Yamaha vs Shad top cases

Hi guys. I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha 50L and Shad 48/50L top cases. Both are available through the dealership....
I chose Shad because I wanted the whole set, side cases and the top case (SH36/48). Yamaha was way more money for the whole set, and the side cases look somewhat pedestrian IMHO. I too rolled the set into financing... figured that unless I get it now, I'd be too cheap to do it later. I am hoping to use the top case to haul my laptop bag back and forth to the office. I want to commute.
I ended up choosing the Shad 48L top case with backrest.  I think it looks more sleek/lower, and suits the look I'm aiming for with my bike.  I modified the Shad mounting plate to bolt directly to the Yamaha rear carrier (without the Yamaha adapter plate).  I like the look of the Yamaha mount, but prefer the Shad plate, so I mixed n' matched.  

Mark.
'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Very informative thread! Does anyone have pics of the Yamaha top box mounted for comparison? How do your passengers like the back rests (for Yammie and Shad)?
Here are a few of the Yamaha 50L top case. I haven't taken my wife out on it yet so I'm not sure how comfortable the pad will be. I went back and forth trying to decide between the Yamaha, Shad or Givi cases. In the end I decided on the Yamaha mainly because it matched the side cases the best. I'm very happy with my decision! The case is good quality and I like the fact that the keys match with the side cases. I also got a very good deal through www.yocracing.com with very reasonable shipping costs, something like $23 to ship the top case, rear rack and backrest. If you decide to go through them use coupon code "Time To Ride" to save a few extra dollars. 
20160315-152447.jpg
20160315-152541.jpg
FJ-09_60s_plate.jpg

Very informative thread! Does anyone have pics of the Yamaha top box mounted for comparison? How do your passengers like the back rests (for Yammie and Shad)?
Here are a few of the Yamaha 50L top case. I haven't taken my wife out on it yet so I'm not sure how comfortable the pad will be. I went back and forth trying to decide between the Yamaha, Shad or Givi cases. In the end I decided on the Yamaha mainly because it matched the side cases the best. I'm very happy with my decision! The case is good quality and I like the fact that the keys match with the side cases. I also got a very good deal through www.yocracing.com with very reasonable shipping costs, something like $23 to ship the top case, rear rack and backrest. If you decide to go through them use coupon code "Time To Ride" to save a few extra dollars. 
20160315-152447.jpg
20160315-152541.jpg
FJ-09_60s_plate.jpg

Thanks for showing us your OEM setup, and for the discount code! 
Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/3137/yamaha-shad-top-cases?page=2#ixzz44ILoy880

• 1 year later...

Archived