Factor Touring Windshield

rogerolmstead

• Premium Member
I see that Yamaha has a new FJ-09 Touring Windshield available here: 
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fj-09-touring-windscreen?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2016|235&dealernumber=

Has anyone tried this yet?  If so, please post results!  I'd like to hear how it works.

That screen has been available since the bikes introduction. I've not heard one positive comment about it.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I think that clear barn door has been available since last year.
Here is what Cal Sci has to say in this regard, i found it interesting - 
"There's a very understandable desire for a very small attractive shield that will throw the air completely over your head. Can't be done. Laws of physics. Some people put little adjustable wings on their shields promising this; the wings can make a shield act 3cm-5cm taller than it is, but that's about it, and then the top of the shield has three parallel edges instead of just one in your visual field.

Stock shields are designed to look sexy on the showroom floor and sell bikes. Really, in almost all cases, the manufacturers are completely uninterested in the aerodynamic performance, they're interested in the marketing / sales performance. And their experience in wind tunnels is mostly on things like the CBR, so they're thinking punch a small hole in the air at 280kph, they're not thinking produce a calm quiet ride at 120kph.

I'm all about long distance touring comfort, riding 6 to 10 hours per day then being able to do it again tomorrow. I understand this means many think my shields look like barn doors, and I have essentially no customers under the age of about 34. On the other hand, guys over about 45 are completely uninterested in the small sexy shields: we mostly feel like we've already taken our life quota of abuse, and we certainly don't need to take more from our chosen hobby. If you're under 30, I'll talk to you in about 10-15 years. You'll feel very differently then."

• Premium Member
"I understand this means many think my shields look like barn doors, and I have essentially no customers under the age of about 34. On the other hand, guys over about 45 are completely uninterested in the small sexy shields: we mostly feel like we've already taken our life quota of abuse, and we certainly don't need to take more from our chosen hobby. If you're under 30, I'll talk to you in about 10-15 years. You'll feel very differently then."

They profiled me correctly. My Cal Sci large screen doesn't match the Transformer-like shapes of the rest of the bike, but it is much quieter than the original and I am happy with that. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

HA! I guess I'm a 'young 46' then. I understand what they're saying, but some screens do a better job of looking less like a barn door than others, while still providing some measure of wind protection. I've only taken 1 ride since installation, but I am hoping the Puig Touring screen I bought last fall will be an improvement over the stocker. IMO, it looks as nice or better than stock. Their marketing materials claim it was wind tunnel tested.

Edit:  Sorry if my use of 'barn door' was insulting to people who have those style of shields.

• Premium Member
I think that clear barn door has been available since last year.
On the other hand, guys over about 45 are completely uninterested in the small sexy shields: we mostly feel like we've already taken our life quota of abuse, and we certainly don't need to take more from our chosen hobby. If you're under 30, I'll talk to you in about 10-15 years. You'll feel very differently then."

Maybe that's why the guys at CalSci seemed so surprised to see my 66 year old carcass show up at their shop to buy one of their Shorty screens. ;-)

I saw an FJ-09 with the touring shield on it at the Timonium cycle show.  It was not complimentary to the bike at all.  From what I've read it doesn't perform all that well either.  What I did like about it was that it had the FJ-09 logo engraved in it.  I would like to see the aftermarket manufacturers offer this as an option.  It did look really cool.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

"I understand this means many think my shields look like barn doors, and I have essentially no customers under the age of about 34. On the other hand, guys over about 45 are completely uninterested in the small sexy shields: we mostly feel like we've already taken our life quota of abuse, and we certainly don't need to take more from our chosen hobby. If you're under 30, I'll talk to you in about 10-15 years. You'll feel very differently then."

They profiled me correctly. My Cal Sci large screen doesn't match the Transformer-like shapes of the rest of the bike, but it is much quieter than the original and I am happy with that.
Hi Estell - What size cal sci do you have?  I'm concerned about being able to see over the medium shield at the lowest setting since I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam.  I've emailed cal sci with my concerns because their FJ pictures don't mention shield size or setting.  I had a cal sci on my '10 Concours and loved it. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
TimG

• 3 weeks later...
I purchased the National Cycle VStream Tall Touring windshield last week and put 200 miles on it over the weekend. Very high quality hardware and mount. It looks great, almost like it is OEM. However, since I'm 6'3", I had to lower my seat to get my head under the turbulence. It needs to be an extra inch taller for me.

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased the Yamaha Touring w/screen. Much better than the stock screen.
I still get a little buffeting so it is for sale.
$125. shipped in CON US.

I paid $185 plus tax about a month ago.
If anyone is interested PM me and I'll send you some pictures and measurements

• 1 month later...
I use the Yamaha touring windshield with a small tweak to increase the forward angle and clear the stock hand-guard deflectors. Although it looks like a barn door there is absolutely no buffeting or wind noise and I can hear the exhaust note clearly. I have also stopped wearing earplugs, as they are not needed anymore. I am 6ft tall and I am more concerned with the ride quality than how I or the bike looks. In, fact, it grows on you over time.

Archived