMHO that's no way to react to a customer. Once he got past the dreaded,"Recall" word he actually was a decent fella. Who knows maybe he was needing a break from pain in the ass customers like me..;-)
With the R1 transmission recall, they're a little sensitive to that word these days.  :'(
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived