Graves Air Injection Blockoff Plates

Guest highplainsrider
ECU reflash from 2WDynoworks disables AIS electronically and there's no need to use block off plates. Simple, effective, done.
True, but that's not what he was asking.........  :P 

It is not possible to turn off the check engine light on the standard ECU, as you are creating a genuine fault when you unplug the AIS.  

I have seen some resistor plugs that are designed to emulate the AIS connection, and plug into the loom.

Or, you can get the ECU flashed........  (rofl)
Installed the Graves block of plates on my 2015 FJ-09 while I am waiting for my Arrow Street Thunder exhaust to come in. I took it for a 100 mile and no check engine light. My ECU has not been flashed. Just an FYI for anyone else that is considering installing block off plates without an ECU flash. It doesn't appear to effect a stock bike in any way. 

Guest highplainsrider
What if I like the sound of the popping/gurgling after install of my akro Ti exhaust. Will the noise cause any damage or issues?
Be be prepared for a lot of opinions on this. In my opinion - it is harmless. The popping and backfiring only happens when you are off throttle.  

What if I like the sound of the popping/gurgling after install of my akro Ti exhaust. Will the noise cause any damage or issues?
Be be prepared for a lot of opinions on this. In my opinion - it is harmless. The popping and backfiring only happens when you are off throttle.
Seems to be the consensus. Thank you kind sir!

Buy three small rubber caps the right ID for the hoses.
Remove the hoses and valve.
Install the caps, one will go on the air box, other two on the "pipe" ends of the stock covers.

Done, and you save like 90 bucks.

Or just stick a marble in the hose, stick the hose back on the air box, and you are done. (Use anything that fits, and plugs the hose at the air box, and you are done.)

Guest highplainsrider
Buy three small rubber caps the right ID for the hoses. Remove the hoses and valve.
Install the caps, one will go on the air box, other two on the "pipe" ends of the stock covers.

Or just stick a marble in the hose, stick the hose back on the air box, and you are done. (Use anything that fits, and plugs the hose at the air box, and you are done.)
The Graves plates are $35 at Revzilla. But yeah, caps or marble will work too.

Buy three small rubber caps the right ID for the hoses. Remove the hoses and valve.

Shhhh you're putting graves out of business! Also it doesn't look as pretty, and over time those vacuum caps may dry out and crack, requiring you to buy more 30c vacuum caps! 

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member

Just going to add to this... while I wait for my exhaust to arrive, I decided to not take a chance and get block off plates from Vcyclenut (about the same money as Graves).

I bench tested the air induction solenoid valve, and found that it is normally open, i.e. it passes air without power applied, or simply by just being disconnected. This means that when the tuner 'disables' (blocks) the AIS, they actually drive the ECU output high, energizing the solenoid and closing the valve. I am assuming these solenoids are rated for continuous duty.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Archived