Parabellum Windscreen

BVEBRAD

After much research and many hours spent reading through the forums I finally decided on the Parabellum windscreen. I'll get right to the point, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. 
First let me provide some facts that you may find useful, I'm 60 years old, 6'1" and weigh 250 pounds.  My inseam is 30" when I buy jeans.  I ride with my stock seat (next thing to be replaced) in the lowest position and my windscreen in the highest setting. My main complaint with the stock windscreen was the "cockpit noise" it created. I found it to be totally unacceptable. I actually thought the stock screen provided adequet wind protection. 
I found Parabellum's customer service to be excellent.  I ended up getting the "Tall" (26") windscreen. I ordered it via phone Monday afternoon and had it by Thursday morning.  That was using their basic shipping.  I live in Delaware and they are out of Georgia.  Brenda, who I spoke with was fantastic.  I purchased the item using 4 gift cards and she was very patient and helpful during the ordering process.  Installation was dirt simple.  The only thing I believe Parabellum should add to their documentation is to keep the rubber grommets which the bolts pass through on the bike.  I was able to determine this by looking at the picture they provided but it should have been noted somewhere. 
The hardware Parabellum provides includes 8 "Aztec" washers, 4 large and 4 small.  The finish on these is raw aluminum therefore silver and shiny.  I strongly recommend spray painting these "flat black" before installing them.  I used Rustoleums Flat Black 2 in 1 paint/primer. This makes the install much more aesthetically pleasing and factory like. 
Riding behind the fairing is a real treat, the "cockpit noise" that I found so annoying is COMPLETELY gone.  The wind protection is exceptional.  The handlebars go all the way over each direction WITHOUT hitting the windscreen.  It is very close but they do not hit.  I normally sit somewhat slouched over and I still was looking well over the windshield, not through it. In case you're wondering my helmet is an old "Nitro Racing" full face helmet, nothing special.  I can now comfortably ride with my shield up (sunglasses on of course) and enjoy it.  I may remove the shield once the weather gets warmer, it's that nice.  I noticed no distortion while looking through the windscreen.  I did find the windscreen flexes a fair amount at times but nothing I am concerned with.  After a while I didn't even notice it.  I've read where some say the windscreen is "fugly" on the bike but I personally like the appearance, it DOES NOT take away from the looks of the bike.  In closing, I highly recommend the Parabellum windscreen if you're in the market for one.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I just ordered mine as well based on feedback posted on the forum.

I got the 24" version and I am looking forward to it arriving even though
it will be a couple months before I can get the bike on the road (still ice/snow here in northern BC, Canada)

Glad your enjoying it!!

Thanks for the feedback Brad.

A screen is still something I need to sort out and feedback like this is of great assistance.

• Like 1

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I got the 24" screen and put it on last night. Took a short test ride and it appears the noise of the stock screen may be gone!

I noticed that the parabellum does not contact the higher stock braces with the rubber bumpers. Has anyone tried to fill that space with another rubber grommet ? The thickness of the parabellum may make the lack of contact a moot point. Just curious as to anyone's thoughts before I get in the 100mph range.

Thanks, Dan

I got the 24" screen and put it on last night. Took a short test ride and it appears the noise of the stock screen may be gone!  
I noticed that the parabellum does not contact the higher stock braces with the rubber bumpers. Has anyone tried to fill that space with another rubber grommet ? The thickness of the parabellum may make the lack of contact a moot point. Just curious as to anyone's thoughts before I get in the 100mph range.

Thanks, Dan
The Parabellum should have shipped with 2 replacement grommets that are thicker.  If they were not in the box, I'd contact them (I have 2 of their shields and both shipped with 2 thicker grommets for that purpose)

Thanks, Dan

Thanks, I will call them. I misplaced my first set of fasteners so I re-ordered but it arrived without any extras. I am sure I can rig something up.

But on another note, it looks like the windshield can be adjusted to tilt back but I am not sure and nobody has mentioned it that I have seen.

I'm going for a ride to check it out...it is Sunday. I can always work on it during the week!

BTW I put the Ohlins fork 30mm internals and the Ohlins rear shock from pro-pilot suspension's Jim Kapitan. Wow what a difference. It was $1,800 shipped and set up for 220lbs (yes, Im an old motocrosser that still likes his beer!) and it feels well planted  and I have not even tried new settings yet. I bought the bike used from a dealer out of WI with almost 7k miles with heated grips, bags, LEDs mounted on the lower forks. So I splurged on the suspension and installed Ohlins. The rear shock rear nut was a pain.But is you take off the rear fender and right side passenger peg mount, you can get in there with a shorty wrench. Of course it took me 3 hours and several beers to figure that out!

I ride a KTM 525 EXC that I love. Had a 2006 Multistrada 1000DS (Ohlins) and never felt as good as the FJ 09. Maybe its the triple that almost feels like a two-stroke sometimes. Maybe its the lighter weight. But I sure like the FJ!

Sorry about the double reply post.  

I'm surprised to hear you say the screen wasn't fitting properly.  Mine fit perfectly and makes contact everywhere it should.  I've had it to 105 mph (on a closed road of course ) with no issues whatsoever.  I'm assuming you installed the large rubber stops at the top of the bracket.  You had to remove the small rubber plugs where the stock screen sat against then install the large rubber stops in their place.  Aside from the up and down movement the windscreen SHOULD NOT adjust any other way.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Earlier on I went through the windscreen threads and decided on the Parabellum tall screen also. The Vstream had not come out yet and it sounded like the best deal as they included the flyscreen as well.  Everyone is different but, I really didn't like riding this bike with the stock screen - too loud and so much buffeting...I felt like they put zero effort into testing that thing.  Instead they just threw it on because of how it looked or something.  I had a few rides with the flyscreen and it was better then the stocker but, still windy and loud.  As things stand now the tall Parabellum is the only screen I want on this bike for most rides, it knocks down 80% of the wind and noise, I can ride with my face shield up and can actually hear the engine and what's going around me.  It's stable at speed and inspires confidence.  The only draw back to me is it's huge and I'm not thrilled on how it looks but, I think the way the bike is designed this is the trade-off I'll have to make.  Do I care more about how it looks or how it feels when I'm riding?  Not really a choice in the grand scheme.  Parabellum did a great job with the packaging, shipping, solid directions and all the pieces I needed - great product.      

The only draw back to me is it's huge and I'm not thrilled on how it looks but, I think the way the bike is designed this is the trade-off I'll have to make.    
Does your bike have side cases? I think the screen looks funny on a bike without them for some reaso. I guess the cases make it feel more touring ish..lol

20150704_080103_zpswaxcfymi.jpg
20150704_080247_zpsz9vsooen.jpg

Side cases are my next purchase.  I've looked at a lot of them in great detail and I decided to go with the Shad SH36 bags.  They look pretty good on the bike and their 3 point mounting system is best I've seen aside from how Yamaha mounts their bags.  The Shad mounting system is very similar to Yamahas plus their SH36'S are 12 litres larger each bag.

I must say I Iike the look of the windscreen on the bike.  When I first got it out of the box I was concerned about how big it was but I think it looks OK, not near as nice as the stock screen looked but the trade off in noise elimination and wind protection is well worth it.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Side cases are my next purchase.  I've looked at a lot of them in great detail and I decided to go with the Shad SH36 bags.  They look pretty good on the bike and their 3 point mounting system is best I've seen aside from how Yamaha mounts their bags.  The Shad mounting system is very similar to Yamahas plus their SH36'S are 12 litres larger each bag. 
I must say I Iike the look of the windscreen on the bike.  When I first got it out of the box I was concerned about how big it was but I think it looks OK, not near as nice as the stock screen looked but the trade off in noise elimination and wind protection is well worth it.
I've had a pair of SH-36 on order for just about a month now through my dealer (they were giving me a discount for a month after buying the bike).  Supposedly they were to arrive in Florida this week, then be shipped to us - we'll see.  The bags are just too darn popular and fit a variety of bikes.  Just a word of caution, you might want to check with Shad before ordering. 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll certainly follow up on that.  Patience is not one of my virtues. The gentleman who responded to my email I sent them stated he would offer a 10% discount or a free set of inner soft bags. Once I'm ready to buy I'm hoping he will do a little better on the offer or give me both. Just waiting for my tax refund. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

The only draw back to me is it's huge and I'm not thrilled on how it looks but, I think the way the bike is designed this is the trade-off I'll have to make.    
Does your bike have side cases? I think the screen looks funny on a bike without them for some reaso. I guess the cases make it feel more touring ish..lol 
20150704_080103_zpswaxcfymi.jpg
20150704_080247_zpsz9vsooen.jpg

Nope, no side cases on mine.  It looks identical to yours w/o cases same color and all.  Your probably right it looks more balanced with cases.  If you want a sit up riding position I guess there is only so much you can do to block the wind - the taller the screen the more it's going to deflect.  I guess I wish it looked more seamless and integrated with all the plastic in the front.  I like how Honda made their front end look on the new African Twin (different kind of bike I know) but, even Cycle World has commented how well it pushes the wind aside.  It is what it is I guess...the 09 is still a great bike.