12v plug & GPS

3 hours ago, betoney said:

That's a good solution to a problem that you shouldn't have to address.  I never had good luck with the 12v socket and even had it replaced under warranty and then still had issues with losing power to my GPS.

I finally got fed up and hardwired my GPS and have never had an issue since.  I hardwired it to one of the switched aux plugs behind the screen so it turns on and off with the key. 

Best way to do it, no chance of a flat battery if left for a long while, I've heard of cases, my Garmin 350lm starts up when I turn ignition on, goes into standby when I stop for fuel then boots up immediately with ignition on

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 2/26/2016 at 9:59 AM, michael said:
I hard wired my gps into the secondary aux fuse.

I ran mine back to the battery with its own fuse as supplied by Garmin.  I wanted to save the Garmin harness' original length for when I install it on another bike in the future.  This is the third bike it has been on.

If I recall correctly, the Garmin instructions for their Zumo XT hardwire harness with the  inline 5v step-down transformer states it does not require an in-line fuse (their car kit comes with a different 17mm mounting bracket, suction cup arm and the cigarette lighter power plug), and can go direct to +.  I didn't want to bother doing so until I have a need to change shields, so I crimped male / female bullet connectors to it and half of an SAE connector pair, and ran the harness so it was hidden to the left side and plugged it into my spare SAE power plug that has a fuse connected direct to the battery.

It was interesting to compare the routes, speed, times, distances, etc. between my Galaxy S21 running Waze (mounted to handle bar clamp RAM ball, double pivoting/swiveling socket arm & X-Grip with hard-wired power connector) and the XT.  The latter's screen did not however want to work with my leather, Gortex lined gloves??  I also have to figure out if it can show distance, time and mileage to destination like Waze does, rather than only one function...  Bright, super fast and sharp as a tack though!

20210425_154043.jpg

20210425_154433.jpg

20210425_154557.jpg

20210425_154620.jpg

20210425_154638.jpg

20210425_161447.jpg

• Supporting Member

@2and3cylinders - on the bottom right corner of the main map screen is what you are looking for. Press it to display trip data. And all fields on the main screen are customizable if you press them, you can change it to anything like elevation, direction, time, etc. 

if you are fellowing a set route, you can press that bottom right corner and select “up ahead” and look for gas.  VERY handy. 👍🏻

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

@2and3cylinders - on the bottom right corner of the main map screen is what you are looking for. Press it to display trip data. And all fields on the main screen are customizable if you press them, you can change it to anything like elevation, direction, time, etc. 

if you are fellowing a set route, you can press that bottom right corner and select “up ahead” and look for gas.  VERY handy. 👍🏻

Thanks a lot

I just got it and started playing with it

I only went for a ride to check the mounting, it was solid as a rock.

I don't know if you can tell what I did but it's a heads up display bar that can handle 3 devices.  

I really only got the GPS for touring not around town but it's a fun toy and I hope to learn how to use it plan routes etc my old garmin must be 15 years old. I think it was the nuvi 765-T.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Trip Data has what I wanted but it reduces the map size with it's sidebar but now I know and can "minimize" it and open it when needed.  Distance to destination is what I'll keep as default lower right.  I have a ton to learn.  Developing my own routes (tracks) is most intriguing.  I've tried editing and then "shaping" the route calculated by default, which is a bit clumsy and difficult but time will tell.

Enough off topic stuff but thanks all.