Motorcycle Cruise Control review-The Aussie item

• Premium Member
I am an early adopter for this cruise control, and it was an easy decision for me to make. I live in central Oklahoma and for me to ride to any roads that have twisty bits requires at least 200 miles in any direction. My previous bike was a DL1000 V Strom which underwent many mods to get to a throttle control that was easy to live with. I started off with a Throttlemeister which worked fairly well and provided relief. Then, I graduated to the Rostra car cc, and all of the cutting and splicing that went with it. It worked fine until all of the brake light switches burnt out, and then the bike was locked in cc mode, and out of control-think trying to slow down for a curve using the front brake, and the cc  applying the accelerator. Had to hit the kill switch to get it to disengage. And, I attribute most of that failure to trying to adapt an auto cc to a motorcycle.
 I learned of the Motorcycle Cruise Control from a post on this forum, and contacted them indicating an interest in a unit for the FJ-09. They began development and sent me an e-mail saying they were ready to go. I purchased a unit and got the Forum discount. The unit arrived about a week later and I began installation. As an aside, I wear XL gloves...no surgeons hands here. The instructions are some of the most detailed I have ever received for an accessory install. The install stretched out over a  couple of months due to  unforeseen interruptions. The beauty of this is that I could pick up the install right where I left off without a hitch. MCC include some specialized tools to complete the install, and they are brilliant!  The tight work involving the throttle cables and the throttle position sensor is where they shine! i really like their solution with the Cable Interface Unit and the Throttle Servo. This is a mechanical connection, and as I understand it, if there is an electrical failure, the cruise control won't work, but the bike will remain operative.....you can ride it home to check it out, not be stranded beside the road. It is a complete "plug and play" installation, no wire cutting, no soldering, everything electrical just snaps into place. The control switches are weatherproof right out of the box, and only require mounting  on the  mirror mount. They are an easy reach and control, easier than the Rostra to use. And the unit works a treat. It is so worth it to me to be able to be able to maintain speed and reset my arm-wrist-hand position. It makes 6-700 mile days much more bearable.
This is a well thought out bit of engineering, and well worth the price. It costs less than most aftermarket exhaust systems, and actually does something useful if you ride any distance at all. If you don't ride long distances, with this unit installed, you might be encouraged to stretch your boundaries, and that's a good thing!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's their drive by wire unit (vs the mechanical one reviewed above). This kit can also use the FJR switch pod, which I found out about yesterday (different available harness than the Tenere). I happen to have bought an FJR switch from a forum member which I was going to hack apart and adapt to the FJ pod for a factory-like install of Cruizin's new cc, but the plug n play option to integrate that switch is mighty tempting. I emailed for their instructions, but even though it's plug and play it's still a pretty involved install. IIRC he sent out a couple of these kits to forum members to install. Any feedback yet guys? Window for ordering from the first batch of the cheaper option is closing soon.

Uh oh, I just saw on their home page that he was banned from this forum. That's peculiar...

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

I have one of the first SuperTen kits from them. Well built and designed. Will be totally hidden once the install is complete. Coming from the FJR I appreciate the factory controls, was the deciding factor for me. I have made all of my other mods using the factory connectors, I went so far as to buy the proper crimping tool so even my work looks as good as the work from Mama Yamaha. Plug and play with the same factory connections is attractive to me. Going into the bike in another week or so. It will be a couple of hour job at least, I have my fuze block and Pro-Oiler to install at the same time. The only deviation I am making is the location of the LED. I have made a billet bracket that will place the LED in line of sight of the gauges using the empty FZ bolt holes on the triple tree. Will make a day of it. Once my seat gets here and the snow melts I will be ready to ride.

Really?   
I just looked and didn't see anything about being banned.
Probably already updated it again. Competing with a board owner usually leads to drama http://fj-09.org/thread/3159/true-story-why-mccruise-longer
  Thread no longer exists.  I don't know the details but the guy had/has a solid product; I'm sure it will speak for itself, ban or not.  Good to know how things are run around here though.

He has a great product, he wasn't banned for competition or just for the heck of it. Board rules and warnings apply on any forum and I truly wish MCcruise well, no hard feelings at all. I will admit that the timing of his banning probably seems horrible but it was only a Violation of the rules and ignoring my warning not to do it again. That's all. I had a long thread up about it but took it down to be fair to mccruise. They make a phenomenal cruise control product and are a great company. But rules are rules and I enforce em.

I have one of the first SuperTen kits from them. Well built and designed. Will be totally hidden once the install is complete. Coming from the FJR I appreciate the factory controls, was the deciding factor for me. I have made all of my other mods using the factory connectors, I went so far as to buy the proper crimping tool so even my work looks as good as the work from Mama Yamaha. Plug and play with the same factory connections is attractive to me. Going into the bike in another week or so. It will be a couple of hour job at least, I have my fuze block and Pro-Oiler to install at the same time. The only deviation I am making is the location of the LED. I have made a billet bracket that will place the LED in line of sight of the gauges using the empty FZ bolt holes on the triple tree. Will make a day of it. Once my seat gets here and the snow melts I will be ready to ride.
Really looking forward to hearing all about it.  I like your idea for LED placement.

Probably already updated it again. Competing with a board owner usually leads to drama http://fj-09.org/thread/3159/true-story-why-mccruise-longer
  Thread no longer exists.  I don't know the details but the guy had/has a solid product; I'm sure it will speak for itself, ban or not.  Good to know how things are run around here though.

I went against the trend on this forum and ended up deciding to go with their plug n' play ride-by-wire kit (with optional FJR switch block harness). I wanted the install to look completely factory, without an add-on switch to ugly up the handlebar, and maintain the original integrity of the the bike's electrical harness. $546 USD, including harness with oem connectors, and custom FJR switch block harness. A bit pricey, but this is the single most important mod I'll make to the bike. My throttle wrist is destroyed, so I consider it a small price to pay for the ability to ride more than a half hour. Can't wait to install it!

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

I wish we could have a same bike/same rider test. I am running out of farkle money though and had to save the dough. Maybe one of the Northwet riders has the Aussie version and we could do a meet and compare....
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I think the results would be very, very close. The biggest difference will be the factory appearance of the SuperTen/FJR control sets. As I noted in an earlier post, my preference is plug and play with factory connectors. I spent about a hundred bucks for all the connectors, pins and the crimper to do the installation of all of my other electronic farkles. It's a personal preference.

He has a great product, he wasn't banned for competition or just for the heck of it. Board rules and warnings apply on any forum and I truly wish MCcruise well, no hard feelings at all. I will admit that the timing of his banning probably seems horrible but it was only a Violation of the rules and ignoring my warning not to do it again. That's all. I had a long thread up about it but took it down to be fair to mccruise. They make a phenomenal cruise control product and are a great company. But rules are rules and I enforce em.

I wanted to comment on this in the other thread but it was closed.
I totally understand why you band Mccruise but being a admin of this site and starting a business that takes away from a vendor to me is wrong and unethical. No hard feelings toward you but I just dont think that it was right to do that. If you werent a admin then I would understand.

I totally understand why you band Mccruise but being a admin of this site and starting a business that takes away from a vendor to me is wrong and unethical. No hard feelings toward you but I just dont think that it was right to do that. If you werent a admin then I would understand.
First off, I completely understand the feeling.  A little background though.  @Cruizin was put in a very, very tough spot.  McCruise was selling very low volume.  I know this because he was complaining about it in his section.  The first several months, he had sold less than a handful.  Forum members were clamoring for a more affordable option.  @Cruizin spent a lot of time trying to find a vendor that could deliver.  The closest thing he could find was Brandon Distributing, but they didn't have an online presence and had no plans to make one.  He has the skills to bridge that gap.  When he did so, he went way over the initial goal of 30 units in less than a week.  It's the product the forum members wanted.  The only way to deliver it was to have @Cruizin be the retailer for Brandon Distributing.  In reality, the vast majority of people that bought from @Cruizin were not planning on buying from McCruise because of the price.  @Cruizin was really targeting a different market segment than McCruise was willing to deliver to.  There were certainly some unfortunate events along the way and some things could have been handled differently by several parties involved but I think it was a learning experience as well for everyone. 
Basically, where we are at now, McCruise is gone.  @cruizin explained it better than I can as to why.  There's nothing anyone can do about what has happened.  We are all free to talk about McCruise products here as long as it's not in the vendor sections.  Let's just please, please, please put this event behind us, move on and start talking about the awesome bike we all ride.

• Premium Member

I think I might be stating the obvious as Cruizin does not hide the fact but some people forget, this forum is not a community group run as a co-operative, it is a business. Cruizin is no Mark Zuckerberg but I think he might aspire to be! I'm sure he would like the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Once you accept this is a commercial site and that the rules of commerce apply then it is easier to understand the situation. Commerce has ethics and one partner breached those ethics. Commerce also has economic rationality and one vendor may see an opportunity if another vendor has a good product but seems to be selling it at an unrealistic price. If your product is not selling then that will be for one of 2 reasons, either the quality is poor or the price is too high: this is entirely within the control of the vendor and it is no good moaning if sales are low as the market will set the price.

I don't think Cruizin is acting unethically in marketing his own products here, posting links with kickback codes, carrying advertisements etc as he does this in his own identity. As far as I know, he does not hide behind an alias to give the appearance of a community and then sneak things in. In this, his approach is no different to those old fashioned magazines we used to buy which carried "tyre tests" when you knew the results were skewed by how much advertising each maker bought.

I'm no apologist for cruizin and we have had a few disagreements over things in the past, always kept in the background, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he is unethical. He is very protective of his interests, like most people where their livelihood is concerned. Bear this in mind before suggesting there has been a conflict of interest.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived