Traxxion Suspension review UPDATED

cowboyrog

Traxxion write up.  UPDATE as of 2/25/16 (see below)

I got the Traxxion and Penske upgrade on my FJ 09 about 2 months ago and will review and update here on my overall impression.

First about me, I am 6’3” inches tall 225 lbs, 34 inseam and 62 years old. Been ridding since I was 12 and this is probably my 30th bike and only my third brand new bike. Currently have a 2013 Ducati Multistrada that I really like also. Overall I really like the FJ 09 for handling, performance and general riding. I ride a lot, about 25 to 30K a year. I am a moderate rider and ride with some pretty fast guys most of the time. Live South of San Francisco and there are a tons of twisty fun roads in all directions.

I have also done the ECU flash by 2WheelDynoWorks. My major problems with the bike when it was stock was the suspension and the throttle, with the suspension causing me the most concern. When I would go into a corner and hit any type of rough road the suspension would bounce me around and because the throttle was so sensitive it made for an added adventure. Never out of control just not smooth and 100% in control like it should be. The ECU flash was a total success and I will write up a review separately.

Now the suspension. Yes Traxxion is expensive but I checked around and regardless of bike it got rave reviews. Could not find a good alternative to Traxxion that I felt would really solve the suspension problem. I hate spending less money on a possible fix and not having it work to the level I want and then having to go out and purchase the proper item to get the problem completely fixed and spending more money. Cheaper just do it right from the very beginning. Traxxion was very informative and helpful in the initial research and answered all my questions. Took about 10 days to receive after I ordered. Had forks and shock installed at a San Francisco Bay area suspension shop that had performed an install before and knew what they were doing.

Before install

Bike would dive on any braking that I performed and only felt moderately planted in a corner and if the pavement had any irregularities it would shake the bike around. I slowed down in corners due to this problem. Wavy roads caused the bike to be erratic in both front and rear and force me to slow down also. Jointers in the pavement caused the rear to nearly bottom out and the front to shake moderately up and down. Again not out of control just not what a suspension should be doing on a motorcycle for proper and comfortable riding.

Outcome after install

First thing I noticed was very little dive and very controlled as I braked. Just getting on the bike I could notice the whole bike was more solid. The corners are now feel very planted and it rails in corners. I feel very in control and the bike is 100% under my control. Easy to pick a line and stick it through the entire corner. Jointers in pavement still gave me a slight jar but only about 20% of the stock set up. There is never any slight shaking in the front wheel and the forks are outstanding for any type of road. This bike now rides as well as my Ducati Multistrada through corners. The Duc is still better on rough roads and is adjustable on the fly so they cannot really be compared. The overall bike just feels tighter with razor steering and precise control. Never had any wobble in front wheel but the front just feels more solid and it adds to my confidence. I have not really dealt with describing suspension setups so my explanations are probably a little awkward for those more educated in suspension speak.

Overall I recommend the Traxxion Suspension along with the Penske rear shock.

I have not completely tweaked the suspension setting to exactly the way I want.

I do not make radical suspension changes when adjusting. It is 90% perfect the right out of the box, just a little too stiff for me so I am slowly dialing in the shock then the forks. When I complete the entire setup I will post my settings in this thread.

I would recommend the Traxxion but first check to see if there is anything new that has come out during the colder weather months. Traxxion is great just expensive. I wish I could have found something less costly but overall it is a top notch product. I just hate spending 20% of what I bought the bike for just for suspension. It is your decision depending on your personal desire for a great suspension and your own $$.

RC

As of 2/25/16
Played with both the shock and forks and loosened up the both compression and rebound. Then went for my usual 200 mile quick jaunt with my weekday riding buddies. We do this twice weekly, sometimes more. Retirement is great!! 
Only made small adjustments in the forks because they only have 3 turns and that is it.
Did the rebound and compression about 1/3 of a full turn.
Gave the shock rebound about 6 clicks to loosen it up.
Well I am in love all over again. Wow what a difference. The initial install was a big difference. Getting it dialed in was just as big a difference.
This suspension is even smoother and refined than I had hoped for.
Expectations met, and you can't say that about too many accessories on bikes.
Bike really handles all types of roads, corners, and disruptions in general.
It now as good as suspension as  on my Ducati Multistrada.
Still working the smallest changes to see if I can get it any better.
Will count the clicks and write down my settings on the next update.
Still waiting to see if anyone comes out with anything other suspension kits that can even come close to this amount of change.
Remember I felt the original suspension was trash, knew that going in and boy it was bad so this in a very noticeable improvement for me due to my size and weight.
RC

Traxxion is great just expensive. I wish I could have found something less costly but overall it is a top notch product. 

Therein lies the rub - yours truly is 1/2 the cost and just as good IMO but with rather less bling. I've been a Traxxion customer on several bikes before I started doing my own. As you noticed Traxxion errs on the side of stiff and that was my objection as well. It used to be a Lindermann Penske was the best and having owned one I would give it the nod over Traxxion. But that was the original Lindermann, haven't tried the Ed Sorbo edition.

• Premium Member
Traxxion is great just expensive. I wish I could have found something less costly but overall it is a top notch product. 
Therein lies the rub - yours truly is 1/2 the cost and just as good IMO but with rather less bling. I've been a Traxxion customer on several bikes before I started doing my own. As you noticed Traxxion errs on the side of stiff and that was my objection as well. It used to be a Lindermann Penske was the best and having owned one I would give it the nod over Traxxion. But that was the original Lindermann, haven't tried the Ed Sorbo edition. 

Jim Lindemann did the suspension on my Honda CBR900RR back in 1993.  He was a suspension genuis, RIP.

RogerC wrote: "Traxxion is great just expensive..."

I worked in IT and back in the early daze there was a saying "Nobody ever got fired for recommending IBM." It appears that Traxxion have the best product on the market and can therefor charge a premium. But as Roger also noted, it's much cheaper, easier, and less aggravating to do it right the 1st time.

My rule of thumb, generally, is to buy the very best brand and to get their 2nd from the top of the line product. You get 90% of the "goodness" of the top shelf product for 70-80% of the price. Another rule of thumb is to NOT be the 1st guy to buy the product - unless you're getting it free. As we also used to say in IT, "You can tell who the pioneers are, they have the arrows sticking out of their backs!" IOW, don't let yourself be someone's guinea pig...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Well, I pulled the fork legs off tonight and Monday they are on their way to Traxxion for the AK-20 setup. Also ordered a Penske 8983 from them, so I am hoping in about 3 weeks I will have some pretty fine suspension on this bike. Hope so, this is costing a bundle!

I love my Penske and wish I had gone a diff route on the front. Still not satisfied with my Andreani's. Let us know how it works out.

Well, I pulled the fork legs off tonight and Monday they are on their way to Traxxion for the AK-20 setup. Also ordered a Penske 8983 from them, so I am hoping in about 3 weeks I will have some pretty fine suspension on this bike. Hope so, this is costing a bundle!

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
The forks won't even arrive at Traxxion until Monday, and then it takes them 10 days to custom make the AK-20s, then a week for them to get back to me. Gonna be a while. The good news is that I still have my KTM 350 EXC-F to ride in the meantime, and that is a super fun bike to ride, with super suspension.  Not much fun for long highway rides though.

In the meantime, sent the ECU out for flash (should be back today), and have a set of the Graves air injection blockoff plates to install while the tank is off. But I have plenty of time to get that done.

I suppose the Penske shock will show up before the forks do, but I don't want to install it until the forks are back on as I worry about the stability of the motorcycle while it is up on the front PitBull HeadLift stand. I'd have to get it off of the swingarm stand and onto the centerstand without tipping it over, and I think I'm better off waiting on that part of the job. The HeadLift stand is stable as long as the rear of the bike is stable.

I know what you mean about not highway fun. I have been riding my WR250. No windscreen and a 250. It will do it. I'm just not so excited about it in the cold.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
What makes those dirt bikes terrific off road makes them less so on road.

My KTM is super nimble (only weighs about 240 lbs and has 45 HP), but gets blown around easily at freeway speeds. You are supposed to ride those bikes standing up about 80% of the time, so the seat is shall we say "not cushy". But man, on tight twisty bumpy stuff or singletrack, it doesn't get any better.

Nonetheless it will be great to get the reworked and hopefully drastically improved FJ-09 back into service.

I had found the sweet spot on the stock suspension and it was decent but the aftermarket stuff is just better. Unless you get a race bike that already comes with the shiny suspension you would want an aftermarket system. I have read about the BMW bikes with the owners just disgusted with the fact they needed to get new suspension for their 18-20k bike.

That being said I was reading about the new Triumph Explorer (hate the beak!) and with the adjustable suspension I can't see switching the shock to anything other than stock. These adjustable suspension bikes will put a dent in the aftermarket! Of course if you buy one and you're unhappy with the suspension.....  O_o
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Adjustable suspension, (if done with quality components), is fine as long as your body weight is in the target zone for which the suspension was designed (likely, 165-185lbs).  

If you are outside that range, then you likely need springs for an optimum setup.  If you need springs, most likely you need the damping changed to match the springs.  You cannot get it to optimum with preload adjusters and clickers if your weight is outside the design range.

• Premium Member
The forks won't even arrive at Traxxion until Monday, and then it takes them 10 days to custom make the AK-20s, then a week for them to get back to me. Gonna be a while. The good news is that I still have my KTM 350 EXC-F to ride in the meantime, and that is a super fun bike to ride, with super suspension.  Not much fun for long highway rides though. 
In the meantime, sent the ECU out for flash (should be back today), and have a set of the Graves air injection blockoff plates to install while the tank is off. But I have plenty of time to get that done.

I suppose the Penske shock will show up before the forks do, but I don't want to install it until the forks are back on as I worry about the stability of the motorcycle while it is up on the front PitBull HeadLift stand. I'd have to get it off of the swingarm stand and onto the centerstand without tipping it over, and I think I'm better off waiting on that part of the job. The HeadLift stand is stable as long as the rear of the bike is stable.
 @michael, you've got to give us a total rundown and review of all the modifications you've made on your bike when it's finished. You've certainly added all the goodies!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived