• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Air Horn

Not entirely sure what you mean by "what is the hose attached to".  Obviously, one end attaches to the horn, and the other end attaches to the compressor.  The hose is how the air gets from the compressor, to the horn.  
What I meant was - 'what is the hose attached to?'   This is an entirely new device to me (I've previously fitted many a Stebel MAGNUM horn as a replacement for the squeaky-toy OE item) but would like to know how the Denali works.   What powers the compressor?   What does it look  like?   Where is it installed on the bike?   Please...!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Not entirely sure what you mean by "what is the hose attached to".  Obviously, one end attaches to the horn, and the other end attaches to the compressor.  The hose is how the air gets from the compressor, to the horn.  
What I meant was - 'what is the hose attached to?'   This is an entirely new device to me (I've previously fitted many a Stebel MAGNUM horn as a replacement for the squeaky-toy OE item) but would like to know how the Denali works.   What powers the compressor?   What does it look  like?   Where is it installed on the bike?   Please...!
Because the compressor requires additional power, beyond that needed by the OEM horn (as well as the Stebel MAGNUM, which is, essentially, an OEM-replacement part), you need to use a harness. There are two available - a DIY version, and the considerably easier "plug-n-play" version. Additionally, some bikes, such as various BMW models, require an adapter, as they don't use standard connectors. 
As I said before, the hose is simply attached between the compressor & horn...but there's no power between these two horn components. This is ONLY for the "Split" version of the Denali SoundBomb, as Denali also sells a non-split version, which had the horn & compressor together, as a "single" piece. If your have a LOT of available room to install (such as on a Harley), this might work for you...otherwise, stick with the Split.

As for the power, it's supplied via the harness, which has a relay connector at one end, and 4 lines (two long & 2 short) coming out of it. The short lines connect to the battery (one positive (red), and one negative (black)). As for the two long lines, one has two male horn connectors at the other end, while the other end has two female connectors. How you run the wiring through the bike is your choice, but connecting everything is as simple as anything gets - the OEM connectors (male) plug into the two female connectors on the harness, and the two female connectors on the harness plug into the two (male) tabs on the bottom of the Denali compressor. Once everything is wired up, plug in the 4-prong relay.

The last two steps are even easier...first, put the bike back together, then go treat the new horn outside the window of the least-liked neighbor at 2am. While some dealers (falsely) claim that the Stebel MAGNUM produces 139dab, tests done by others show an actual average of 85-90dB. The Denali SoundBomb, on the other hand, consistently tests around the claimed 120dB, if not higher. My neighbor said it reminds him of the air horns in 1950s Cadillacs...plus, he likes it so much, he's ordering one to go on his KLR650.

Thank you very much but I'd still like to see a pic/ diagram of the compressor.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
The compressor is the part that power is hooked up to, and creates the pressured air. This air is piped up through the tubing to the acoustic unit (or horn) to create the sound, or "make the iphones fly" as stated earlier.

I circled the compressor in pictures posted previously in this thread. In the picture from my install you can clearly see the wiring coming in the right side, and the air hose coming out the other side. Does that clear up your confusion? 

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

The compressor is the part that power is hooked up to, and creates the pressured air. This air is piped up through the tubing to the acoustic unit (or horn) to create the sound, or "make the iphones fly" as stated earlier. 
I circled the compressor in pictures posted previously in this thread. In the picture from my install you can clearly see the wiring coming in the right side, and the air hose coming out the other side. Does that clear up your confusion? 

Thank you - never having seen this device before it naturally sparked some mental inquisitiveness!   Installation looks very neat.

• 1 year later...

My bike has this box under the tank... what is it for?

EDIT: I guess it is the aforementioned charcoal canister but I live about as far away from California as you can get so I don't know why it is there, can I safely toss it?

IMG_2768.jpg

Edited by andz

7 hours ago, andz said:

My bike has this box under the tank... what is it for?

EDIT: I guess it is the aforementioned charcoal canister but I live about as far away from California as you can get so I don't know why it is there, can I safely toss it?

The charcoal can just came up another thread. You can remove it without issue if you follow the steps in first post or another thread on canister removal -- what to plug, venting, etc. IME they've never impacted performance other than a few ounces of weight savings.

Fwiw Cali owners don't really need to worry about the legality issue -- we don't have regular inspections, and even a full salvage and rebuild inspection they only look for stickers and have never verified the presence of the canister. Heck, I went though an inspection with pod filters on one bike and they didn't notice or care. That may change one day so I do throw them in a box as it's easily reversible but never heard of one being reinstalled. 

On 3/1/2016 at 8:58 PM, ontwowheels said:

California model Hoses: You will have one tank overfill drain line that remains unchanged. There will be a second tank line which is the vent line. Reconnect this line directly to the rollover valve (inline plastic canister about 2" tall) which has its line running down and exiting next to the overfill line. This one is important because it allows air to enter the tank and prevent a vacuum (fuel starvation), as well as venting an over pressure tank.

I am unable to locate the mentioned rollover valve to be able to complete the installation. Can anyone supply pictures of where this item is?

Well I plugged the hose leading under the tank as described in the opening post and just left the other one open to atmosphere from the bottom of the tank, put everything back together and the bike runs fine. I haven't taken it for a ride yet as it is raining today but hopefully all is well and it won't strand me somewhere!

Happy new year! 🥳