Givi D2122S Windscreen

mhevezi

Saw this one on-line and had to have it. Most of the aftermarket windscreens look hideous and this one, did not- at least to me. There will always be a battle between form and function when it comes to windscreens and I'm not looking for Gold Wing levels of comfort, but my GAWD the stock screen is noisy at speed. I'm 6'03" so yeah... lots of noise at my shoulders and head. :\\

I found this one on E-Bay for $70 and shipping was $50 and it took a MONTH to get it, but it's here, doesn't need any special kits, adapters or fasteners to mount and yeah, it looks nice. I had to adjust the angle of the handguards to not contact the new screen, but they do not hit at full lock after that. 

So far I've only had one, short ride with this new shield (been sick) but I'll take it out for some longer rides soon and give you all the skinny on it's effectiveness. Initially, not a substantial improvement over stock. It's only a 1/2in taller than stock, a bit wider and has those lower, 'winglets' that hopefully will help. It has a nice, kick-up at the top. I do like the smoky tint of the Givi shied.

I'll give you my honest and full feedback shortly.

748F322E-F9DA-4A3D-B454-28EE98414967_zpsnqcwsnpu.jpg

DD6BBE8C-9256-4705-B28A-6B67C775E9D1_zpsodinruhi.jpg

40F27A8F-DC50-4F76-AC44-B0C5924DC976_zpsq6unvywl.jpg

845F0CF8-F78D-4612-B037-6763CCAAE797_zps0rrlyxiu.jpg

E405A7FF-B862-4F4F-9931-5331E73EC3BB_zpsakiflj7n.jpg

679C5AA7-8BB9-4E92-8335-7F47C2F8AB35_zps6zxbi9u0.jpg

Saw this one on-line and had to have it. Most of the aftermarket windscreens look hideous and this one, did not- at least to me. There will always be a battle between form and function when it comes to windscreens and I'm not looking for Gold Wing levels of comfort, but my GAWD the stock screen is noisy at speed. I'm 6'03" so yeah... lots of noise at my shoulders and head. :\\ 
I found this one on E-Bay for $70 and shipping was $50 and it took a MONTH to get it, but it's here, doesn't need any special kits, adapters or fasteners to mount and yeah, it looks nice. I had to adjust the angle of the handguards to not contact the new screen, but they do not hit at full lock after that. 

So far I've only had one, short ride with this new shield (been sick) but I'll take it out for some longer rides soon and give you all the skinny on it's effectiveness. Initially, not a substantial improvement over stock. It's only a 1/2in taller than stock, a bit wider and has those lower, 'winglets' that hopefully will help. It has a nice, kick-up at the top. I do like the smoky tint of the Givi shied.

I'll give you my honest and full feedback shortly.

Looks good! Looking forward to your review on it.

• Premium Member
Thanks for keeping me honest Clint. It really isn't much taller than stock. We'll see how she does on the freeway!
Yes sir, looking forward to your feedback. At 6'3" it might be quite different than mine. I personally like the Givi in the lowest position. I find it to be noisey on the highest.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
That's what I'm running on my FJ. I like it. In the highest position it sounds like the wind is being ripped/torn, but it's fine in the middle or lowest position. I think the only difference between the lowest and middle for me is the amount of wind I get on my chest / neck area.

I'm 6'3" also (33" inseam).

• 2 weeks later...
I got this recently and tried it out today. I have been using the powerbronze touring screen up til now.
I'm 5'9" and find this better than stock but probably not as effective as the powerbronze screen. There's no buffeting, the wind noise is reduced but not gone. If I stand up the noise is a lot less.

This being shorter than the powerbronze screen makes it a lot more rigid though, and there is minimal movement (less flapping) at speed. It also, in my opinion, looks a lot nicer than the powerbronze. It is out of the way more too - the powerbronze comes back towards the rider more (due to the height and the curve of the screen).

I will try my puig spoiler on top to see if I can find a better solution but for now I'm happy.

• Premium Member
I got this recently and tried it out today. I have been using the powerbronze touring screen up til now. I'm 5'9" and find this better than stock but probably not as effective as the powerbronze screen. There's no buffeting, the wind noise is reduced but not gone. If I stand up the noise is a lot less.

This being shorter than the powerbronze screen makes it a lot more rigid though, and there is minimal movement (less flapping) at speed. It also, in my opinion, looks a lot nicer than the powerbronze. It is out of the way more too - the powerbronze comes back towards the rider more (due to the height and the curve of the screen).

I will try my puig spoiler on top to see if I can find a better solution but for now I'm happy.
I found the same as you with the (original) Powerbronze screen, that it pushed back and then oscillated at speed. Since fitting the Puig spoiler this oscillation has stopped. It still pushes back but the wind resistance on the spoiler and the mass of the spoiler stop the oscillation. I am quite happy with the performance of this combination and have got used to the unusual appearance. 

Incidentally, hence my (original), Powerbronze have adapted their screen. The sides of mine are straight. The new one has indents, presumably to avoid the handguards. My screen did not hit the OE handguards but I guess they can rotate on the bars and it depends where they are positioned. I have changed my handguards so it does not affect me anyway. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

So my initial impressions on the Givi screen-

First and foremost- it looks really nice. The smoke tint is nice, without being too dark. The height and width are all proportional to the bike and it matches the styling perfectly.

I'm 6'03 with a 34 inseam. I ran the stock screen at the highest position. I've been riding with the Givi in the highest as well.

It's better than stock: But that really isn't telling you much. A discarded lid from a tub of Country Crock spread is an improvement over the stock screen. I noticed a definite improvement on the highway and it's really nice at 60 and below, but I rarely cruise at 60 or below on the highway. At 70, the wind blast hits the helmet and creates some noise, but it's not too bad. I use a Shoei NeoTec with a Sena 20s communicator, so the helmet is pretty quiet, until you hang the Sena off the side. Anyways, the IS noticeably better than stock.

I am going to test it in the mid- and low- positions next.

For looks- I give it a 9/10. For function (in the highest spot), she rates 7/10. Improved, but could be better.

For the money, I am very pleased.

• 1 month later...
So, after 500+ miles with this thing, it's better than stock, in looks and performance, but don't expect too much. I tried in all 3 positions and highest is best for me.

It's a good balance between looks and function, but I'm going to add a few washers to the upper, two mounting holes to give the windscreen a more, "upright angle" to help with additional deflection.

Again, I'll get it done and report back.

Happy Riding!

I've had mine several weeks now. Shipping for me took less than 3 weeks but so far it's been worth the wait. In the middle setting still had some buffeting. I then changed it to the highest setting and was riding around for a while and then it hit me that there was much less buffeting. I'm 6'0" btw. I had a Cal Sci tall touring screen and that one was quite flimsy and I didn't like the mounting system. This one is much better even though it isn't taller. Bottom line - I REALLY like it! IMHO of course. 

• Premium Member
That is a great looking windscreen, and by the sounds of it a good improvement to what comes with the bike. Anyone know a good/trusted source in Canada... or the US?
recognise any of these: http://www.givi.ca/en/dealers.php  
Alternatively, do like I do with Givi kit, order directly from Italy. It is much cheaper usually.

This company is excellent and has both Givi screens available
http://www.accessorimotostore.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=D2122 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I got my Windscreen off of E-Bay, and it took a few weeks, but even with extra $$$ in shipping, it was very reasonable. I have to look up what I spent, but it was close to $150.
Interesting, I bought mine off of Ebay from a retailer in Italy and it came to just over $100 shipped to the US.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I got my Windscreen off of E-Bay, and it took a few weeks, but even with extra $$$ in shipping, it was very reasonable. I have to look up what I spent, but it was close to $150.
Interesting, I bought mine off of Ebay from a retailer in Italy and it came to just over $100 shipped to the US.I also purchased off ebay from Italy and, with the higher shipping cost, it was only about $115 total.  Just wishing the weather would improve so I can give it a proper try.

Archived