The Perfect FJ-09

Yes 9k with everything. We don't have sales tax in here. 
Well, i forgot tags. That was like 2-300. I dont consider that part of the bike though. Thats to the state for a vehicle tag.
Either way a good deal! 
Shaft drive would change the dynamics of the bike significantly and I feel should be left to the FJR. But it would have been nice to see a touring package for a slightly higher price that included cruise, heated grips and the same Yamaha branded soft saddlebags that Yamaha in Canada was offering buyers for FREE (for a limited time).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Mazda Miata with a V8 sounds like fun to me.  When I picture that the name Carroll Shelby comes to mind.  That concept seemed to work out pretty good.  The FJ is my favorite bike I've ever owned and this makes number 10.  I do love it, if only I could afford 2 bikes at a time. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
Better stock suspension and a real windscreen instead of what it came with and it would have been the deal of the century.
I am very happy with my bike after lots of mods - but it is now a $13k bike, not 10.5.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I am very happy with my bike after lots of mods - but it is now a $13k bike, not 10.5. Cheers
Same here, after suspension and flash it is a 12.5 K bike and I am dying to do the exhaust.
Just don't want to spend a 1000 for sound.....

But it is quickly coming to the top of my all time best bike I have owned.....  :D .
RC

I am very happy with my bike after lots of mods - but it is now a $13k bike, not 10.5. Cheers
Same here, after suspension and flash it is a 12.5 K bike and I am dying to do the exhaust. Just don't want to spend a 1000 for sound.....

But it is quickly coming to the top of my all time best bike I have owned.....  :D .
RC
Seems to me that Yamaha hit the nail on the head.  They produced a bike that is really exceptional.  For those that want it just the way it is, it is a low cost SJM with abs and TC.  For those that want better suspension, windshield, seat, exhaust and etc. they can go out and buy those items to custom make the bike fit how ever they want to ride it.  Some like it naked, without bags and top cases, large windshields, noisy exhausts.  Some, like me, like the perfect throttle response I got, sorry some of you have trouble with this, but that is the way it goes.  I also like it the way it came and I do a lot of miles.  I believe most people do not put after market suspension, exhaust, seats or windshields on their bike, so most of you that are wanting more from the stock, are a minority.  Enjoy that there are so many option to upgrade your bike with, and it has only been out for a little over a year.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Ummm...Yamaha makes the bike you are describing to a "T"...when the FJ-09 grows up and gets a little hair on it's chest it looks like this... 
PA255114_zpsypo3rdph.jpg

More hair and 200 more lbs! I think an FJR900 or FJ-09 'touring' variant would sell well.

"I would love to see Yamaha come out with a version the included shaft drive, cruise control, better seating, improved windscreens and standard luggage and heated grips."

I see nothing proposed here that would maintain or reduce weight not maintain or reduce costs. Shaft drive alone would add 40-50lbs. You could use space age materials, that drives up the cost. We all strive for the unicorn bike...but like unicorns, they do not seem to exist...I have never seen one and therefor they may exist, I am going to go with what is asked for is unobtanium.
I think what is displayed here is a touring variant of the FJ-09. Parts are available from Yamaha, perhaps they could offer a model with them preinstalled. I will admit the motorcycle manufacturers have not done a good job on customization from the factory. But all the parts are there, comfort seat, luggage rack, saddlebags, touring windscreen. All that is missing from the factory is the CC. But as you see all over here, what people want varies. The aftermarket provides all sorts of goodies to adjust our rides to our own individual tastes.
Not picking a fight...just making several fact based observations.

"I would love to see Yamaha come out with a version the included shaft drive, cruise control, better seating, improved windscreens and standard luggage and heated grips." 
I see nothing proposed here that would maintain or reduce weight not maintain or reduce costs. Shaft drive alone would add 40-50lbs. You could use space age materials, that drives up the cost. We all strive for the unicorn bike...but like unicorns, they do not seem to exist...I have never seen one and therefor they may exist, I am going to go with what is asked for is unobtanium.
I think what is displayed here is a touring variant of the FJ-09. Parts are available from Yamaha, perhaps they could offer a model with them preinstalled. I will admit the motorcycle manufacturers have not done a good job on customization from the factory. But all the parts are there, comfort seat, luggage rack, saddlebags, touring windscreen. All that is missing from the factory is the CC. But as you see all over here, what people want varies. The aftermarket provides all sorts of goodies to adjust our rides to our own individual tastes.
Not picking a fight...just making several fact based observations.

Not really into shaft drives but my mind was a thinking.
How about a shaft drive that was made out of aluminum and carbon fiber? That would save weight and look bad a$$. Just a thought.

I wish Yamaha had spent more time on suspension tuning. The stock suspension could be so much better with only a small additional cost.

There is a touring package now, but the parts are sold individually so you can mix and match as needed.

• Premium Member
A Mazda Miata with a V8 sounds like fun to me.  When I picture that the name Carroll Shelby comes to mind.  That concept seemed to work out pretty good.  The FJ is my favorite bike I've ever owned and this makes number 10.  I do love it, if only I could afford 2 bikes at a time. 
Google "Monster Miata". 
There is a conversion kit for the first gen Miata that swaps in a Ford 5.0L. 

With regards to the FJ-09....

I think a belt drive would be a good "touring" upgrade to the chain, that would not break the bank or add an excessive amount of weight.

It's clear that the only "tuning" they did on it was figuring out just how cheaply they could make it. 

From everything I've read it's a major improvement over the FZ09... that bike's suspension must be really awful.
They did add some adjustments and changed the spring rates and damping. So it's sad that they did a half-assed job when they could have done it better.

• Premium Member
I have to agree with RedFJNiner - they created a great bike, at an awesome price, that will satisfy most. I looked for 3 years and this was the first bike (at a reasonable price) that didn't have something wrong I could not fix. I wanted a comfortable sportbike - and now I have one. As an ex AFM racer I am not hesitant to change suspension, brakes, etc. Easy and not that hard on the wallet. But, an excess of weight or low power to weight ratio (VFR), or a 19" front for dirt roads I will never take - these are hard, expensive problems to solve.
I love triples (have owned 4 now) like 17 inch rims and tons of tire choices and have become a big fan of ride-by-wire and ABS.
Won't lie, solving the windscreen issue was a serious pain in the keister.

Love my Yamaha and can't wait to head out for the next multi-day ride.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived