UK Tracer - long term review and accessories review

johan

• Premium Member
I've had my Tracer for just under 11 months and I've put about 12,000 miles on it. I use it to commute from Kent to Canary Wharf (about 24 miles one way) in all seasons. On weekends, in the dryer and warmer months I'll take it for fun rides and I've done some short tours to Wales as well as a longer tour to France (Burgundy and Alsace) - thanks to Wessie who organised a brilliant itinerary. That trip really demonstrated the capabilities of this bike; it handled the longer distances (although the original seat was a pain in the backside) and it was fantastic on the Vosges mountain passes. Wessie organised a relaxed tour that gives the participants the freedom to ride at their own pace, but we did one memorable ride of the Route de Cretes Alsace that includes the Col Du Grand Ballon, famous for the Tour de France. The Tracer is the perfect bike for that kind ride.

I tried different accessories and modifications in the last year, some worked and some not so well. I know new owners are often looking for advice and thought I'd share my own subjective experience. As always, YMMV.

I ordered the bike with the UK options of heated grips, fog lights, and the Yamaha/SW Motech semi-rigid luggage.
[ul type=disc][*]The heated grips are a must have. I waited a long time for them but it was worth it. Recommended.[*]The fog lights are well made and professionally mounted, and though not a regret, I probably won't recommend them at the price.[*]The side cases fit nicely, they look good and are narrow. They are well made for what they are, but as they are not water proof they require the use of waterproof inner bags. Therein lies the problem, the inner bags are bulky and they lose functionality because of that. Not recommended (unless you want to buy my set)[/ul]

Eventually I fitted a Givi V47 top box to use on my commute (recommended) and a pair of Shad side cases (well made and very good value for money). Both Givi and Shad recommended.

I also purchased a Bagster/Baglux tank cover and two different tank bags from Bagster. The fit and quality is good, but the Tracer's tank is "short" and it slopes, so the larger bag interfered with my seating position (yes, I know, but I love beer) and the smaller one is shallow, so mounted on the sloping tank stuff would fall out every time I opened it. 

I have since swapped all that for a SW Motech Engage tank bag - highly recommended. They also manufacture the Yamaha branded bags, buy the SW Motech engage, unless you feel you want a large bag. And the SW Motech tank ring is better looking than the Yamaha one, it is essentially the same as the MT-09 ring but with a spacer between the bag and that bag mount to make room for the plastic trim on the tank.

Seat
I eventually got the Bagster Comfort Diva seat. I haven't used it on a long trip yet, but on a 45 minute trip it certainly feels much better than the original. Recommended.

Screen
Very subjective and I don't think anybody has achieved really good results improving the original. The original did not cause any unpleasant buffeting for me, at 5'8", but it is very noisy. I have now settled on a National Cycle V-Stream Sport/Touring (mid size) screen. It is much quieter than the original, but I have some buffeting. I tried the tall one from National Cycle first - it was too big and affected the bike's stability.

Auto oiler
I fitted a Tutoro. I modified it slightly with Scottoiler fittings on the delivery nozzle. The Tutoro is simple and it works. Recommended.

Satnav
I use a Garmin 390LM which I have hard wired to the battery. I fit it on a ram mount on the handlebar clamp. Recommended.

Suspension
I had Andreani cartridges fitted as well as a Nitron R2 shock. The combination got rid of the brake dive and improved ride quality. Somewhat surprisingly to me the biggest gain was in high speed stability. The front no longer feels too light and the rear does not squat under acceleration. Expensive, but to me a worthwhile upgrade. I'll recommend it, but it is expensive and the standard suspension is not really terrible so if you think it is too expensive don't feel bad about not doing it. I do think that this modification has unlocked the full potential of the bike. I've only tested it over 50 miles but the improvement is instantly recognisable. 

I am looking forward to spring and summer, we have some nice rides planned.

• Premium Member
I've had my Tracer for just under 11 months and I've put about 12,000 miles on it. I use it to commute from Kent to Canary Wharf (about 24 miles one way) in all seasons. On weekends, in the dryer and warmer months I'll take it for fun rides and I've done some short tours to Wales as well as a longer tour to France (Burgundy and Alsace) - thanks to Wessie who organised a brilliant itinerary. That trip really demonstrated the capabilities of this bike; it handled the longer distances (although the original seat was a pain in the backside) and it was fantastic on the Vosges mountain passes. Wessie organised a relaxed tour that gives the participants the freedom to ride at their own pace, but we did one memorable ride of the Route de Cretes Alsace that includes the Col Du Grand Ballon, famous for the Tour de France. The Tracer is the perfect bike for that kind ride. 
I tried different accessories and modifications in the last year, some worked and some not so well. I know new owners are often looking for advice and thought I'd share my own subjective experience. As always, YMMV.

I ordered the bike with the UK options of heated grips, fog lights, and the Yamaha/SW Motech semi-rigid luggage.
[ul type=disc][*]The heated grips are a must have. I waited a long time for them but it was worth it. Recommended.[*]The fog lights are well made and professionally mounted, and though not a regret, I probably won't recommend them at the price.[*]The side cases fit nicely, they look good and are narrow. They are well made for what they are, but as they are not water proof they require the use of waterproof inner bags. Therein lies the problem, the inner bags are bulky and they lose functionality because of that. Not recommended (unless you want to buy my set)[/ul]

Eventually I fitted a Givi V47 top box to use on my commute (recommended) and a pair of Shad side cases (well made and very good value for money). Both Givi and Shad recommended.

I also purchased a Bagster/Baglux tank cover and two different tank bags from Bagster. The fit and quality is good, but the Tracer's tank is "short" and it slopes, so the larger bag interfered with my seating position (yes, I know, but I love beer) and the smaller one is shallow, so mounted on the sloping tank stuff would fall out every time I opened it. 

I have since swapped all that for a SW Motech Engage tank bag - highly recommended. They also manufacture the Yamaha branded bags, buy the SW Motech engage, unless you feel you want a large bag. And the SW Motech tank ring is better looking than the Yamaha one, it is essentially the same as the MT-09 ring but with a spacer between the bag and that bag mount to make room for the plastic trim on the tank.

Seat
I eventually got the Bagster Comfort Diva seat. I haven't used it on a long trip yet, but on a 45 minute trip it certainly feels much better than the original. Recommended.

Screen
Very subjective and I don't think anybody has achieved really good results improving the original. The original did not cause any unpleasant buffeting for me, at 5'8", but it is very noisy. I have now settled on a National Cycle V-Stream Sport/Touring (mid size) screen. It is much quieter than the original, but I have some buffeting. I tried the tall one from National Cycle first - it was too big and affected the bike's stability.

Auto oiler
I fitted a Tutoro. I modified it slightly with Scottoiler fittings on the delivery nozzle. The Tutoro is simple and it works. Recommended.

Satnav
I use a Garmin 390LM which I have hard wired to the battery. I fit it on a ram mount on the handlebar clamp. Recommended.

Suspension
I had Andreani cartridges fitted as well as a Nitron R2 shock. The combination got rid of the brake dive and improved ride quality. Somewhat surprisingly to me the biggest gain was in high speed stability. The front no longer feels too light and the rear does not squat under acceleration. Expensive, but to me a worthwhile upgrade. I'll recommend it, but it is expensive and the standard suspension is not really terrible so if you think it is too expensive don't feel bad about not doing it. I do think that this modification has unlocked the full potential of the bike. I've only tested it over 50 miles but the improvement is instantly recognisable. 

I am looking forward to spring and summer, we have some nice rides planned.

All good things to know. Thanks for sharing.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks for the review Johan. Very nicely put together.  A short review here, after 26,000 miles, following your format.
Heated grips: Yes, a most enjoyable feature in the Northern States.
Fog Lights: I try not to ride at night and find the high beam on the FJ so bright that no one should miss me coming. But I will slightly aim it lower to help match brightness with the low beam as ULEWZ has.
Baggage: I have gone with the FJR side cases, because I had an extra set laying around. Minor redo on the lids.  They fit tight and I am used to them and have the bag liners too. (I have a FJR too). They are water tight. Only requires a $90 bracket.  As for top box or soft bag, I have chosen the soft bag as I have 4 to chose from and they all work.  I also have an extra JC Whitney 46L. top box, but felt it looked too big.  I even made a utility rack to mount the case closer to the rider to help with the proportions, but still didn't like it, but also like how it works with the soft cases.  I really perfer the hard cases though.  As far as tank bags, I use Tourmaster's mini, 10L, and all I can say is that it works and isn't too monsterous.
Seat:  OEM. I am using the original as I have had no problem with it.  With 26K on it, I have done 500+ mile days and two 10 day rides with over 4K ea. (no iron butt).  It works for me.  My FJR has a Russell Day Long so I am not unknowing of good seats.
Windshield:  I have a DIY windshield.  Cut down from a Yamaha FJR Touring unit made by National Cycle.  It was kind of a test unit on 3 other bikes and just works super on this one.  I'm 5-8 and 160 Lbs.
Oiler:  Just old fashioned, use chain wax out of the can and spray on every so often (300-500m)
GPS:  Garmin 780 wired from tank bag.  Also use to hear pre loaded music using a AutoCom system.
Suspension:  OEM.  Will use until the rear shock takes a hike.  Hopefully I make it to the 55K mark. (3 yrs)  Any way, if I am riding over the suspension, I'm riding too fast.  Most importantly, it seems to work for me.
Exhaust:  I like the looks of the stock system, from the headers to the tip of the exhaust unit.  I also like the sound and the quiet.  Works for me and it saves money for all those miles I put on it.  If the bike had 80 hp, I would be happy, if the bike had 55 ft lbs of torque, I would be happy.

Also looking forward to Spring and Summer as I have 30K plus miles planned.  But this year it looks like I will be splitting the mileage between the two bikes.  2015 I intentionally wanted to ride the FJ as the A bike all year.  I did 25.5K on the FJ and 3K on the FJR.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived