2015 / 2016 oil pans

Just came back from The Toronto Motorcycle Show... and it will take a bit for my grin to subside... I felt like a child in a candy store. My 10yo. daughter rode a bike for the first time (Yamaha Ride Academy), all by herself... and she did awesome. My wife and I were so excited she did well and liked it. My daughter rode pillion with me since she was 8, but this was the first ride by herself. Anyhow, that isn't the reason for the post, but couldn't help but share. 
I am inquiring whether the 2015 and 2016 FJ-09 oil pans are interchangeable. I am tempted to scoop up a 2015 model with the down facing drain plug, and replacing just the oil pan for the one with the rear facing plug. A brand new 2015 would save me some $1,000 in cash. Any thoughts?

When I purchased my '16 at the other Toronto motorcycle show (International Center) in January the difference was only $500. I went with the '16 because I liked the black model better, and the resale will be a bit better if/when trade-in time comes. I also typically don't buy first model year vehicles, but that's less of an issue with the FJ, since the FZ has been out a couple years. $1000 isn't chump change though...

The oil pans are interchangeable.

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member
The pans are 100% interchangeable. I just made the swap after cracking pan on a speed bump. I changed the pan and added the Higdonion cage and skid plate for insurance. I spent less than $150 for pan and gasket.

• Premium Member
I'm at Fun Bike Center near San Diego getting a new rear tire put on (6500 miles on the original). They have a 2016 Black FJ-09 on the floor with the new design oil pan. I spoke with the Parts Dept and they didn't know anything about any issues with the old oil pan design (neither did the sales person I spoke with). When asked how they would deal with the issue of a cracked oil pan, they said it would depend on the circumstances as to how they would handle it. Diplomatic but certainly not a promise of anything. They also have a 2015 FJ on the floor with, naturally, the old design oil pan.

Just found out today that my new '16 has the old style oil pan. :( I asked my salesguy to make some calls, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyone get their dealer to absorb the cost of the swap before delivery? I asked for just the pan - I'll install it myself. I'll report back...

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

I don't know anything about the oil pans... but for what it's worth, if you're looking to buy a new 2015 FJ in Ontario, there were a few to be had on Kijiji about a month ago priced at $9500+HST at dealers in Sudbury and Ottawa if you're willing to make the drive to save an extra ~$500. Otherwise, you can ask about price matching at your local dealer. In my case they were willing to do it and I took delivery of a new grey 2015 FJ in Barrie just a few weeks ago for less than they were being advertised at the show. Just something to keep in mind.

Archived