Chain Maintenance

I just got done cleaning and lubbing my chain for the third time since my initial break-in service.  I use the Dupont Teflon lub, Dupont Degreaser and my Grunge Brush, all available at Walmart.  Luckily it didn't need adjusting.  I prefer to keep mine just a little bit looser than what Yamaha calls for.  In another Thread I created, "The Perfect FJ-09", I mentioned that I wished the FJ had a shaft drive.  I completely agree that this would change the nature of the beast however I hate performing chain maintenance simply because of the mess involved.  That's why I wanted the shaft drive.  I've been spoiled since my 1980 Yamaha Maxium.  I called my dealer today and asked what they charge to lub a chain.  They said that they perform a clean, lub, and adjust maintenance for $23 (just over $20 with my discount) while I wait, no appointment needed.  I think from here on out I'll be taking them up on it.  Yes, I'm just that lazy.  Nowadays that's just one less lunch at the local bar.  Is anyone else as lazy as me?
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
The time that it would take for me to go to a dealer for this is worth too much. 
Then there's the fact I don't trust more than a few people around my bikes. I will have to verify its correct as well.
... and IME, it won't be.  I bet all they do is spray some grinding paste (errr... sticky chain lube) on it and call it good.  The job will be done by whoever is absolutely at the bottom of the technical skills heap, to boot.

Is this a joke thread? Seriously, it takes maybe 10 minutes max to clean and lube your chain.

Drive over a piece of cardboard that you lay on the ground (save and flatten boxes you get delivered), put the bike on the center stand, spray chain cleaner while spinning the rear tire, let it sit for a couple minutes, run the grunge brush, clean up any loose debris, spray lube. DONE.

Why would you spend time riding to the dealer, then waiting in line for them to do this? That takes more time and costs more money.

While chain cleaning can be applied as meditation, I think you may be at the extreme. A quick WD40 bath followed by a wipedown and optional chain lube product keeps it clean and quiet. I do this every 4-500 miles and all my chain drives have exceeded the expected lifespan.

Beer, music and WD-40. It just works.

That WAS me as well but I find as I get older I'd rather let someone else do the dirty work.  I will still install all my own accessories because I get some satisfaction out of that once the job is complete. I have always disliked chain maintenance.
Back in my younger days I would bring my motorcycles into my apartments (I always lived on the ground floor) and during the course of the winter I would literally remove and polish every nut and bolt.  Like you, this was always combined with many beers and really loud music.  My bikes always looked brand new, even the Enduros I rode. This practice made for great resale value.
Either way stay safe out there.

Brad
Selbyville, DE

OMG, you mean you have to spin the rear tire when cleaning the chain. Sorry guy, just messing with you. I totally understand what you're saying and I agree, it is dirt simple. I love hanging out at my dealer, it's a small family owned business with great people to BS and ride with. I'm always looking for something to spend money on when it comes to my bikes, that or even my next bike.
I don't steam crabs at my house like I used to for the same reason.  I'd rather somebody else clean up the mess.  Enjoy that Hawaii weather buddy, I'm jealous. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
Last Friday I went to my dealer for a new rear tire, Michelin PR3. I let the dealer install tire while I went to lunch. They tried to push a new front tire on me even though at least 3/4 of the tread remained. They also told me my chain was shot, only 5000 miles. They wanted $35 to service the chain, I declined. I clean and lube chain at least once a month and use a dry wax product. They told me that chain had zero maintenance. It has a bit of surface rust but no stiff links or wear, I live on a boat on the ocean. They left the chain very loose, more than an inch. Let the buyer beware.

Sounds like time for a new dealer.  I love the fact that you live on a boat.  I plan on doing the same before I'm gone for good.  Still working on the wife over that one.  Enjoy that lifestyle!
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I initially passed over the FJ09 because I wanted shaft drive, but the chain maintenance is not that big of a deal. In 5500 miles I have not yet needed to clean the chain. I have used Bel-ray Super clean chain lube from the beginning. I re-apply every 500 miles and I have not yet seen any grime that needed to be cleaned off.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I clean and lube my chain every other ride. I ride a lot, at least twice a week and over 200 miles per ride with my other gray haired hooligans.
Cleaning the chain and lubing it takes less time for me than checking the tires. Which I do every other ride also.
Bike rides very quite, chains, sprockets and tires all last a lot longer with this preventive maintenance.
I would rather ride than hang out at my dealers, but your hang out sounds cool.
RC

• Premium Member
I clean and lube my chain every other ride. I ride a lot, at least twice a week and over 200 miles per ride with my other gray haired hooligans. Cleaning the chain and lubing it takes less time for me than checking the tires. Which I do every other ride also.
Bike rides very quite, chains, sprockets and tires all last a lot longer with this preventive maintenance.
I would rather ride than hang out at my dealers, but your hang out sounds cool.
RC
What color did you get RC? I'm dying to add a green one to my garage! The FJ-09 needs a stablemate! About the only negatives I've heard about the Versys 1K is the forward sloped seat and off idle throttle abruptness. Some throttle "hunting" also in slow city riding. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I just had the chain re set by my mechanic, as I had him lube the swingarm, and he said it was in great shape. It has 12,000 miles on it vs. the first chain that was toast at 14,000. This chain is an EK designed chain for liter bikes. Next chain will be an EK desigened for 1300 cc bikes. Just stronger and will last longer. Note: longer mean less adjustments. Also noted was that the swingarm bearings were relatively dry. This is common on Yamaha's as Yamaha doesn't believe in wasting any lube.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived