Yamaha vs Shad top cases

Hi guys. I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha 50L and Shad 48/50L top cases. Both are available through the dealership, so I can roll them into the financing when I pick up my bike in two weeks.

The ability to fit two full face helmets is a must, and really is my only requirement. The Shad is more expensive. Both are available with back rests. Is the Shad more solid? Which one is more secure? I had a flimsy top case on my last bike, and it required little more than a tug to bust it open.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member
I don't know about the Yamaha case. I have the Shad SH48. Very secure and will fit 2 full-face helmets. Better looking than OEM, in my opinion. Of course, it uses a different key, but I have mine matched to my Shad side cases, so only one key for all 3 cases.

• Premium Member
Hi guys. I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha 50L and Shad 48/50L top cases. Both are available through the dealership, so I can roll them into the financing when I pick up my bike in two weeks. 
The ability to fit two full face helmets is a must, and really is my only requirement. The Shad is more expensive. Both are available with back rests. Is the Shad more solid? Which one is more secure? I had a flimsy top case on my last bike, and it required little more than a tug to bust it open.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark.

I have both the Shad 33 and Yamaha 39L top cases. The Yamaha seems to be a higher quality product, but you can't go wrong with either. The Yamaha mounting plate integrates better into the lines of the grab rails and I've got both side cases and top case keyed to the ignition, which you can't do with the Shad. SHAD_SH_33.jpg34B-F84A8-00-00-39l-top-case-city-studio-001.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I have the 50L Yamaha, with the back pad and really like it. 2 helmets fit fine. I have it, and my FJR side cases, which coincidentally can each hold a helmet themselves, all keyed to the ignition. One key for the whole bike and if I ever became a helmet salesman, I could carry 4 with me at one time.

• 3 weeks later...
I've put the shad 48 on my grey tracer. I also went for the carbon effect top trim to the case. It matches the bike perfectly

I'm not sure what the weight limit is for the yam box?, but for the shad its 10kg, which is as good as it gets 9as far as I am aware)

Really a personal choice, but I don't regret the shad, it really suits the bikes lines.

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I don't have either, but have looked into both. I'm sure the Yamaha cases are a nice product, but at $1500 for all 3 cases and mounting equipment, it's simply to pricey. That's why when the time comes, I will be getting a set of Shads.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Oooh look  a carbon copy of my own bike!  Can't see for sure, but do you have the carbon top on your Shad?  cos that really is a match made in heaven.  :)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I just got the Shad SH-39 mainly because I didn't want to feel like a UFO was following me. I had a Buell Ulysses which has a 38-40 liter top case as the factory luggage which I found to be of adequate size. I too was too cheap to pay the extra $35 for the carbon insert but low and behold, when I opened the box, there was the carbon with a sticker saying "Free carbon promo" or something to that effect. Score! Love the case and like yours, l think a perfect match. $300 shipped including brackets. Took 10 minutes to install. b01f05f9801106fafc0a9421b74c6b7e.jpg

I know I've done it to my own...but really top boxes are ugly..even my extremely good looking shad is a monstrosity imho.

However, they really are mega convenient, and far narrower for filtering in heavy traffic.

Archived