Metzeler Roadtec 01's

• Premium Member
As Metzeler is owned by Pirelli I imagine the technology is very similar to the GT.

Was there any price differential?

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Well I didn't know that Metzeler were owned by Pirelli!

Price wise, they are on a par with PR4's......£255 fitted!  Was going to go for PR4's because of all the good reviews I've read, but the guy at the tyre shop said I wouldn't be disappointed and should give them a go.  I'm all for trying new things, so watch this space......

They have been getting decent reviews:
http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/metzeler-roadtec-01-test/

"Looking to up their game in the sport touring market, Metzeler have released the new Roadtec 01 for 2016.

Taking over from the Roadtec Z8 Interact at the top of their sport touring range, the new tyre promises more mileage and better wet grip, as you’ll have come to expect by now.

In their January 13th edition, MCN’s Michael Neeves gives his initial verdict on the new Metzeler offering:

“We tested the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 rubber at Pirelli’s wet-weather circuit in Vizzola, Milan on a Honda CB1000R, in single-figure temperatures” explains Michael.

“The tight 0.62 mile track features different grades of tarmac to simulate high and low-grip surfaces and deep puddled sections to test how a tyre deals with aquaplaning. What impressed us both is how much grip and confidence they gave and how they clung to drenched tarmac. In a straight line I had to be ruthless with the front brake to get our test bike’s ABS to kick-in, and brutal on the throttle to make the rear tyre spin. It takes a while to get your head around the amount of grip you have and how much solid wet-weather lean it allows.”

The new Roadtec 01 comes in a wide range of sizes, with additional ‘HWM’ marked tyres designed for use on heavy weight motorcycles which place different kinds of stresses on their tyres.

To test claims of improved mileage MCN will be fitting a pair to one of their long-termers this year, and we’ll keep you updated on how they get along!"

OK, so here's my initial impression of the M R 01's in cold dry conditions:

- They warm up quickly (quicker than the P GT Angel's!), which is good;
- The turn in is more nuetral than the GT's and suits my riding style better than the GT's;
- Grip seems better than the GT's, as I have far more confidence leaning the bike itno corners;

The acid test will be performance in the wet, which the M R 01's make a big sell on being good at.

Watch this space.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
So I mounted Roadtec O1's and just got back from their first ride. Conditions here were awesome (for mid March on the California coast) - 60F to 66F, with some fog and low cloud, a bit breezy but dry roads. Clean and dry even in the normally damp ones. (Which is wierd because we got 15 inches of rain last weekend - thought the hills would still be weeping water onto the roads)

After getting used to having a round rear again, I got down to the business of putting my license at risk. Wow, the tires are great! Great feel, neutral steering, tons of grip under heavy braking (both straight up and while initiating a turn), they track corners well, no signs of cold tearing, just nothing to complain about in any way. Are they better than the Roadsmart 2's? Can't say yet. Hwy 1 is super fun, but not a road you can test ultimate traction on, so my guess is your favorite modern tire (if brand new) would have done well today too. What I can say is there is no reason to not consider it for dry conditions.

One interesting thing is the installer commented on how light the tires were compared to the Roadsmart's. Could I tell the difference? No, not with our 5 foot wide handle bar providing near infinite leverage. ;>)

I will update this thread if I (unfortunately) get caught out in the rain.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 2 months later...
I would try the roadtec 01s. The grip has been quite excellent, and even better in the wet! I feel the same or increased levels of traction on the same roads. The wet is better than pr4s maybe, though it's been a while since I have ridden those. Probably have done around 500 miles on them.

And I picked up a nail or something in the rear yesterday at work. &/$9$!! Quite the bummer when that happens late in the day and everyone else has left and there is no way to get home other than to call your wife for a ride of shame :P. Bah. Left bike at work. Don't have time to fix it until tuesday /sob.

• Premium Member
I would try the roadtec 01s. The grip has been quite excellent, and even better in the wet! I feel the same or increased levels of traction on the same roads. The wet is better than pr4s maybe, though it's been a while since I have ridden those. Probably have done around 500 miles on them.  
And I picked up a nail or something in the rear yesterday at work. &/$9$!! Quite the bummer when that happens late in the day and everyone else has left and there is no way to get home other than to call your wife for a ride of shame :P. Bah. Left bike at work. Don't have time to fix it until tuesday /sob.
I carry an aerosol of Wynn's Tyrefix or similar. Works really well, even for the rest of the tyre's life in 2 occasions. Ignore any bollocks about never getting the tyre to seal again. The rim never has any gloop on it - it all gets flung onto the tyre as you ride along, then sets with the heat cycle. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I carry an aerosol of Wynn's Tyrefix or similar. Works really well, even for the rest of the tyre's life in 2 occasions. Ignore any bollocks about never getting the tyre to seal again. The rim never has any gloop on it - it all gets flung onto the tyre as you ride along, then sets with the heat cycle. 
Thanks Wessie for that info. Didn't know about that one. 

• Premium Member
Roadtec 01 update - Just road 1069 miles this weekend (over 3 days) on super twisty roads (Cal hwy's 128, 1, 36 and 96) and fast, but twisty freeways (101 leading to the Redwoods and I-5 between Yreka and Redding) with many hours of rain and the tires were AWESOME! Temps ranged from 46F to 65F. Mostly gray skies the rest of the time with temps hovering in the 50's (Friday) warming to low 60's Sunday. Grip is excellent!

On 36 and 96 the rains were light, but constant for 30 minute stretches and the tires were perfect. I felt glued to the tarmac at all times. Coming down I-5 the rains were heavy, speeds high and the traffic heavy. I had to hit the brakes hard when a cager drifted into my space and no drama at all. Just instant deceleration without any moving around.

I'd like to state for the record I don't have much rain riding experience compared to people from wetter places, but I felt really comfortable riding at a good clip.

Later in this trip they did 40 miles of dirt riding (not planned, but hey go with it) and they did well on dirt roads too. I do want to emphasize that they were dirt roads, not dirt tracks or anything you see in ADV ads.

I am absolutely loving these tires and think everyone should consider them. Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived