• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Chain Maintenance

I reverse-engineered a bicycle chain 'dry lube' product, "Rock 'n Roll" a while back for bicycle use.
It's basically paraffin and oil (or grease) dissolved in toluene, with teflon powder added.
Like dissolves like, so you can use kerosene, gas, etc., but they won't evaporate off as quickly as toluene.
My mix lasts longer than the store bought product because I don't skimp on the wax or teflon, and it's about a third the cost.
So I started using it on the FJ, but I guess I won't know how good it is until the chain needs to be replaced someday. Works great though; doesn't fling off and doesn't attract dirt. Looks good so far.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys. New to this forum. Just bought the 2017 3 weeks ago. Perfect bike for me. Traded in my 2014 dl1000. Didn't work for me, I really gave it a go. I had a chain and sprockets that went 33k before it needed replacement for my sv650. No one could believe it. I always cleaned and lubed every 600 miles. It also doesn't hurt if you have an easy wrist. With a centerstand this maintenance takes 5 minutes. Plus you shave a lot of weight off the bike with a chain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
Mine has done that on occasion even when new after riding in rain. After riding in rain I use WD-40 to displace the water then dry it with a rag and apply a spray lube. Under normal (dry) riding conditions I lube the chain about every 400 miles. Its a sealed O or X-ring chain, it can handle some harsh environments, I use the same type of chain on my dirt bikes in Washington state and we get A LOT of rain here.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Will it wipe off like dust, or is it rust?

Since the other side of the roller is clean, maybe the alignment between the front and rear sprocket is off a little, causing chain to run to one side. Worn teeth on the sprockets have the teeth leaning to one side and enlarged radius between the teeth. When the chain gets worn, it stretches, and then you can pull on the chain backwards behind the rear sprocket and get a lot of slack as the chain pulls away from the sprocket.

the copper color stuff is the grease from the chain rollers seeping out from the seals...or did the hard chrome surface start wearing away on the rollers??? 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
Fwiw WD-40 is not recommended to us on O-ring chains because it is harmful to the O-rings.
Uh-oh, I see a can of worms being opened here soon.  ;) 
Seriously, I have heard arguments for and against wd-40 for many, many years, about as many years as I have been using it on O-ring and X-ring chains after being exposed to water.     YMMV.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Fwiw WD-40 is not recommended to us on O-ring chains because it is harmful to the O-rings.

This is a myth. WD-40 is perfectly safe to use on O-Ring chains. I know its youtube, but i trust the guys that make the MC Garage videos.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Uh-oh, I see a can of worms being opened here soon.  ;) 
Seriously, I have heard arguments for and against wd-40 for many, many years, about as many years as I have been using it on O-ring and X-ring chains after being exposed to water.     YMMV.

Surely the only people who can comment truthfully and objectively are the chain manufacturers.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

WD40 will absolutely not harm Orings. Period. The main ingredient in it is kerosene, which is what the chain manufacturers all recommend as the best thing for cleaning chains. That is why I buy kerosene in gallon jugs from the hardware store for next to nothing. Interesting product lineup from the WD40 folks in that link. Didn't know most of those existed.

• Premium Member
"What to use on your chain" thread. Just like an oil thread but worse. :P

Not to long ago I was on AdvRider reading a ride report from a guy on a Triumph Tiger who rode from New Mexico (I think) to Prudhoe Bay and back. It was close to 10,000 miles when he was done.

He never touched the chain. Never oiled it cleaned it or anything. He bought some tires about halfway through and the shop cleaned and oiled it for him.

This was the only "chain maintenance" performed on the trip. On some of the worst roads in North America.

Guess what? Nothing happened. I have no doubt that the chain was toast when he got home. So what. A chain is a "consumable" just like oil, tires, brake pads. Even if I took meticulous care of my chain on a trip like that over those roads I would change it out before my next "Epic" trip. Because that's the way I do things. I don't want to deal with it possibly failing on the road.

On this forum I've read about people getting 30,000 miles out of a chain and less than 10,000 miles out of a chain.

My point is chain life is extremely variable. Pull a lot of wheelies? Do a lot of track days? Ride hard? Or do you ride like "Miss Daisy"?

Clean it, oil it, adjust it when you can. Replace it when it's time. Quit obsessing, and go ride..... :)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived