Who else dreams of an MT10 Tracer?

When I first saw the FZ09 (MT09) in 2014, I was contemplating a bike upgrade. My thought was " if they do a touring version of that bike, I'd be all over it". I think naked bikes look mean and all, but they're just not something I would own since I can only have one motorcycle. When the FJ09 was announced later that year, I was elated, and ordered one straight away. Now that we are presented with the MT10, I drool at the prospect of a similar evolution and what it might produce. I know it would cost a pretty penny, but if it comes to fruition, there's no telling what irrational justification I might use or sacrifice(s) I would make to obtain such a bike.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
I have had inline fours, twins and triples. The triple engine is far and away my favorite. I will take the (presumed) better mileage and lower horsepower of the FJ-09 over the FJ-10.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I guess the grass is always greener...
The "FJ10" would definitely have parameters that would upset the incredible balance (price/value for money, lightness/nimble handling, flexible powerplant, etc) our awesome bike has. Easy to take all this for granted when Yamaha dangles candy infront of you. But candy isn't good for you...
I just need to ride my nearly perfect FJ. Winter sucks!
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

A Versys 1000 is pretty close to what an imaginary FJ-10 would be. It's a nice bike, but I too prefer the triple for a number of reasons.

Although I will say the styling of the model that's making the rounds in the bike sites is very, very cool. Like the FJ-09 turned up to 11.

I love the thought of a fj-10 in theory. Don't mind paying more for getting more (am considering an r1200rs for example) and I do love the power/weight of the fj09.

But with my fj09 it sounded fine when new but by the time I got it home it now squeals very loud at lower rpm (exhaust covers the sound when higher rpm) and even with ear plugs it really bothers me. Guessing cam chain, dealer says within normal parameters.

So I am now gun shy about buying a new Yamaha as I would be even more heartbroken to lay out the bucks for a nicer bike yet and have it do the same thing.

But I will certainly keep an eye on what yamaha does going forward and I hope they keep working with the triple in addition to new 4 cylinders.

I still wonder if that is a radiator right behind the front wheel on the mt-10.  Based on how much debris my fj09 gets on the radiator which is higher, seems like a problem if a radiator.

A Versys 1000 is pretty close to what an imaginary FJ-10 would be. It's a nice bike, but I too prefer the triple for a number of reasons.

Although I will say the styling of the model that's making the rounds in the bike sites is very, very cool. Like the FJ-09 turned up to 11.

• Premium Member
Being a naked bike, it shouldn't be too hard to change bars, add a screen, etc. But if it comes with a small tank and a short seat to peg distance, well...just have to live with that.
As an Engineer, I am constantly wanting to fix things I should just leave alone. Ha Ha
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

What's crazy is the mt 10 is coming with CRUISE control where the fj didn't. But knowing how Yamaha does things is, probably next year they will release the fj 09 "touring" edition, that will come with hard bags, heated grips and cruise control.

What's crazy is the mt 10 is coming with CRUISE control where the fj didn't. But knowing how Yamaha does things is, probably next year they will release the fj 09 "touring" edition, that will come with hard bags, heated grips and cruise control.

My connection at Yamaha USA tells me that cruise control/touring edition is still a few years away for the FJ-09. The FJR1300 is still selling very well and the FJ-09 is a low priced sport tourer and they want to keep the price low. The MT-10 is not priced low like the FJ-09.

My 2006 FZ1 with all the mods I did was pretty dang fun to ride. Had no where near the low end the FZ09 and FJ09 has though, and while on top it would pull away from either of the 09's, how often do we really ride over 100mph anyway? (OK, have to admit the FZ was far too often over 100mph.... LOL)

I like the "narrow' feeling of the FJ and FZ09. Heck, they feel like riding a 250 around town, until you need power, then boom, you are going.

Perhaps the crossplane I4 is even more fun, I have not looked at the charts or ridden one yet... That's the problem, you ride the new bike, it's better, and then your doing the whole upgrade tango again...

Addicted to motorcycles... I guess it's cheaper than being addicted to cocaine but just as deadly. ;)

I think the MT 10 will be much quicker than a Versys 1000.
I have a new VK1 and an FJ, the FJ is quicker in a drag race but the Versys will over take it.
With the MT 10 having 145 hp it will be IMO quite a bit faster.
I am tall at 6'3" and don't think these old bones will fit on it too well,
The FJ is just so comfortable.
But yes I want one.

RC

Archived