FJ 09 in the AdventureMoto January, 2016 edition

docsimple

I reached out to our friends at ADVMoto and they were happy to let me share this article with you as long as it's properly attributed. So, I did not write this, they did!

llV51DI.jpg

zzbBpOG.jpg

YzCxGbW.jpg

j5b8Xmh.jpg
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I easily found 10-20% off coupons for a year of their digital editions. About $12 after discount. Well worth it support stuff many of us would find interesting!

Let me know if you have any issues viewing the images.

http://adventuremotorcycle.com/
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

If wishes were chocolate.... I would'nt care cuz I hate chocolate! I feel sure they will flog the poop out of this engine and frame. I ain't waitin on it though, I made my choiuce when I passed on the S10 and grabbed this ride. Tomorrow my engine guard/bashplate arrives. Boom! Adventure riding :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, gonna be a naysayer. This looks to be the two wheeled equivalent of what the US auto industry has done with four wheel drive vehicles. Turned them into station wagons with four wheel drive. Yeah, at first quick glance, they "kinda" look macho, but then take a second look. No ground clearance, no suspension travel, a large number of the parts that don't want contact with water are way down low in the puddle range. Riding on the footpegs on an FJ for any distance is just freaking terrifying. Notice the demo model above still has street tires and only dust on it. Street tires on a gravel road? Good luck. There is no mud on this bike, was that to keep it pretty for the pics? If you wanna play with the big kids and get your bike dirty, this won't do it. If you want to look the part without the risk of getting your bike scratched while going to the local coffee shop, this may be just your ticket. I belong to that last "con" group as well, in the sake of disclosure.

Sorry, gonna be a naysayer. This looks to be the two wheeled equivalent of what the US auto industry has done with four wheel drive vehicles. Turned them into station wagons with four wheel drive. Yeah, at first quick glance, they "kinda" look macho, but then take a second look. No ground clearance, no suspension travel, a large number of the parts that don't want contact with water are way down low in the puddle range. Riding on the footpegs on an FJ for any distance is just freaking terrifying. Notice the demo model above still has street tires and only dust on it. Street tires on a gravel road? Good luck. There is no mud on this bike, was that to keep it pretty for the pics? If you wanna play with the big kids and get your bike dirty, this won't do it. If you want to look the part without the risk of getting your bike scratched while going to the local coffee shop, this may be just your ticket. I belong to that last "con" group as well, in the sake of disclosure.

[br 

Actually it's no different to owning a sports bike and never taking it on a race track.......

Last true "enduro" I had was a KTM 630 RXCe. Great off road, and not bad on the street. With Dunlop 606's (I think that's the model.) they are DOT knobbies, and will handle slabbing for a few hours, but wear out pretty quick if you ride on the street, and do pretty well on most dirt roads, trails and even some very technical dirt bike trails a few times.

The thing is, after many years of having KTM Adventure bikes, riding DRZ's both enduro and the very nice for the street DRZ SM that my brother had, I realized as I got into my 40's that I really did not like riding dirt much anymore. Fire roads, back roads fine, but trail riding was no more fun, and I had the most fun on paved roads.

So, was going to get a KTM 990 SM, but at nearly 14k, that was eclipsed when I took a test ride on a 2006 FZ1 after riding my brothers "new" ride, a Z1000 of the same year. The power, smooth ride and power was intoxicating after years of well rounded bikes that would do it all, but did nothing best.

I'm sure the low oil pan of the FJ09 is not going to let you get really technical on this bike. However mounting a skid plate to to the very stout stock exhaust can looks pretty easy. Drill small holes, and use self tapping screws to mount a skid plate that runs up over the the pan, a low profile oil drain plug, or on the new pan, it's just flat, so you run the skid plate to protect the pan. If you really worried about impacts, you could run two supports up to the engine, and bolt them to the cases, or block at some very easy to access points. (And if you have skid/crash protection like I do from T-Rex, then you have a few mounting options that would spread out impact forces really well.)

Dual sport tires are available if you think you are really going to ride off road much, or slow down, and the stock tires have handled the short gravel/dirt graded farm roads I've tried so far.

Is the FJ09 a KTM 990 Adventure? Nope, but it's not 16,000.00 for the basic bike either. And for 99% of the places most of the "ADV" riders I know here in Idaho go, the FJ09 is going to be smoother, fast and comfortable anywhere it's paved.

Just my .02 cents, but that's a great article. Makes me want to go check out some fire roads this summer looking for gold, but just mostly having a great time enjoying this bike while getting there.

Archived