12v plug & GPS

direct wiring takes care of that :)

I have always had this problem as well. And with the way the outlets are mounted its difficult to use a rubber band or something.
  • Thumbsup 1
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Any advices to prevent my 12v connector to always unplug because of bumps/vibrations? Is there aftermarket 12v cable that can lock or something? For now, I'm using electrical tape...

I was able to use a small rubber strip along the side and it stays in tight.
  • Thumbsup 1
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
I hard wired my gps into the secondary aux fuse.
I ran mine back to the battery with its own fuse as supplied by Garmin.  I wanted to save the Garmin harness' original length for when I install it on another bike in the future.  This is the third bike it has been on.

I hard wired my gps into the secondary aux fuse.
I ran mine back to the battery with its own fuse as supplied by Garmin.  I wanted to save the Garmin harness' original length for when I install it on another bike in the future.  This is the third bike it has been on.
That's a good idea also, I just wanted to keep it as clean and not bird nested with wires. 

• 4 weeks later...
I use an Aukey CC-S1.  Its so small it fits entirely inside the outlet and there's less mass to vibrate out.  I've also added a little butyl tape around the perimeter to waterproof it.
Thank you, I already got one of these. Just have to check if GPS can work trough USB. Thanks for others suggesting me to add some rubber or adhesive tape around connector. 

On a related but different point.. and bear in mind I live in England...think rain...how vulnerable is the socket to water ingress?

On previous bikes I've always tucked a socket out of the way of wind blast.

I'm considering a little shroud / mini screen around the socket

Comments anyone?
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
12v socket is unaffected by rain. It has been tested today in the Ardennes. There is a drain hole.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found this thread searching for ideas or solutions to make a 12v plug not vibrate loose and lose power connection to the Yamaha 12v outlet. For those who don't want to hardwire or need a quick solution here's what I did. No modifications to the the bike.

I went to the local hardware store and purchased a pvc plug/end-cap that had a large enough diameter to nicely fit over the 12v male plug. I drilled a hole in the top of it large enough to fit the power cable through. Now you have a skirt that will fit over the 12v plug. I then drilled a small hole off center into the pvc piece to hold a small bungee. I also had to shorten the small bungee, but that was easy, too. There's a nice metal bracket under the instrument panel to hook the other end of the bungee to.  It works wonderfully. 

I may eventually hardwire it, but this works for now.

12v.jpg

Edited by CJ3cyl
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, CJ3cyl said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found this thread searching for ideas or solutions to make a 12v plug not vibrate loose and lose power connection to the Yamaha 12v outlet. For those who don't want to hardwire or need a quick solution here's what I did. No modifications to the the bike.

I may eventually hardwire it, but this works for now.

That's a good solution to a problem that you shouldn't have to address.  I never had good luck with the 12v socket and even had it replaced under warranty and then still had issues with losing power to my GPS.

I finally got fed up and hardwired my GPS and have never had an issue since.  I hardwired it to one of the switched aux plugs behind the screen so it turns on and off with the key. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***