New guy with questions, am VERY happy with this bike~!

OK, somebody has to defend the KL.R so it might as well be me. I owned one and really liked it! Comparing the KL.R to almost any other bike is like comparing a mule to a thoroughbred but the mule is a dependable beast that will get you where you want to go without a lot of fuss. Cockroaches, Cher and KL.R's will survive the apocalypse.
This man speaks the truth. If you know how to ride it, it's a good ride. Awesome for a beginner. There are many accounts of people riding the KL.Rs across the country. It's a great bike if your not sure what you want or you want exactly a 50/50 bike. Which means it's a pig in the dirt and it's street manners are crappy....  
Besides, you don't buy a KL.R for performance, you buy it because you can beat the crap out of it and it still runs. You don't see special forces riding Honda XRs...

According to the owner's manual you should be in 6th gear by 37mph!
As far as the tool strap thing goes, there are two small molded plastic "hooks" on each side of the "space" for the tool bundle. Hook one of the metal "buckles" to each "hook" and that should secure the tools.
I just installed a larger windshield (cal-sci) which has reduced the wind noise and turbulence quite a bit.

According to the owner's manual you should be in 6th gear by 37mph! I just installed a larger windshield (cal-sci) which has reduced the wind noise and turbulence quite a bit.
I don't use those numbers for shifting.  Put a 0 behind the gear number and you will  be safe. Can you post pictures of the Cal-sci windshield?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I shift by feel. The bike will tell you when to shift, just don't over-rev it when new.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Can you post pictures of the Cal-sci windshield?
I can post pictures of mine, but the Calsci website has some pretty decent pictures there. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
OK, somebody has to defend the KL.R so it might as well be me. I owned one and really liked it! Comparing the KL.R to almost any other bike is like comparing a mule to a thoroughbred but the mule is a dependable beast that will get you where you want to go without a lot of fuss. Cockroaches, Cher and KL.R's will survive the apocalypse.
My two biggest problems with the klr is that it does nothing well and there is a significantly better bike available - the 650L.  Why anyone would choose that....thing over the 650L is beyond my comprehension.   This is of course all my opinion....but it's hard to argue with a whole pile of Baja Wins  

You're focusing on the dirt; yes, the 650L is better, but it's highway manners are horrific in comparison. It's too light, no fairing, etc. People don't generally travel across the country on a XR 650. A lot of people do on a K.LR.

I get it, it's not for everyone, but for the right kind of people it works. It's a poor man's adventure bike.

Guest eatpasta
You're focusing on the dirt; yes, the 650L is better, but it's highway manners are horrific in comparison. It's too light, no fairing, etc. People don't generally travel across the country on a XR 650. A lot of people do on a K.LR.
     This is suggesting that the K.LR isn't horrific on the freeway - its a 650 thumper.  It's a dirtbike mascaraing with a fairing on it - so is it a dirt bike?  Is it a touring bike?
      We all know that if you're going to have an ADV bike, you're going to have to make compromises leaning toward street or dirt.  So if you're going to lean toward the street, get a Tiger, 950/990, 800/1200 GS and learn to ride the dirt.  If you're riding dirt there are dozens of better bikes.  Hell there are a few bikes that are better everywhere.
    The bottom line for me is that there are SO many better options for every facet of motorcycling, why on earth would anyone end up with a shitbox?

...and for the record, I've never in my life heard anyone complain about a bike being too light.

Guest eatpasta
 You don't see special forces riding Honda XRs...

the only thing left stock on the KLR's the special forces guys use, is the frame and "a few engine components" because of the Diesel conversion.  nearly 100 mpg though - which is amazing.      and from the looks of it, most of their bikes are going to be electric in the next few years because they make almost zero sound

This is suggesting that the K.LR isn't horrific on the freeway - its a 650 thumper.  It's a dirtbike mascaraing with a fairing on it - so is it a dirt bike?  Is it a touring bike?       We all know that if you're going to have an ADV bike, you're going to have to make compromises leaning toward street or dirt.  So if you're going to lean toward the street, get a Tiger, 950/990, 800/1200 GS and learn to ride the dirt.  If you're riding dirt there are dozens of better bikes.  Hell there are a few bikes that are better everywhere.
    The bottom line for me is that there are SO many better options for every facet of motorcycling, why on earth would anyone end up with a shitbox?

...and for the record, I've never in my life heard anyone complain about a bike being too light.

Guys who do a lot of riding across the mid-US tell me you'll want a heavy bike for that kind of riding. The 40+ MPH crosswinds that come over the plains will toss you in the other lane on a light bike. That's one reason HDs and big cruisers are more popular in these areas.

Are you seriously comparing a $7K brand new KL.R with a 1200 GS...? If you're not trolling, you should be.

Guest eatpasta
     This is suggesting that the K.LR isn't horrific on the freeway - its a 650 thumper.  It's a dirtbike mascaraing with a fairing on it - so is it a dirt bike?  Is it a touring bike?       We all know that if you're going to have an ADV bike, you're going to have to make compromises leaning toward street or dirt.  So if you're going to lean toward the street, get a Tiger, 950/990, 800/1200 GS and learn to ride the dirt.  If you're riding dirt there are dozens of better bikes.  Hell there are a few bikes that are better everywhere.

Are you seriously comparing a $7K brand new KL.R with a 1200 GS...? If you're not trolling, you should be.

Im certainly not comparing a boxer GS to a KLR - they're apples and oranges - Im simply saying there are many, many viable alternatives.  Chief among them the 650L

I get it, it's not for everyone, but for the right kind of people it works. It's a poor man's adventure bike.

And according to some motorcycle journalist that compared the KLR to such bikes as BMW GS and other heavy weights, it is still the best for going around the world.  Where much more dirt roads are involved.  21 years of parts spread all over.   

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived