The Perfect FJ-09

• Premium Member
I think cruise control and a better stock windshield are two reasonable upgrades that Yamaha could make without fundamentally changing the FJ.

I'm on record as loving shaft drive. But I love a 475lbs sport touring bike even more!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to agree with RedFJNiner - they created a great bike, at an awesome price, that will satisfy most. I looked for 3 years and this was the first bike (at a reasonable price) that didn't have something wrong I could not fix. I wanted a comfortable sportbike - and now I have one. As an ex AFM racer I am not hesitant to change suspension, brakes, etc. Easy and not that hard on the wallet. But, an excess of weight or low power to weight ratio (VFR), or a 19" front for dirt roads I will never take - these are hard, expensive problems to solve. I love triples (have owned 4 now) like 17 inch rims and tons of tire choices and have become a big fan of ride-by-wire and ABS.
Won't lie, solving the windscreen issue was a serious pain in the keister.

Love my Yamaha and can't wait to head out for the next multi-day ride.

Cheers
What was your final windshield choice (and thread)?

• Premium Member
I am using a Parabellum Flyscreen with a Puig Clip On adjustable deflector.  The Flyscreen is super rigid, so there is no vibration or buffeting at all with the clip on deflector.  I don't even notice it when riding.  It doesn't intrude into the main part of my field of view.  I never made a unique forum post about it, but did comment on various windscreen posts (search under Parabellum).  For reference I am about 5'9" but have a 29" inseam.  This combo gives two distinct but low force wind streams - one at the chin and one just above the visor.  This is great!  No neck fatique, I can crack the visor in the rain to reduce fogging and not get wet  glasses.  I also have the flyscreen in the high position.  Hope this helps.  Cheers 4381670.jpg

4381673.jpg

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I am using a Parabellum Flyscreen with a Puig Clip adjustable deflector.  The Flyscreen is super rigid, so there is no vibration or buffeting at all with the clip on deflector.  I don't even notice it when riding.  It doesn't intrude into the main part of my field of view.  I never made a unique forum post about it, but did comment on various windscreen posts (search under Parabellum).  For reference I am about 5'9" but have a 29" inseam.  This combo gives two distinct but low force wind streams - one at the chin and one just above the visor.  This is great!  No neck fatique, I can crack the visor in the rain to reduce fogging and not get wet  glasses.  I also have the flyscreen in the high position.  Hope this helps.  Cheers 

Awesome info and photos - thanks mate!

• Premium Member
I'd like to add:

It would also be cool for some of the fancy electronics to trickle down from the R1: cornering ABS, multiple traction control modes, and of course wheelie control. The current wheelie-killing TC is kind of a bummer.

• 2 months later...
I am using a Parabellum Flyscreen with a Puig Clip On adjustable deflector.  The Flyscreen is super rigid, so there is no vibration or buffeting at all with the clip on deflector.  I don't even notice it when riding.  It doesn't intrude into the main part of my field of view.  I never made a unique forum post about it, but did comment on various windscreen posts (search under Parabellum).  For reference I am about 5'9" but have a 29" inseam.  This combo gives two distinct but low force wind streams - one at the chin and one just above the visor.  This is great!  No neck fatique, I can crack the visor in the rain to reduce fogging and not get wet  glasses.  I also have the flyscreen in the high position.  Hope this helps.  Cheers 

Can you comment on the wind noise with this setup?  I have the large Parabellum (24") and it works pretty well but something with a little more airflow for the hot summer months here in Albuquerque would be great. 
-Steve

• Premium Member
I am using a Parabellum Flyscreen with a Puig Clip On adjustable deflector.  The Flyscreen is super rigid, so there is no vibration or buffeting at all with the clip on deflector.  I don't even notice it when riding.  It doesn't intrude into the main part of my field of view.  I never made a unique forum post about it, but did comment on various windscreen posts (search under Parabellum).  For reference I am about 5'9" but have a 29" inseam.  This combo gives two distinct but low force wind streams - one at the chin and one just above the visor.  This is great!  No neck fatique, I can crack the visor in the rain to reduce fogging and not get wet  glasses.  I also have the flyscreen in the high position.  Hope this helps.  Cheers 

Can you comment on the wind noise with this setup?  I have the large Parabellum (24") and it works pretty well but something with a little more airflow for the hot summer months here in Albuquerque would be great. 
-Steve
There is more wind noise than on my sportbike, but this set up is infinitely better than the stock screen or the large Parabellum screens for me.  I have the screen in the high position and the deflector straight out, parallel to the main screen.  I would say average to low noise - but this is the only faired 'sit-up-and-beg' bike I have had.  Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 3 weeks later...
I bought the FJ because of its basic platform that offered power, lightness and maneuverability.  Making the bike "yours" with customization has been invigorating and fun. I have added the OEM side and top cases, Madstad 24" windscreen, ECU flash, Akrapovic titanium exhaust, Corbin saddle, Traxxion forks, Penske rear shock, McCruise control, Scottoiler electronic chain lubricator, PIAA running lights on the front fork and LED accent lights in the top case for increased visibility to other motorists. The list can and will go on based on personal preference and budget. The bottom line is that the FJ has great bones. When I picked up the bike yesterday after the dealer installed the suspension upgrade he said after his test run that "this bike is so much fun to ride". Isn't that what it is all about?

• Premium Member
I bought the FJ because of its basic platform that offered power, lightness and maneuverability.  Making the bike "yours" with customization has been invigorating and fun. I have added the OEM side and top cases, Madstad 24" windscreen, ECU flash, Akrapovic titanium exhaust, Corbin saddle, Traxxion forks, Penske rear shock, McCruise control, Scottoiler electronic chain lubricator, PIAA running lights on the front fork and LED accent lights in the top case for increased visibility to other motorists. The list can and will go on based on personal preference and budget. The bottom line is that the FJ has great bones. When I picked up the bike yesterday after the dealer installed the suspension upgrade he said after his test run that "this bike is so much fun to ride". Isn't that what it is all about? 

Which Penske shock did you get? I'm considering changing the rear shock first and then later upgrading the front. I already enjoy the ride, but I'm also interested in seeing how much better it can become. I'll be looking forward to your review of your suspension changes.

• Premium Member

Which Penske shock did you get? I'm considering changing the rear shock first and then later upgrading the front. I already enjoy the ride, but I'm also interested in seeing how much better it can become. I'll be looking forward to your review of your suspension changes. I have the Penske 8983. I much prefer a shock with rebound and compression adjustments.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I got the Penkke 8393 with the component shock spring Hyperco 6 x 600. It all came through Traxxion Dynamics which dialed in all of the settings for my weight and riding style. After one day I can tell a noticeable difference in cornering and "plantedness". I bought the entire package which included the cartridge kit for the front forks.

Archived