New member looking to buy an FJ-09

cvw1973

Hello all...!!

I hope I am in the right place to be posting, new to forums, but I wanted to get some feedback from experienced riders.

I currently have a 2014 Honda CFR250L, that I bought new about 2 years ago. I ride it quite a bit, mainly on the street, some dirt from time to time, but nothing too crazy. I am 42 now, owned a Kawasaki 440 LTD when I was 17, and rode it for about a year, before selling it. Through the years I have ridden many friends bikes as well, from time to time, so I am certainly not an extreme Veteran rider, nor am I a complete novice.

I wanted to give a little background about my experience and with all of that being said, I really would like to purchase an FJ-09 and would like as much info and as many responses from those who own or have owned one, as to whether this would be a good next step for me.

I would primarily be riding it away from the City [live in Houston], and it would not be my commuter bike, I just want it to ride/tour/have fun on.

I welcome anyone's response.

Thank you in advance..!!

I'm not an 'experienced rider', but maybe like you I was wondering what bike I was ready for/good for my needs. Just below are my recent comments from another thread.
---
I'm a first time owner, had ridden bikes before, was going to buy a used 600cc or so. A salesman sat me on a new FJ-09 last October when I knew nothing about them, seemed like a lot'a bike, and moved on. Saw some video blogs reviewing this great bike...was the FJ-09. Your comment about the light weight and agility was like what I was hearing on the videos, and I started thinking 'new bike'. I'm almost done with my break-in, about 900 miles, and will likely do the ECU flash soon. This forum is a great source for maintenance and modification help, as I've been doing some wrenching.
---
For an ~850 cc bike the FJ is quite agile. For me at 54 years of age, and my riding style and likely use, this will be all the bike I need. I've got the Yamaha hard cases and heated grips (Seattle area)....and just got the ECU flash on Friday while in Woodinville (I live near 2 Wheel DynoWorks). The ride home was amazing...smooth power on, and great hp all the way through the rpm's.

I believe you will enjoy the FJ-09.

Hello all...!! 
I hope I am in the right place to be posting, new to forums, but I wanted to get some feedback from experienced riders.

I currently have a 2014 Honda CFR250L, that I bought new about 2 years ago. I ride it quite a bit, mainly on the street, some dirt from time to time, but nothing too crazy. I am 42 now, owned a Kawasaki 440 LTD when I was 17, and rode it for about a year, before selling it. Through the years I have ridden many friends bikes as well, from time to time, so I am certainly not an extreme Veteran rider, nor am I a complete novice.

I wanted to give a little background about my experience and with all of that being said, I really would like to purchase an FJ-09 and would like as much info and as many responses from those who own or have owned one, as to whether this would be a good next step for me.

I would primarily be riding it away from the City [live in Houston], and it would not be my commuter bike, I just want it to ride/tour/have fun on.

I welcome anyone's response.

Thank you in advance..!!

Welcome!

The FJ-09 is certainly quite capable of meeting the goals you stated ("...I just want it to ride/tour/have fun on").  That pretty much describes the FJ to a T.

Many here would caution someone with your history to stay with something smaller.  It sounds like you can apply self restraint in suitable measure, and, if so, the FJ is reasonably stable yet very responsive, quite light for its displacement and is capable of being entertaining even when not at redline.

Regardless of what bike you decide on, I strongly recommend taking the MSF Basic Rider Course.  Its usually rather inexpensive and only takes a long weekend.  Very well worth it.  Don't know if you have, but your description seemed like you would have included that info if you had taken a course.  I, and others I know, have taken it more than once.  Its a great refresher every few years.  I've always managed to have a new rider that I was "accompanying", which actually made it all the better.

Enjoy whatever you choose.  The FJ is certainly a good choice, with due consideration of what it has to offer when your skills and confidence are where you want to do more.  Just don't overdo it.

• Premium Member
Transitioning from a smaller bike to this one is not going to be hard. You are ready and the bike is really rider friendly. You will take it easy to start and then the only problem you will have is wiping the smile off your face for choosing such a great and fun bike, but then maybe you will leave the smile right there.

I chose the FJ09 as my second bike. I am 40yrs old, and my first bike was a CBR500RA. (Great starter bike btw) I had concerns initially about making a large step in upgrading, but I used the B mode for 2 to 3 weeks to get used to it and it allowed me to get comfortable with the bike. I was used to driving cars with very high output engines, so I think I learned restraint there, along with the normal lessons life brings by this age. If you have respect for this bike and aren't the type to be tempted by the devil on your shoulder too much, or ride with people who are "over the edge" kinda riders...you should be fine. As for MSF courses, they are never a bad idea. Stay safe, and good luck with your decision!
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
It's a good "almost everything" bike. I say "almost" because as you may have gathered it seems not to be a good choice for dirt...

I got it almost a year ago and I'm feeling like it was a great choice. My riding varies from rush-hour commuting, to running errands, to longer rides out of town to visit people, to the too-infrequent fun rides and tours.

It's small and agile enough for the city, sane enough for rush hour, fun enough for fun, and stable enough to load up and take a long trip on.

The one change I *had* to make immediately was the windscreen. Stock was super noisy and buffety--way more so than the naked I had before. Even 15 minutes at 50mph was tiresome to me. I got a Madstad 24" and have been happy with it. I raise it on long (30+ minute) highway rides, and leave it in the lower position the rest of the time for air. Your windshield needs in Houston may be different from mine in SF, but be prepared to hate the stock screen.

Not sure anything else has the same combination of just-right weight, fun, stable, fast, relatively inexpensive, simple, and (presumably) reliable. All the other comparables are either slower (DL650, Weestrom, Tiger), heavier and less sporty (all but S1000XR, Multi), noticeably more expensive (S1000XR, especially Multi), or likely less reliable (S1000XR, especially Multi). Although some (most) of them would be better in dirt, or on crappy pavement for that matter, so if those are big considerations, the decision may shift a bit. SF streets are terrible--the city cops here ride DRZs, with good reason. DRZ might be the right bike for most of the US cities I've spent significant time in, come to think of it. If I could have a few more bikes...

• Premium Member
PS

My FJ-09 (her name is "Cherry") is my third bike, not counting scooters (Vespa ET2/50 and Buddy 170i, both awesome).

First bike was Ninja/ER-500. Great first bike, although mine had some unfortunate mods.

Second was Triumph Street Triple R. It is a scalpel-like tool intended for shorter and more aggressive rides. I used this scalpel to cut a lot of sandwiches in half (boring highway miles). Although it had the sweetest exhaust note and the smoothest fueling...

Third is the FJ. Ahhh just right. It's equally happy on boring rides, on aggressive ones, or on longer ones. I may get the ECU flash which might make it smooth like the Triumph.

I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to read my post and give your thoughts. I really do appreciate it very much.

I plan to make my purchase at the beginning of April, and will post some pictures after the big day.

Again, thanks for the advice and information, I wish you all safe travels, and hopefully can meet some people on here to get to go ride with someday..!!

Not sure anything else has the same combination of just-right weight, fun, stable, fast, relatively inexpensive, simple, and (presumably) reliable. All the other comparables are either slower (DL650, Weestrom, Tiger), heavier and less sporty (all but S1000XR, Multi), noticeably more expensive (S1000XR, especially Multi), or likely less reliable (S1000XR, especially Multi). Although some (most) of them would be better in dirt, or on crappy pavement for that matter, so if those are big considerations, the decision may shift a bit. SF streets are terrible--the city cops here ride DRZs, with good reason. DRZ might be the right bike for most of the US cities I've spent significant time in, come to think of it. If I could have a few more bikes...
Perfect description IMO.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to read my post and give your thoughts. I really do appreciate it very much. I plan to make my purchase at the beginning of April, and will post some pictures after the big day.
Again, thanks for the advice and information, I wish you all safe travels, and hopefully can meet some people on here to get to go ride with someday..!!
Looking forward to the big announcement.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 1 month later...
I ride mine regularly on forest service roads. No single track but handles dirt (packed) just fine. I am in the process of getting Avon Trail Riders. Seriously interested in how this improves my off-roading over the stockers.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived