Motorcycle Cruise Control review-The Aussie item

I still think this is unethical.  What if the forum members start "clamouring" for a cheaper ECU remap, or suspension, etc?  Does this then mean that the Admin can find someone to do it cheaper and start selling that as well? 
If your core business is running internet forums, and you start going into the parts business, in competition with your advertisers, that's not ethical.  No matter how you paint the "market segment" picture.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still think this is unethical.  What if the forum members start "clamouring" for a cheaper ECU remap, or suspension, etc?  Does this then mean that the Admin can find someone to do it cheaper and start selling that as well? 
If your core business is running internet forums, and you start going into the parts business, in competition with your advertisers, that's not ethical.  No matter how you paint the "market segment" picture.

Well, I thank you for your feedback. This certainly was a weird situation and I appreciate your concerns. Our other vendors are safe and they would probably tell you that I have turned away numerous suspension and ECU vendors because we are already so well covered and I believe in protecting our Vendors who are so loyal and good to us. This means that I have also turned away alot of advertising dollars.

I also called a couple of our vendors before making this move and asked their opinions.

Then, I also started a thread here on the forum asking if I should do this on January 27th. So far the response has been 12 pages and none of these concerns or negativity were raised. What I do have is six months of PM's from forum members asking me about affordable cruise control options and unfortunately, the members did not feel that Mccruise was that option.

I took a good amount of time thinking about this and asked alot of people for their opinions.

But thanks again for your helpful feedback.

Well, I thank you for your feedback. This certainly was a weird situation and I appreciate your concerns. Our other vendors are safe and they would probably tell you that I have turned away numerous suspension and ECU vendors because we are already so well covered and I believe in protecting our Vendors who are so loyal and good to us. This means that I have also turned away alot of advertising dollars. 
I also called a couple of our vendors before making this move and asked their opinions.

Then, I also started a thread here on the forum asking if I should do this on January 27th. So far the response has been 12 pages and none of these concerns or negativity were raised. What I do have is six months of PM's from forum members asking me about affordable cruise control options and unfortunately, the members did not feel that Mccruise was that option.

I took a good amount of time thinking about this and asked alot of people for their opinions.

But thanks again for your helpful feedback.

Thank you for adding some further explanation to the situation.  Although my opinion remains unchanged, I can understand the good intentions behind your decisions.  
I feel it would be counter-productive to continually rake this over the coals, and will post no further on the subject.

Whilst on the subject of feedback, I really enjoy this site, and long after this incident blows over, it will still be an excellent forum.

• 2 weeks later...
I also bought the Mccruise with the Super Tenere switchblock and had it installed a couple of weeks ago. I live in SW Florida where it is always riding weather.  Over 2 weekends of riding, I have put on about 150 miles and the unit worked flawlessly.  With the SuperTen  switchblock, everything looks factory.  Tony, one of the owners of the Motor Cycle Cruise company couldn't have been easier or more pleasant to deal with.  I'm not mechanically inclined, so I had the Yamaha dealer install the unit. Tony was nice enough to call the mechanic from Australia to make sure any questions about installation were answered. It is unfortunate to see his company banned from the site.  I would not lhave heard about the product had he not been a supporting vendor.  I am very happy with the poduct. 

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

FJ_09_Cruise.jpg

Installed the Throttle-by-wire cruise control from MC Cruise using their controls. Took me about 7 hours. Very detailed instructions. Works flawlessly. Tapping either brake disengages cruise.

Previously had a throttle lock that would not work with yamaha heated grips. Chose MC Cruise solution based on their commitment to safety/testing process.

• 2 months later...
New to the forum - traded a 1200GS for the FJ09 - lighter for a old guy & really like it. Had a Excel Throttle Control on it.
So, today - Tom (of Excel Throttle Control) is building a proto unit for the bike - he has units for other Yamahas, BMWs, etc - see the web page for info - this is proto due to the hand guard mods.
Will post pictures when complete.
dm

New to the forum - traded a 1200GS for the FJ09 - lighter for a old guy & really like it. Had a Excel Throttle Control on it. So, today - Tom (of Excel Throttle Control) is building a proto unit for the bike - he has units for other Yamahas, BMWs, etc - see the web page for info - this is proto due to the hand guard mods.
Will post pictures when complete.
dm
This is a throttle lock, not an actual cruise control? 

This is a mechanical device. It does not LOCK the throttle, it provides resistance enough to hold speed, but is adjustable when "on".
Go look at www.excelthrottlecontrol.com
Lots of proven users running with it on IB events.
Will make post a separate post with pics of the unit shortly.
Oh - and made in the USA.

This is a mechanical device. It does not LOCK the throttle, it provides resistance enough to hold speed, but is adjustable when "on". Go look at www.excelthrottlecontrol.com

That's the way I understand most throttle locks to work. I've seen as cheep as a bent clothes hanger that wraps snug around the throttle and rests on the brake lever that works surprisingly well. It certainly helps, but the friends I have that have used mechanical devices like this have complained that they have to constantly adjust when going up and down hills. These electronic cruise control devices work just like car cruise controllers that sense the speed of the vehicle and make all the micro adjustments to the throttle to keep the speed consistent. Set it and forget it. In fact, most of the ones sold for the FJ, including the McCruise, are car cruise control modules adapted to the FJ.

This is a mechanical device. It does not LOCK the throttle, it provides resistance enough to hold speed, but is adjustable when "on". Go look at www.excelthrottlecontrol.com

That's the way I understand most throttle locks to work. I've seen as cheep as a bent clothes hanger that wraps snug around the throttle and rests on the brake lever that works surprisingly well. It certainly helps, but the friends I have that have used mechanical devices like this have complained that they have to constantly adjust when going up and down hills. These electronic cruise control devices work just like car cruise controllers that sense the speed of the vehicle and make all the micro adjustments to the throttle to keep the speed consistent. Set it and forget it. In fact, most of the ones sold for the FJ, including the McCruise, are car cruise control modules adapted to the FJ.
All due respeck, guys, but surely when you consider how they work it's unreasonable to expect these mechanical devices NOT to require some throttle adjustment when riding up and down hills.   They are purely mechanical, not magical!   But as said, if you can accept how they work they certainly can be useful, but less so in hilly terrain and/ or where throttle and/ or brake inputs are necessary as with a frequently twisting road, and so on.   I have a deluxe (!) Go Cruise model on the way (that's the one with the threaded screw in the device to minimise throttle-creep), and from past experience it simply won't be used at all when the going gets hilly.   But on straight more-or-less flat territory, they can be a useful bit of kit. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I currently have the Kaoko throttle lock, which is very good.
In the past I've had a Vista and some other brand.

All are good for momentary relief, and annoying to try to use for more than a few minutes due to speed creep.

I'm seriously considering a McCruise for my next 5000km trip to the GP at Phillip Island.
At least 50 hours of throttle time, a lot of that on over-policed undulating straight Australian outback roads..

I've not had an electronic bike cruise before, but anticipate that I'll appreciate it after a few days in the saddle,
especially in the boring bits between mountain ranges.

The Kaoko was really good for holding the throttle whilst adjusting the high beam (the right hand knob) while riding.

I'm seriously considering a McCruise for my next 5000km trip to the GP at Phillip Island.
At least 50 hours of throttle time, a lot of that on over-policed undulating straight Australian outback roads..

I've not had an electronic bike cruise before, but anticipate that I'll appreciate it after a few days in the saddle,

5000km round-trip to Phillip Island - which roads are you taking?   And on that electronic cc, if my recent BMW experience (and its superb cc unit) is anything to go by, you'll appreciate it after a few minutes in the saddle (tho' having said that I know nothing of the McCruise device).

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I'm seriously considering a McCruise for my next 5000km trip to the GP at Phillip Island. At least 50 hours of throttle time, a lot of that on over-policed undulating straight Australian outback roads..

5000km round-trip to Phillip Island - which roads are you taking?   And on that electronic cc, if my recent BMW experience (and its superb cc unit) is anything to go by, you'll appreciate it after a few minutes in the saddle (tho' having said that I know nothing of the McCruise device).
I have been using the McCruise for about a year and a half, and I am a solid fan! My install was interrupted for a few months, but I picked up right where I left off and completed it. Some folks on the forum don't like the switch gear that is provided but it doesn't bother me at all. Works a treat, and has been flawless up til now! Highly recommended! 

I've only got 2 weeks, so some of the usual roads. Bruxner
Gwydir
Oxley
Putty
Snowy Mountains way
Upper Murray (Granya)
Black Spur
Reefton Spur
Omeo 
Brown Mountain
If I get time, the GO road to Lorne
etc.